UV Haze Filter

mei428

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ever since when I got my D3000, I've always had a Tiffen UV Haze filter on it. The only reason I got it was there were some forums that suggested it and it will protect my original lens from scratches and dust. Now I'm wondering if it is necessary/recommended and does it make it big difference in my photos?

take it off and try test shots to see the difference?

I don't use UV filters for protection or haze whatever.

I'm with Geaux - my UV filter sits in my camera bag collecting dust and has done since I got it

I don't use them, and if they are cheaply made they can definately effect the IQ of your lens. I only use them or recommend them in dangerous situations like near salt water, or flying debris ( like mud at a motocross track or in a place that has frequent sand storms etc. )

Some people swear by them though.

I don't know what lens/lenses you use, but I personally shoot L glass on my Canon. I've never understood why you would put a $50.00 or so piece of glass over a $1000.00 and up lens. Doesn't make sense. If you need protection, use the lens cap.

In most cases, other than what I described in my original response, the lens hood will protect from any accidental bumps or scratches. You should always be using your lens hood.

I don't know what lens/lenses you use, but I personally shoot L glass on my Canon. I've never understood why you would put a $50.00 or so piece of glass over a $1000.00 and up lens. Doesn't make sense. If you need protection, use the lens cap.

I wish I have $1000 and up lens lol I only own two lenses. the stock for nikon and the 50mm 1.8

Ah I should've gotten a lens hood instead then. I will get one as soon as I get my next pay check! Thanks for the advice guys! :]

Also, is there any situations where I should not use a lens hood?

Also, if you are doing macro work the hood often times can block the flash or bump your subject if you are doing super close up work ( and if you use a ring light you can't have the hood attached anyway ). Some filters can be a pain with hoods like a CPL because you can't turn it easily with the hood on.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back