Very very soft landscape

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Some times or even quite often I will really like a picture no one else seems too, so a reality check is in order. I am going to start working on a portfolio of sorts and I am teetering on choosing this one as it is very different from my other landscapes. So no offence taken if you think it's too boreing.

The softening of the picture comes courtesy of the pouring rain. My camera settings are flat and I left it that way. Suggestions are always welcome.

IMG_1933.jpg

I actually like the mood that it creates in this shot. I wouldn't say it "wow'ed" me, but I do like it. Its a shame the colors aren't just a little more dramatic, that would probably make a huge difference. Overall, I'd say its ok...definitely not one to toss out.

I love the light on the water. I see why you like it. It's a pretty scene, and you have the benefit of having been in the moment, too. :thumbup:

That said...I still say this image is crying out for some contrast. Not too much or you'll lose your lower values, but some. Would love to see that tree a little brighter. :)

Keeper of a shot. Yes. Portfolio worthy, probably not. If this had more punch of color, like during the fall, I would really like it. I just think it needs something. Just my 2 cents though.

Appreciate the feed back. On this version I tightend the levels, added sharpening, and contrast all very slightly.

IMG_1933b.jpg

Edit: It also brought out speckels from the rain seen at the back of the river. I may have brightened to much as it lessens the bad weather feel.

i actually like the first picture better... i can see what the others are talking about, but the first picture is still tops in my book. it's very much like a painting again :p

nothing about it is spectacular, but it's a very serene photo and exudes an air of serenity. ahh... i'm more relaxed just looking at it again :)

The second image has improved it! Definitely looks better.

I would agree with Kevin about hesitating before adding it to your portfolio, however. Your portfolio should be reserved only for those slam-dunk shots, not the more questionable ones. Just my two cents. :)

Your so right Terri, seems if one has to think about it too hard, it's best to move on. Really appreaciate the reality check everyone. I really love subtle beauty and when a photographers can pull it off I am totally impressed. I think I was close on this one, but I agree it didn't quite make the grade.

Most reactions

Back