What's new

Used SLR recommendation?

hastyle

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I'm looking to get back into photography, studied it in college, but got into 3d art and just haven't had time to get back into it until.
I wanna pick up an used slr first, and then maybe work my way to a digital. What would you recommend for a good used camera? I was looking at getting a canon AE-1, but i hear they aren't reliable, and is expensive to fix.


thanks.
 
I wanna pick up an used slr first, and then maybe work my way to a digital. What would you recommend for a good used camera?

If you plan to work your way into digital, you should plan for it now....

Older Canon FD mount lenses as in the ae1 do not migrate to current EOS/EF canon systems. If Canon is what you prefer, Id more likely recommend a film Elan or some later mid level film EOS so that your lenses can be used once you move on to digital.

I like my ELan IIe because of its layout. They should be obtainable fairly cheaply.

Other brands that maintained backward compatibility fairly well are Nikon and Pentax (kmount).
 
hmm, i never put that into consideration, I was gonna buy an entry level DSLR Nikon D3100. I seen some older DSLR ie Nikon D40 for 300-350 with lens, do you think its might be worth it to spend the extra cash and just get something digital?

thanks.
 
Last edited:
hmm, i never put that into consideration, I was gonna buy an entry level DSLR Nikon D3100. I seen some older DSLR ie Nikon D40 for 300-350 with lens, do you think its might be worth it to spend the extra cash and just get something digital?
.

I think digital SLRs have progressed far enough that most people would be fine with digital AND there's enough out there in terms of different price ranges (both used and new) that you should seriously consider just jumping into digital. Even older used models are probably more than good enough.
 
If you want to start in film and then go digital ... then look at Pentax or Nikon ... that way you can continue to use the lenses.
 
There's no reason not to consider Canon... EOS/EF has been around since the 80s (film days).. What dxqcanada says is mainly true of you are interested in older non-AF/Manual lenses (going back to the 50s)... not entirely applicable for the topic at hand.
 
Shoot, I totally forgot about the Canon EOS film cameras ... sorry usayit, momentary loss of reasoning.
 
pfft... Leaving out Canon... Not good. :lol:

I still shoot film quite a bit (almost exclusively, actually) - and I use Canon.
 
Ok well i i guess maybe i should just get a cheap digital, Any recommendation on a used SLR, around 300ish??
 
First, you can buy a used D50 or D70 for around $200. About the same price as a Nikon F100 (a great film camera!).

That said, if you want to go with film first. Look for a Nikon FE or FM with a 50mm f1.8 lens, you should be able to find that combo for around $75. I'd recommend buying on ebay vs. craigslist, as you are protected by their buyer protection policy.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom