Used cameras?

Kpablo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just starting out in photography. I really like the 50D Canon, a long with a few others. I like the 50D, but I don't like the price tag on it, so I'm looking at my options.

On a search I found people are selling used cameras. What do y'all think about this?

I found a 50D Canon (body only) for 889$. Is that a bargain for a used? If I get the body only, what kind of lense should I get?

I like the 40D as well, but I like the fact that the 50D has 4 more megapixels, how much difference with that make? And why?

Thanks for the help!

I would say get a used 40D and spend the saved $ on a nice lens.

I think you would have much better image quality
i.e (4 Less MP + Better lens) > ( 4 more MP + Lower quality lens)

you are in the exact same boat as me and I am getting the 40D and EF mount lenses to allow me to upgrade to the full frame bodies later and not have to purchase new lenses; most likely upgrade will be 5D Mk ii

Thanks for your reply.

What kind of lens should I be looking at?

Trail season is coming up (woo hoo) therefore I will be indoors with very low lighting with fast moving dogs. But I also want to be able to go outside on a Sunny day and take pictures as well.

I've been in love lately with f/2.8 zooms that can stay at f/2.8 throughout the range. I would think for what you described in an earlier post that a 70-200 f/2.8 lens would be great.

You'll want something wider as well, but could get by with a 'kit lens' for now until you get more money saved.

If you know what you are doing, you can save a BUNCH of $$ (for other photo stuff) if you do buy used, like on Craigslist or eBay.

If you don't know what you are doing, would help if you could take someone who does along with you to check the camera out (but isn't a DSLR easier to check out right there on the spot than a film SLR was?).

Also, if you do buy used, if the seller does not have original sales receipt, understand the possibility that the camera you are buying could be stolen at some point in its' past.

But you CAN save a ton buying a used camera, as when you buy new, it begins to drop in value immediately, whether you shoot with it or not.

Maybe let someone here on TPF help you find one that you can buy or something like that.

Good luck!

check craigslist. before I bought an engagement ring, I had a girl who was going to sell me her 50d with the 18-55IS lens for $800.

BigTwinky pointed me in the right direction in my introduction thread, http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/welcomes-introductions/184090-getting-back-into-photography.html. I'm all ears in what to buy camera and/or lens suggestions.

My budget right now is 1,000 lens and camera total. But come January (after the holiday season) I can splurge a little more. I'd preferably like to spend no more than 800$ but after doing a bit of research, I don't see that realistic.

I've been checking Craigslist every day (I sound obsessed) but when it comes to make an offer I feel overwhelmed I'm not making the right decision in purchase with that specific model of camera.

Well, if you want a 50d, check the sites that deal in used stuff like adorama and b&h and ebay. (when looking at ebay, make sure you check the box for "show completed listings only") this will show you what an outlet site will charge for used gear and what people are actually willing to pay for used gear. There is usually a disparity between the two. This data will help you make an educated offer on craigslist. Also, low ball people. And stick to your guns. People selling stuff like cameras are usually quasi-desperate. They'll be willing to negotiate. Given your budget, I'd start with the 50d and the 18-55mm IS kit lens, and start saving for a good lens that is geared toward what you want to shoot (portrait? wildlife? landscape?).

that's my 2 cents anyway. I am trying to get me a 50d too... funds are unfortunately tight right now!

check craigslist. before I bought an engagement ring, I had a girl who was going to sell me her 50d with the 18-55IS lens for $800.

Lesson: If you don't get married, you can buy cool camera equipment :) Kidding! Buy both!

Is the 40D worth upgrading over an xti? Will I see noticeable difference with a 40D? I know the 40D has better specs (fps, digic iii, spot metering, etc) - but would it really be worth it for me to upgrade, say if I sold my xti and paid the difference to get a used 40d?

oh, and also, don't buy the 50d for the 4 extra mega pixels. There are so many other reasons to get it, like the better display and noise handling.

Lesson: If you don't get married, you can buy cool camera equipment :) Kidding! Buy both!

Is the 40D worth upgrading over an xti? Will I see noticeable difference with a 40D? I know the 40D has better specs (fps, digic iii, spot metering, etc) - but would it really be worth it for me to upgrade, say if I sold my xti and paid the difference to get a used 40d?

get the 50d man! forget that 40d mess!

I've been checking Craigslist every day (I sound obsessed) but when it comes to make an offer I feel overwhelmed I'm not making the right decision in purchase with that specific model of camera.

Most people haev never even heard of this, but if you ever need to check multiple CL sites (like all the sites within driving distance to you) at one time, want to do specific searches in specific areas, look into "CraigsPal", a search engine designed for CL by the CL people.

The basic edition comes as free shareware from Google.

There is even an upgraded version that will notify you by email whenever whatever it is you are searching for is newly listed on CL within the region (can be one city, or the whole world) you are searching, that meets your keyword criteria (has ability to both include and exclude keywords).

CraigsPal is really cool once you get used to using it...

CraigPal! Thanks so much, def. checking that out.

This is a video I found of what I will be taking pictures of, this video isn't mine, I found it on youtube with a search:

I will not only be taking pictures of these types of scenerios but also when I hike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't overlook your local (reputable) dealers for used equipment. Most take trades and may have some excellent buys for you. Plus, you would get advice on the spot. Also, check reputable magazine/on-line dealers like Amazon or B&H who specialize in trades and used equipment.
Don't buy blindly. Understand, while you may get a good buy and good camera, you are usually giving up any warranty protection.

oh yeah check out local shops if you have them! I forgot to mention that, because we don't have any here. hard to believe.

Most reactions

Back