Using An M42 Lens on a Canon EOS 650?

Bulb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Update: The lens works now. I ordered another adapter (with AF confirmation this time) and it works very well.

Hey, everyone.

I'm new to photography and recently I purchased a Canon EOS 650. I quickly realized that the kit lens wasn't going to cut it so I bought a better zoom lens from a pawn shop and I ordered a fast prime online.

The trouble is that the prime (a SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4) uses an M42 mount. When using the Photodiox M42 - EOS adapter I bought, the shutter refuses to open and 'bc' blinks on the LCD.

I've gone through the basic troubleshooting steps:
  • The battery is practically brand new
  • Using any other lens works perfectly (on AF and manual)
  • Removing the lens and having only the adapter on the camera does not fix the problem
  • Having absolutely no lens or adapter will allow the shutter to open
  • The adapter does not appear to be contacting the pins
  • The mirror does not appear to be hitting the adapter when it swings back
  • I've tried switching to Av and matching the aperture to what the ring is set to
  • I've tried switching to Av and setting the aperture to f/1.0
  • I've called Photodiox and they've assured me that their products are perfect and this is not a common problem

This has led me to believe that the adapter is causing the problem, but I'm at my wit's end figuring out why. I was looking forward to using this lens on my upcoming trip to capture landscapes, nature shots, and a bit of the local culture. I don't want to order another lens adapter if that isn't even the problem, or if it is a problem that will happen with any adapter I use.

Thanks for reading my post. Any help is appreciated.

Update: The problem was solved. The problem seems to be AF confirmation. A replacement with AF confirm arrived from EzFoto and it works pretty well. Sometimes the lens needs to be reattached a few times before it's recognized, but besides that there aren't any problems.

Update #2: The adapter is no longer working. My camera is metering at ISO 200 30" f/1.4 even in normal lighting. I've returned this one as well and will continue to look for one that does what is promised.

Last edited:
Can you try shooting with the camera in Manual mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed manually? That should work.

Can you try shooting with the camera in Manual mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed manually? That should work.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no luck.

The same thing happened again: I heard the sound of the mirror moving and then I saw 'bc' flashing in the LCD until I pressed the shutter button again.

The SMC Takumar protrudes a bit in the back, and can interfere with the mirror operation. This is a problem with several Canon bodies, and probably what is happening with your camera. Apparently, M42 lenses 135mm or longer don't have that problem. There are other manual primes that are reported to work fine with their respective adapters.

The SMC Takumar protrudes a bit in the back, and can interfere with the mirror operation. This is a problem with several Canon bodies, and probably what is happening with your camera. Apparently, M42 lenses 135mm or longer don't have that problem. There are other manual primes that are reported to work fine with their respective adapters.

Even if I take the lens off and leave the adapter, it still won't work.

I think what they are suggesting, is that the Adapter may be protruding back into the camera too far, and thus getting in the way of the mirror. It's a possibilty...although, I would think that an EOS adapter would be made to specifically avoid that. :scratch:

I think what they are suggesting, is that the Adapter may be protruding back into the camera too far, and thus getting in the way of the mirror. It's a possibilty...although, I would think that an EOS adapter would be made to specifically avoid that. :scratch:

It's definitely possible. I don't see anything that could be hitting, but maybe the adapter just barely too close for the mirror to properly clear it.

I've ordered another adapter from a different company, one with AF confirmation this time.

If this new adapter works, the adapter was at fault. If this new adapter doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back