Upgrade from tamron 150-600g2 to canon 100-400 ii

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I shoot with an 80d. I've been using the tamron 150-600g2. I'd like to upgrade to a canon 100-400 ii along with a 1.4x iii teleconverter. Is this combination better than my tamron? Will auto focus work? Do you think they'll be releasing a mark iii this year?

I've been meaning to check this out as a "real world" test. My Dad has the 100-400mm with the 1.4 TC, I use my Tamron 150-600mm G1. Mine seems to be a fairly sharp copy and I've not been totally convinced that centre sharpness is significantly better though mid-frame and corner sharpness does seem better on the Canon. Though you can get f6.3 on the Tamrons where the Canon at 560mm is F8. I think the autofocus performance is significantly better with the Canon

Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens Image Quality

From what I've seen I don't think the G2 copies are as sharp as the G1s.

I'd love something sharper but I think I'm gonna have to get a big white to really make a difference.

I'll take some test shots with both and tell you how they are. The 1.4x iii & 100-400 ii will be here tomorrow

I've been really happy with my Tammy G2. The nice thing abaout it, is that you can fine tune it at different focal lenghts, using the tamron tap in console. It was a real pain in the arse to do, but it really brought out the best from my lens. Years later I heard that Tamron europe will actually do it for you for free (bar shipping), if you send them your camera and lens.

I've been really happy with my Tammy G2. The nice thing abaout it, is that you can fine tune it at different focal lenghts, using the tamron tap in console. It was a real pain in the arse to do, but it really brought out the best from my lens. Years later I heard that Tamron europe will actually do it for you for free (bar shipping), if you send them your camera and lens.
Yes. I'm in US but I sent mine in. My first lens was messed up, something in it went bad and it wouldn't focus. Thet replaced it and I also had the second one sent in to be calibrated by them. I calibrate my lenses myself now but it was easy enough to send it out.

Not sure if it's an "upgrade" as much as a lateral move...150-600 is way different than 100-400...and adding a 1.4x converter cuts down on your f/stop... how beneficial it would be would depend in a great degree on both your camera and on your use scenario.

Not sure if it's an "upgrade" as much as a lateral move...150-600 is way different than 100-400...and adding a 1.4x

Agreed. I don't have the 150-600 but I do have the 100-400 and the 1.4 TC. It is excellent and still performs well with the TC. Only you can tell us if you see a difference between the two but I will say this: the build quality is great and the optics are too.

Love it. I don't think I'll ever buy a 3rd party lens again.

Good to know. I take it the AF is much better. How does it compare at the long end sharpness wise?
So my story is, I bought the tamron and got $500 off brand new. It was a good deal and I wanted to get into bird photography, plus i had just gotten off a knee surgery so shooting out my bedroom window was about all i could do camera wise. I sent my first one to tamron to get calibrated and a few months after that one went bad. Sent it in to get serviced and they replaced it. Second one got sent to me, I sent back for calibration. I was happy with it but noticed that at the long end it lost sharpness. I never could dial that lens in to get the full range out of it even stopping down. Recently during this pandemic I've been putting in 77-84 hours A WEEK so overtime has allowed me to pay things off and have play money. I first bought the 70-200 2.8 III and continued using the tamron. Originally I had contemplated between the tamron & canon and decided to try a native lens. I was happy I did. After my last outing with the tamron and another paycheck I purchased the canon 100-400 ii and got a trade in value $300 less than what I paid for it 4 years ago. I got my money's worth from that lens. So to answer your question as long winded as I did, yes, the sharpness is good at all ranges. The bokeh is amazing and colors seem to pop more with no change in in camera settings between lenses. I also got the 1.4xbox teleconverter and calibrated the lenses as is as well as with the tele on them yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks, I'll put it back on the consideration list then. I recently got my first L lens and it's fantastic. A super sharp long lens is on my list though I'm not sure wither to have the 100-400, a used 400 f2.8 L or just go for bust and get a used 600mm f4 L.

Used 600mm-L would be quite the tool for birding and serious wildlife shooting.

I'll get the 24-70 L next, that'll probably be it for a while

Most reactions

New Topics

Back