What's new

Used SLR recommendation?

Ok there a shop in the area that is selling used d60 between 200-300. I found this online, seems like the D60 is much better?

Compare the Nikon D60 vs Nikon D70

But i also read that it is not versitile with all the lens, i always thought all new dslr would support the same lens, but is it true some will have less support then others??


First, you can buy a used D50 or D70 for around $200. About the same price as a Nikon F100 (a great film camera!).

That said, if you want to go with film first. Look for a Nikon FE or FM with a 50mm f1.8 lens, you should be able to find that combo for around $75. I'd recommend buying on ebay vs. craigslist, as you are protected by their buyer protection policy.
 
I think you will like the screen of the D60 a lot better. Some models have a built in focus motor while others do not. The D60 does not. Which means you will need lenses with a focus motor (AF-S). The AF-S 35mm f/1.8 will auto focus. The AF f/1.8 will not auto focus.

Does the D60 come with a lens? I'm probably dreaming.
 
hmm ok, so is the a smaller selection on lens for the d60 because it doesnt have a focus motor built in ?
no none of them come with lens, cheapest i seen with a lens is 400 bucks.

I think you will like the screen of the D60 a lot better. Some models have a built in focus motor while others do not. The D60 does not. Which means you will need lenses with a focus motor (AF-S). The AF-S 35mm f/1.8 will auto focus. The AF f/1.8 will not auto focus.



Does the D60 come with a lens? I'm probably dreaming.

Sorry I dont know enough about cameras to feel comfortable buying them online.
 
If you want to start off with film, get yourself a Nikon F100. The meter i swear to god is damn near infallible. It is basically a mini F5, a 5fps rubberized metal brick. You can use any nikon lens made since 1977 on it, and basically works like a high end nikon digital body, but with film instead.
 
hmm ok, so is the a smaller selection on lens for the d60 because it doesnt have a focus motor built in ?
no none of them come with lens, cheapest i seen with a lens is 400 bucks.

I think you will like the screen of the D60 a lot better. Some models have a built in focus motor while others do not. The D60 does not. Which means you will need lenses with a focus motor (AF-S). The AF-S 35mm f/1.8 will auto focus. The AF f/1.8 will not auto focus.



Does the D60 come with a lens? I'm probably dreaming.

Sorry I dont know enough about cameras to feel comfortable buying them online.

Yea, that's the only difference in lens selection. There are a ton of very nice lenses, new and used for the D60, D40, D3000, D31000 and D5000. Theses AF-S lenses for the D60 etc. will also work on a D90 or D7000 if you upgrade later to something like that (with in-body motor). There is a D60 here on craigslist for $400 so that sounds very reasonable. There are several D40s for $400 also which is a little on the high side.

These prices are why I favor the D3000 with lens at adorama for $375.
 
Ok there a shop in the area that is selling used d60 between 200-300. I found this online, seems like the D60 is much better?

Compare the Nikon D60 vs Nikon D70

But i also read that it is not versitile with all the lens, i always thought all new dslr would support the same lens, but is it true some will have less support then others??

The D60 has a better sensor, but more limited features (lacking an AF motor is one of them). If you want a camera that has the features of a D70, and the sensor of a D60, you want a D80.

You can buy a used D80 for as little as $300. I've purchased a couple of nearly new D80's for friends for $300 or less; my trick is to find one that is bundled with a vertical grip (nikon brand MB-D80 to be exact). These grips resell on ebay for around $120. It's not that hard to find a D80 in great condition with the grip for $400. Resell the grip, and you're only paying $300.
 
Last edited:
I have a eos 3 film camera and I tried to do the same thing that you are doing. I bought a couple lenses and was playing around trying to learn, but it is a very expensive and slow way to learn. I still like the look of film, but can't beat the cheap experience you get with digital. I have a 20d now that uses the same lenses as my eos 3 (obviously with the crop factor), and like it for learning. I see them a lot on craigslist for about 250-300 dollars- sometimes less. I don't see much difference between that and a 30d except a larger screen, and i think the 30d has a spot meter (which I really wish I had), but it's up to you what you need. The 8mp with both of these is fine to 8 by 10, probably a little bigger I just haven't needed bigger. Again though, I like both cameras and when I start getting more consistently good photos I may go back to using film more. Maybe not 35mm though- I might try medium format.

I would stick with canon or nikon though. I am partial to canon only because that is what I started with because that is what my dad used- actually where I got my first slr- an ae-1 program (one of about 5 that he had, he wouldn't give me an f-1 to learn on). Also the compatibility seems more straightforward with canon, there's 2 most common mounts- fd and ef. There is also ef-s but if you stick to aps-c sensors then any ef will work. Nikon seems more confusing with focus motors in some lenses but not others, but maybe that's because I never paid a lot of attention to nikon- maybe it's less confusing once you get used to it.
 
I would always opt to bring someone a little more experienced (or anyone to a craigslist buy for that matter, you can never be too careful). I'm not sure if the used D-SLR guide goes into this but if you have a friend with a copy of photoshop or any program that can read EXIF data well you'll want to take a picture and check the camera's actuation count (the amount of times the shutter has been released, essentially). That information can be found in the EXIF data of any image taken with the camera. If it's anything north of 50,000 you'll want to pass as the camera has less life left and broken SLRs can be expensive to fix.

Really you'll want a camera with less than 15,000 actuations and I'm being generous there. Rarely will an SLR fail after less than 30,000 unless you beat it up--most should get you at least 80,000 if well-maintained--but it's certainly something you'll want to check.

As for the built-in motor question, it depends on what kind of photography you enjoy doing. AF-S lenses are very quiet but the selection is more limited and if you really do not want to manually focus or if you plan on taking pictures of moving subjects (kids/sports/wildlife) then you'll find that limitation tiresome. Generally the lenses will allow for distance data so a little AF indicator light will go off in the viewfinder when your subject is in focus but that is just one more thing to distract you from good composition.
 
hey thanks for the info, i believe i will go for the d80, it has all the features plus it has the built in autofocus. there is someone selling one locally for 300 with lens is this a good deal or too good to be true??

Nikon D80 + 50mm 1.8

what do u guys think about this guide to buying used dslr? or should i just bring someone more experienced in dslr?

A Guide to Buying Used DSLR Gear

That is a very good deal! about $150 under market value. You should definitely check it out. If the camera works, then buy it. I sold a D80 for $285, but that was because it had 60k shots on it and a slight crack in the body.
 
thats good to know, i got photoshop, will look into this before buying the camera, thank you.

I would always opt to bring someone a little more experienced (or anyone to a craigslist buy for that matter, you can never be too careful). I'm not sure if the used D-SLR guide goes into this but if you have a friend with a copy of photoshop or any program that can read EXIF data well you'll want to take a picture and check the camera's actuation count (the amount of times the shutter has been released, essentially). That information can be found in the EXIF data of any image taken with the camera. If it's anything north of 50,000 you'll want to pass as the camera has less life left and broken SLRs can be expensive to fix.

Really you'll want a camera with less than 15,000 actuations and I'm being generous there. Rarely will an SLR fail after less than 30,000 unless you beat it up--most should get you at least 80,000 if well-maintained--but it's certainly something you'll want to check.

As for the built-in motor question, it depends on what kind of photography you enjoy doing. AF-S lenses are very quiet but the selection is more limited and if you really do not want to manually focus or if you plan on taking pictures of moving subjects (kids/sports/wildlife) then you'll find that limitation tiresome. Generally the lenses will allow for distance data so a little AF indicator light will go off in the viewfinder when your subject is in focus but that is just one more thing to distract you from good composition.
 
On the shutter count issue, while a high shutter count does mean it's more likely to fail. However, the d80 is still highly reliable until around 100k clicks.

For me it's a matter of price. If a camera has 50-60k on it, that should be factored into the asking price--I would expect to spend nearly $100 less for that camera compared to one with a low shutter count.

Here's a good source of data on this issue:
nikon_d80.htm
nikon d80 | Camera Shutter Life Database
 
Minolta XD 11.

skieur
 
If you are just looking for a starting point and want something a bit decent, I would go for either the Nikon D80 or the D200. Both cameras are about the same price used. The D80 is newer and uses SD cards but the D200 can accommodate a greater range of lenses, in fact anything back to the early AI (circa1970) lenses can fit and meter although you will be focussing manually. Upside is that you have a huge range of glass to pick from, many of which can be picked up for minimal cash outlay. Even if you for the newer and less complex D80, you can play with any AF lens Nikon produced, as the D80 has the autofocus motor built in to the camera. Again, lots of nice lenses at low(ish) prices. Don't know about US prices, but here in the UK I picked up a Nikon 80-200mm f4-5.6 zoom for £70 and a superb Nikon 28-85mm f3.5-4 AFn zoom(based on the great AIS manual lens) for £50. D80 body cost me £250 on eBay.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom