vegetables can be for everyone

I googled that too :) and it seems similar. From the pictures I saw on google there are differences but you explained the basics.

f.e. when preparing wild boar or venison this way, the tray and the lid would be completely covered with the coal for a few hours and the coal must be watched constantly because of the temperature. As soon as the temperature goes down the coal must be changed.

Yes, it's that way with dutch oven cooking too. Something like venison would require changing the coals. I didn't mention it because usually with the scouts, the meals we have them prepare don't require cooking long enough to need to change the coals. But they do have to be watched carefully. Scouts (generally boys aged 11-18) aren't really so good at "watching carefully" so we get a lot of charred bottoms or tops on the food sometimes!

For any of you that do non-backpack style camping (heavy dutch ovens don't lend themselves well to hiking!) or just do a lot of outdoor stuff...google dutch oven recipes, pick up a dutch oven and give it a try. It's a great way to prepare food outdoors!

Looks like pan roasting to me. I don't know any other name for it. I've cooked vegetables like that before, but a more simple mix. I've done root veg (parsnip, turnip, carrot, etc.) tossed with a little olive oil and baked in the oven.

and...... I completely forgot to add...

After eating vegetables you feel so light and can play like a child :)

010314_0210-Large-610x405.jpg

Nice photographs, BTW.

Vegetables, those are the green ones right?
hm...grrrrr.... you are soooooo wrong too!

So they are not the green ones? They must be the orange ones then. Me I just sort of shove those off to the side. I mean I've seen some of the stuff my dog will eat, and if he turns his nose up at them well that should tell you something is not quite kosher right there. So I just stick with the four basic food groups. Red meat, not so red meat, Bacon, and French Fries.

Glad you were able to open their eyes to new possibilities! I am sure Ed "Oldhippy" will approve as well. Thanks for sharing as this looks like such a wonderfully delicious way to prepare food.

Veggie Lovers Unite

Looks like pan roasting to me. I don't know any other name for it. I've cooked vegetables like that before, but a more simple mix. I've done root veg (parsnip, turnip, carrot, etc.) tossed with a little olive oil and baked in the oven.
no no no no! you can't get that certain flavor with the ordinary oven. You can get it just this way. You should try preparing like this and you couldn't ever compare this to the simple pan roasting :)

Nice photographs, BTW.
nice to hear that!
the last one is not mine obviously, but I think it goes with tpf rules

So they are not the green ones? They must be the orange ones then. Me I just sort of shove those off to the side. I mean I've seen some of the stuff my dog will eat, and if he turns his nose up at them well that should tell you something is not quite kosher right there. So I just stick with the four basic food groups. Red meat, not so red meat, Bacon, and French Fries.
beware robbins beware of your food!

You silly gorilla. All the experts agree that the more "colorful" your diet--lots of green, red, purple, orange, and yellow--the healthier your diet.

This is why I eat a lot of M&Ms. :lmao:

And you don't even have the right four food groups. The four basic food groups are Sugar, Caffeine, Carbs and Fat. Get enough of those in your daily diet, and you'll be better off. You'll DIE early, but you'll die fat and happy, and alert. :lmao:

beware robbins beware of your food!

Do you think it's plotting against me? I mean now that you mention it that would explain a lot... lol

You silly gorilla. All the experts agree that the more "colorful" your diet--lots of green, red, purple, orange, and yellow--the healthier your diet.

This is why I eat a lot of M&Ms. :lmao:

And you don't even have the right four food groups. The four basic food groups are Sugar, Caffeine, Carbs and Fat. Get enough of those in your daily diet, and you'll be better off. You'll DIE early, but you'll die fat and happy, and alert. :lmao:
*Makes mental note to accept any offers of supper that Sharon may put forth*

Most reactions

Back