Video game idea?

mrsid99

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Topic of discussion this morning was the new Brit video game that revolves around shooting at JFK, well it was suggested that we make something in a similar vein for the Brit market.
So here's a suggestion: the name of the game would be "Princess Die!".
Players would be paparazzi on motorcycles and the object of the game is to cause a car crash and then to take as many pictures as possible of the bodies before the police arrive, think it would sell?
Should definitely make the top ten of most tasteless though.

Hmm. Think you might upset one or two people over here - the tabloid press has almost beatified her.
You could have a crack at shooting Tony Blair, though. For real I mean. We wouldn't mind...

I know what I'm asking santa for christmas :wink:

But the whole point of the game is to prove that he was only shot by Oswold (sp?) isn't it. So I can't how your idea compares.

Still, as long as it has crash data unlike Gran Turismo I'll think about buying it. ;)

There is also a game based on 9/11 in the talking stage at the moment. Which brings up an interesting debate. Most of you will be disgusted by that. You'll look at it as someone profiting from people's lives and being disrespectful to the people who died. But do you have the same view of games that are based around WWII? Many of you won't, so why not?

I'm not trying to start a debate here or offend anyone. Just saying...

ferny said:
But the whole point of the game is to prove that he was only shot by Oswold (sp?) isn't it. So I can't how your idea compares.

Still, as long as it has crash data unlike Gran Turismo I'll think about buying it. ;)

There is also a game based on 9/11 in the talking stage at the moment. Which brings up an interesting debate. Most of you will be disgusted by that. You'll look at it as someone profiting from people's lives and being disrespectful to the people who died. But do you have the same view of games that are based around WWII? Many of you won't, so why not?

Argh!! people drive me nuts... I agree here ferny. First- it's only a game!!! Second- if ya don't like it turn that sucka off cuz ain't nobody holding yer head towards the tv(well hopefully not). Third- people are just way too damn sensitive about crap!! I mean i might not be into playing the Jeffrey Dahmer home edition but some freak out there might. Not to mention all of this practice we're getting as we wait for armegeddon to finally set in. So quit yer bitchin and go blow some sh@t up. :shock: Sorry Im just really sick of how things are being turned into a goodie- goodie dayglow society and that common sense has become a dying ideal of the 90's.

ferny said:

Some people have been profiting off 9/11 since 9/11.

i play war games alot. and because of that, i wouldnt see a difference in a 9/11 game as opposed to a WWII game. they are just games.

md

voodoocat said:
ferny said:

Some people have been profiting off 9/11 since 9/11.

VERY TRUE!!!!!!

Both games are in really bad taste. Sid is more old school, prolly remembers where he was when JFK was murdered. He is more emotionally attached then the younger people on this forum. I wouldn't buy either myself, even if they were the best games ever, 9/11 isn't a WWII game at all. there is 60 yrs of separation between the events and the game. With 9/11 there is only 3 yrs.

Most WWII games revolve around the war itself, (with the exception of the Normandy invasion) and they don't target specific people in history. What i mean by that is that the objective isn't to walk thru concentration camps, or trying to assasinate Hitler. If you choose the german or Japanese sides the specifics are even more distant. Also the fact that about 80% of the people that lived in that era are no longer around helps ease the tensions that developing a game like that could bring up.

I still to this day hear small amounts of controversy about some of the more realistic WWII games. 9/11 and JFK however are still to sore in peoples hearts exploite in that way. I agree with Voods that many people have profitted off 9/11 but this is too blatent.

Sorry Sid i didn't want to make you sound like an old man, but i agree with you. If they are developing that game, lets make a graphic game of Princess Di. Getting extra points for selling the photos on Ebay....

Havoc said:
Both games are in really bad taste. Sid is more old school, prolly remembers where he was when JFK was murdered. He is more emotionally attached then the younger people on this forum. I wouldn't buy either myself, even if they were the best games ever, 9/11 isn't a WWII game at all. there is 60 yrs of separation between the events and the game. With 9/11 there is only 3 yrs.

Most WWII games revolve around the war itself, (with the exception of the Normandy invasion) and they don't target specific people in history. What i mean by that is that the objective isn't to walk thru concentration camps, or trying to assasinate Hitler. If you choose the german or Japanese sides the specifics are even more distant. Also the fact that about 80% of the people that lived in that era are no longer around helps ease the tensions that developing a game like that could bring up.

I still to this day hear small amounts of controversy about some of the more realistic WWII games. 9/11 and JFK however are still to sore in peoples hearts exploite in that way. I agree with Voods that many people have profitted off 9/11 but this is too blatent.

Sorry Sid i didn't want to make you sound like an old man, but i agree with you. If they are developing that game, lets make a graphic game of Princess Di. Getting extra points for selling the photos on Ebay....

So what about the games based on Vietnam or the Gulf War? I think there is one about the Falklands too. Maybe we should ban Grand Theft Auto incase it upsets anyone who has ever had their car stolen....
As for the Princess Di idea - doesn't bother me in the least. But I agree that something based on 9/11 would be in poor taste - rather like producing a game in which you play an IRA bomber in the 70's.
But let's face it - there is bound to be some young jerk who thinks that making a game on any of these subjects will make him lots of money. Mainly because there are lots of other jerks out there who will buy it (and defend it on the grounds that it's making an ironic statement...)
If people want to produce such things, or buy such things, let them. I won't ( and I can get that warm 'moral superiority' glow I like so much...)

I used WWII as an example because it was mentioned above. THe same applys to most Vietnam games as well, it was longer ago, but more importantly they don't have specific objectives based on facts. Like shooting JFK or flying a 767 into the trade towers.

Though having your car stolen can be traumatic in its own way. Its very different then the traumas suffered during 9/11 (Of course i never really cared for the GTA games themselves. Not because of content but the playability isn't my favorite)

Havoc said:
Both games are in really bad taste. Sid is more old school, prolly remembers where he was when JFK was murdered. He is more emotionally attached then the younger people on this forum.

Yeah I remember where I was when JFK was shot, just getting up to go to work (in the UK) although I didn't know until I heard about it on the news that night.
No emotional attachment with me although I thought he did a fair job of governing the USA, it's just the terribly poor taste of the game that started the discussion with workmates.

Sorry Sid i didn't want to make you sound like an old man,

It's not your fault, I just happen to be getting old. My grannie cautioned me to "never grow old" (silly old sod) but who listens to old folks anyway?

but i agree with you. If they are developing that game, lets make a graphic game of Princess Di. Getting extra points for selling the photos on Ebay....

Now that is the point....the lower the taste the better it sells and bless the almighty buck!

I have mixed feelings on this. When the DC Sniper was out target practicing with human lives, a couple friends and I were able to duplicate everything in it's entirety in Grand Theft Auto III.

We'd drive around in a white mini-van, use the sniper rifle, take one shot at a pedestrian, police officer, whatever. Take that one shot, get in the van and flee.

I haven't played grand theft auto since. It became 'too real' at that point. I play video games to escape reality not to replicate it.

Then there's the fact that at a local gaming center, playing a WWII game, each and every round everyone all chose the allies to play. The axis was all computer controled, since no one wanted to play that side.

What worries me is the younger generations will trivialize the events that shaped our lives over the past war-filled decades. There have been some extremely serious events to have happened involving death and killings. There is plenty that the human imagination can invent to create fun, interesting games.

Am I being overly sensitive? That's your opinion I guess.

jadin said:
I have mixed feelings on this. When the DC Sniper was out target practicing with human lives, a couple friends and I were able to duplicate everything in it's entirety in Grand Theft Auto III.

We'd drive around in a white mini-van, use the sniper rifle, take one shot at a pedestrian, police officer, whatever. Take that one shot, get in the van and flee.
Which sparks another question. Is it the games fault that you were able to do that, or yours? You chose to recreate the DC Sniper, the game didn't tell you to.

It's great how I ask these questions then run off and hide isn't it. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back