Urban Outfitters Should Be Ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those were all taken with a point and shoot. Likely by a store employee who grabbed a few friends and used the "shoot" as an excuse to dole out free swag to her com-padres. Unlikely that she is trying to "make it" as a photog, more likely that she is a store manager who is living in la-la land.

Why don't you stop complaining and go shoot. Or do you just take camera phone pictures of yourself and post them on your attention whore blog?

Aw, that was cute... no really... it made me giggle...

Those were all taken with a point and shoot. Likely by a store employee who grabbed a few friends and used the "shoot" as an excuse to dole out free swag to her com-padres. Unlikely that she is trying to "make it" as a photog, more likely that she is a store manager who is living in la-la land.

You could be absolutely right! My biggest problem was that Urban Outfitters was willing to give their stamp of approval, at least to have it on their blog.

Well just as your Ansel Adams quote says... "You don't take a photograph, you make it..." There is absolutely no style involved in those photographs... It looks like point-and-shoot with a disposable camera bought at the dollar store or something. There is no technique involved in those.

Well yes - you have a point there ;)

Now that is a theory worth looking into ;)

May it be as it may, either this person really has no idea what they are doing (aside from the technical aspect, the composition and the apprent camera shake, don't even get me started on the poses and/or lighting...) or, yeah, it is just someone who needed the fresh air and jumped at the chance to get out of the office ;)

You could be absolutely right! My biggest problem was that Urban Outfitters was willing to give their stamp of approval, at least to have it on their blog.
It's unlikely that the decision made it beyond the uneducated primary store manager, who thought it would be a great idea to do a TF deal (time for clothes) vs paying a pro photog to set up several locations for shoots and hire models. Most people with an expensive point and shoot think they have everything they need to take a good picture and can't fathom what goes into a pro shoot.

It's unlikely that the decision made it beyond the uneducated primary store manager, who thought it would be a great idea to do a TF deal (time for clothes) vs paying a pro photog to set up several locations for shoots and hire models. Most people with an expensive point and shoot think they have everything they need to take a good picture and can't fathom what goes into a pro shoot.

I disagree. Urban Outfitters is a much bigger name than that. They have a whole marketing team just to make sure that the image they are putting out is going out with style and to the right people. That's partially why I'm so shocked to have seen it on there.

I disagree. Urban Outfitters is a much bigger name than that. They have a whole marketing team just to make sure that the image they are putting out is going out with style and to the right people. That's partially why I'm so shocked to have seen it on there.
I spent 4 years dating a girl who was a GM at Express. She had 0 business education beyond what she had received from the company and had authority to do things much like this. You are assuming that because the company is big that things always go through specialized channels but I have to tell you that this is not the case. I've seen many cases where things like this are considered too "trivial" to be handled by the higher ups and they are happy to leave it in the hands of the young self proclaimed "hipsters".

Quiet please... the adults are talking...

So while you were blogging and taking crappy cell phone pictures at a thrift store, some no talent got paid. Are you bitter, or do you actually think you got gypped?

Hahah... yeah... you seriously made me laugh. That's so cute.

Yeah I heard that response already. Truth is complaining and blogging about your life (of which no one cares about btw) doesn't change anything, nor does it make you a better photographer.

As immature as this thread has been taken, I actually think Dieselboy does have a point (could have put it differently though)

I like spending time wondering the internet, content that is most valuable and interesting tends to be hidden among the tons of useless blogs/rants online from people who have somehow convinced themselves that they have something valuable to say. They say that we are about to run out of IP addresses... I WONDER WHY????

The OP's first post here on the TPF is a rant online... that's not too "adult" is it?

So what is the issue here? I didnt read the blog (I'm not one to up someone's blog counter from random posts - specially when the poster isn't able to argue her point with others and resorts to name calling and childish neener neeners).

I've been in Urban Outfitters and have seen the images they use. Actually, I see many name stores use what I would consider subpar pictures. Things with glaring problems in them, bad shadows, harsh light, horrible posing. All I can think is that the person who ended up selling their skills, taking those shots and getting paid is a great business person.

You don't need to be a good photographer to run a successful photography business. You need to know how to sell. I know some amazing artists who do amazing work but can barely pay rent because they don't know how to sell.

So what do I get from a post about someone ranting about the poor quality of images and how sad it is and unfair to those trying to make a living with photography? Take a business class if you are unable to sell your stuff and your skill. Learn the skills you don't have instead of complaining about the people who have those skills.

The entire rant (and all follow up posts), simply comes off as someone who is jealous that a subpar photographer with crappy image is more successful than they are, so instead of taking the bull by the horns, they just sit on the side lines sticking their tong out and being sad.

And this whole tangent about "these must of been taken by someone with a point and shoot" is pointless. People...the gear does NOT make the photographer. I've seen killer images done with a Canon G11 and even with cheaper cameras. With the right lighting and the right artistic vision, (and the right sales pitch) anything is possible. You don't need $20,000 of gear to produce good work. That will just make your life WAAAAY easier.

So I do agree with Dieselboy. If you dont like it, change it. Get out there and shoot with what you have, develop a style, shoot alot, take a class, learn to market. Grow as a photographer and quit the whining. Seriously, do you think being a successful photographer is about buying gear, having a blog and posting your images on flickr? That someone will find you and offer you $100,000 to take pictures of their dog? Its all about hardwork and determination. I swear, all these American Idol, instant star style shows have gone to people's head and have remove any type of work ethic.

*braces for the neener neener replies*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back