Upgrade path to full frame - DSLR vs. mirrorless

A potential dealbreaker I just came upon with the Z6 is the diopter adjustment. I strongly dislike wearing glasses when I shoot, so I typically use a corrective eyepiece to get to around -5. With my D500, I have it set to -2 internally with a -3 corrective eyepiece. Before that I had a D5100 set to around -1 with a -4 corrective eyepiece. The problem with the Z6 (and Z7) is that it goes to -4 internally, but there do not appear to be any corrective eyepiece accessories available. @HowdyMark (or anyone else), any additional information on this?

I did that ONCE, back in my film days.
The problem was, as soon as I lowered the camera, I could barely see anything.
So for ME, a corrective eyepiece while it seemed like a good idea, was not practical in actual use.

What would work is contacts.
Then I can see when I lower the camera.
But doc said they don't make contacts that will correct my vision problems.

So for ME, a corrective eyepiece while it seemed like a good idea, was not practical in actual use.
It's definitely not the right solution for everyone, but for me it works well. I haven't been able to wear contacts for a long time, and I can't stand the dirty smears on my glasses from pressing them against my face when I look through the viewfinder. For the last 10 years or so, a corrective eyepiece has been a great solution, but unfortunately it appears to have been overlooked on the Z series.

OK... Nikon responded and the exact quote is "It is the same for in-studio strobes as it's the default settings". And again, he reiterated that Nikon does NOT recommend quick, multiple bursts as it effects the sensor life significantly. Does not mean it can't be done, I suppose. As for me, I (mostly) use the SB-5000, so will continue to shoot single frame. As far as the strobe not being able to keep up, Fresh batteries and on 1/64th power, so I think it is more the camera as opposed to the flash. Your mileage may vary though. All that being said, the camera is magnificent if you can work around the few little quirks. Any more questions about this, hollar'. :)

I am wondering if there was a language barrier when the person reported that continuous firing with flash would damage the sensor? I can't understand the technical reason why exposing a subject with flash/strobe is any different than exposing it with continuous light if both are captured with a reasonable exposure, the camera sensor can't discern which light source is used to expose the photocells.

One issue that is plaguing the new Canon R5 is sensor heat when shooting video, in other words high frame capture rates. I wonder if this was the nexus of the comment with the Z6 & Z7?

A potential dealbreaker I just came upon with the Z6 is the diopter adjustment. I strongly dislike wearing glasses when I shoot, so I typically use a corrective eyepiece to get to around -5. With my D500, I have it set to -2 internally with a -3 corrective eyepiece. Before that I had a D5100 set to around -1 with a -4 corrective eyepiece. The problem with the Z6 (and Z7) is that it goes to -4 internally, but there do not appear to be any corrective eyepiece accessories available. @HowdyMark (or anyone else), any additional information on this?

On my Z7, there is a rubber cover for the eyepiece, it can be removed (Mine is quite tight though) and a normal diopter correction piece can be put in as usual. Not sure about the Z6, but it seems that it should be the same. If you like, I can ask Nikon about this as well. Let me know.

OK... Nikon responded and the exact quote is "It is the same for in-studio strobes as it's the default settings". And again, he reiterated that Nikon does NOT recommend quick, multiple bursts as it effects the sensor life significantly. Does not mean it can't be done, I suppose. As for me, I (mostly) use the SB-5000, so will continue to shoot single frame. As far as the strobe not being able to keep up, Fresh batteries and on 1/64th power, so I think it is more the camera as opposed to the flash. Your mileage may vary though. All that being said, the camera is magnificent if you can work around the few little quirks. Any more questions about this, hollar'. :)

I am wondering if there was a language barrier when the person reported that continuous firing with flash would damage the sensor? I can't understand the technical reason why exposing a subject with flash/strobe is any different than exposing it with continuous light if both are captured with a reasonable exposure, the camera sensor can't discern which light source is used to expose the photocells.

One issue that is plaguing the new Canon R5 is sensor heat when shooting video, in other words high frame capture rates. I wonder if this was the nexus of the comment with the Z6 & Z7?

Nope... he speaks perfect English and I speak enough Chinese where there is never a comm issue. I am sure that the high frame count plays into this. To me anyway, it seems like common sense that it would. The strobe also has processing that it goes through, along with the lens and of course the sensor. So, adding the strobe, which "talks" to the lens and sensor during TTL exposure may just tax the system enough to cause issues. I don't know, but my best (uneducated) guess.

On my Z7, there is a rubber cover for the eyepiece, it can be removed (Mine is quite tight though) and a normal diopter correction piece can be put in as usual. Not sure about the Z6, but it seems that it should be the same. If you like, I can ask Nikon about this as well. Let me know.
That would be great if you could ask - I may end up just calling Nikon customer support directly if I can find a few minutes during the day. I currently have a rectangular DK-20C correction eyepiece, which sounds like the closest match, as well as a DK-17C round correction eyepiece that I currently use. I wasn't able to find much useful information, but if the rectangular one fits, that would be awesome.

That would be great if you could ask - I may end up just calling Nikon customer support directly if I can find a few minutes during the day. I currently have a rectangular DK-20C correction eyepiece, which sounds like the closest match, as well as a DK-17C round correction eyepiece that I currently use. I wasn't able to find much useful information, but if the rectangular one fits, that would be awesome.

It should. To me, it appears to be a standard Nikon eyepiece. I will ask though. Is still early here in China (I get to work at 6:30... yeah, I am one of THOSE people... hahaha!) so give it a few hours and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I have meetings most of the day today though, so may be slow-going, but will try to get back to you ASAP. Be well, Adam.

It should. To me, it appears to be a standard Nikon eyepiece. I will ask though.
Very interesting - I made some inquiries and got some conflicting answers. I called Nikon and they seemed to not know and submitted a ticket for someone to get back to me. My local camera shop is pretty sure the rectangular correction eyepiece will not fit, as the Z6/Z7 have their own new shape eyepiece. However various forums showed people complaining about the rubber eyecup that came with it and swapping it out for another one designed to fit that rectangular mount with no issues. So the jury is still out on this one...

I think my next step will be try to get to my local camera shop to see if the internal diopter adjustment is enough. Who would have thought that would be the determining factor between mirrorless and DSLR.

D800 or D810 would be my suggestion. These two cameras are available for a relatively good price on the used market. you really do not need too many lenses.

A 24 to 70 mm zoom, a 70-200, and maybe an 85 mm prime and a 50 mm prime and an extension tube set and you have 90% of your lens kit already. You might wish to have a wide-angle or a macro lens, or some other specialty lens.

I think the best way to purchase lenses is on the used market, and there are lots of good AF lenses on the market right now. If Nikon goes to the Z mount
market in a big way I would expect that the prices for used F-mount lenses would drop somewhat, and you could purchase whatever you wanted at a good price.

I would not worry too much about your investment. I have found that high quality Nikon lenses are good for at least 10 years . The b85 mm a f s g
Is an incredibly sharp lens -perhaps the sharpest lens under $3,000. The 70 to 200 mm models are quite good.

the 300mm F4 AFS is quite good. The 180mm afd f 2.8 is quite good and is available for around $300 used. I do not think the Z mount lens lineup is complete enough unless you are happy with just three or four lenses.

In the past few years Nikon has upgraded their 80- 400 to a pretty good AFS model, and they have also introduced the 200 - 500 for a fairly affordable price oh, and they also have quite a few other outstanding lenses such as the new G series wide-angles and the 60 and 105 mm macro models. The F-mount AF lenses are in their full maturity, whereas the z series lenses are in their infancy. I myself would be happier with a good set of fully mature lenses than I would be with four or even five brand new lenses that represent the emergence of a new mount.

I called Nikon and they seemed to not know and submitted a ticket for someone to get back to me.
I got a. Response from Nikon and they confirmed that the is no correction eyepiece available for Z6/Z7. However it sounded like they were just quoting product documentation, and I am not fully convinced this is the case. At this point I’ve managed to convince myself that a Z6 with FTZ adapter is my best path forward, so I think my next sTsp is to try one and see if the built in diaper adjustment is sufficient. If not, look like I’m back to looking at used DSLRs.

Hu ?

If a Nikon F lens that was carefully handled would only last 10 years I would consider it a scandal.

Now Nikon Z, thats a different issue. Nikon seems to have recently "learned" that people no longer care for good build quality.

Hu ?

If a Nikon F lens that was carefully handled would only last 10 years I would consider it a scandal.

Now Nikon Z, thats a different issue. Nikon seems to have recently "learned" that people no longer care for good build quality.

Huh??? Do you own a Z? I have the Z7 and the build quality is very good, as is with the Z lenses. The sharpness of the lenses is magnificent as well. Not sure where you have your information from, but as a current user, seems quite inaccurate.

Hu ? I did not claim that Z cameras have bad build quality ?

And I'm no expert on that, not by a long shot, but people who are experts say that Z lenses have the build quality of Samyang lenses now. Thus I wouldnt be surprised if the average time a well treated Z lens can be used would indeed be merely a decade now.

Hu ? I did not claim that Z cameras have bad build quality ?

And I'm no expert on that, not by a long shot, but people who are experts say that Z lenses have the build quality of Samyang lenses now. Thus I wouldnt be surprised if the average time a well treated Z lens can be used would indeed be merely a decade now.

I used to write and test equipment for Popular Photography & Imaging, the Adorama Learning Center and Nikon has regularly asked me to run their gear through the paces as well, so I feel as qualified as anyone. In your response you wrote:

"Now Nikon Z, thats a different issue. Nikon seems to have recently "learned" that people no longer care for good build quality."

Your reference is generic and you did not specify what "Nikon Z" you meant. You also plainly state that they "no longer care about build quality". So, you did in fact claim this, which you stated in your last response that you did not. Please re-read your original comment. I have told others that the "Z" is a deceptive camera and lens combination and that the image quality is magnificent and so is the camera and lenses. Bar none, the sharpest lenses I have are the two Z lenses that I own. The camera is rugged and stands up to moisture and difficult conditions without any issues. Had mine for over a year and in heavy daily use, not a single issue.

Build quality is often a synonym for made of metal. Many modern lenses use industrial plastics even for things like barrels. I have a Tamron 90 mm that is probably 30 years old and the barrel is made of industrial plastic which is in most cases more shock resistant and dent proof than metal.

And I have read numerous articles where people be moan the quote build quality of a lens or of a camera when what they really mean is that the maker has used PVC or some type of other modern industrial plastic instead of the traditional metal or metal alloys of yesteryear.

So when someone says Nikon Z lenses have the build quality of Samyang,I really don't take that type of comment seriously.

Most reactions

Back