Flavio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about buying a longer focal length lens (I have the 23mm, 35mm, 18-50mm) to see if I'll like it or not, but I'm not sure if I will regreat it...
My main "photo targets" are my kids (1 and 4 year old), my family, street photography, landscapes, all of these has a hobbyist photographer.
Should I buy the Viltrox 85mm 1.8?
Or perhaps the Fuji 90mm f2 (I found one used for sale 500€)?

Thanks in advance :)

Personally, I think you already have it in the 35 if it's the f2 version. If you want a little more reach, then get the 50mm or the 56mm. The 50 is considered the poor mans 56.

If you can hold off and your not opposed to zooms, the 16-80 might be ideal as it has the latest, blazing fast AF and a useful focal length. I seen some sample images and they are pretty stunning. Don't be fooled by the f/4, I read the AF is great.

The 90 is only good in good light, and frankly, I'm not impressed with the output. I rented it and I was pretty ho hum about the experience but I am not fond of that focal length anyway. It hunts like a hound dog in low light, much like my 35 1.4. It has no unique look imo.

Thanks for the fast reply jcdeboever!
I have the 1.4 35mm and I know what you mean by hunting in low light
I'm not inclined towards the 50mm because I have the 18-50mm that I enjoy. I was looking for something longer...

If you already have not had the experience with a longer prime, remember that you will be standing further back from the subject.
That said, a full manual prime is a wonderful addition but you'll have to remember to watch the aperture settings. I have brownout multiple shots because of not paying attention to the aperture settings.

The prime lenses will give a better overall quality photo than a tele/zoom because of the nature of the lenses.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the fast reply jcdeboever!
I have the 1.4 35mm and I know what you mean by hunting in low light
I'm not inclined towards the 50mm because I have the 18-50mm that I enjoy. I was looking for something longer...

Well, rent the 80mm macro for a week. It is a stunning lens, very fast AF and you can get in close. I assume you meant the 18-55 which is a very good lens but the AF is not super fast, it's good but not the fastest. I use it for the type of work you are describing but I zone and manual focus most of the time. I will be renting the 16-80 went it becomes available, I noticed better corner sharpness and the bokeh reminds me of the 50-140, very dreamy and smooth. It seems to be tack sharp in the center. I read it has the real fast AF silent, stepper motor inside. 6 stops of OIS. The images I have seen from it, blows the 18-55 out of the water which is pretty amazing considering how much I like that lens.

I wouldn't write the 50/2 off too quickly, especially given your subjects. Its AF speed is impressive even on older bodies like the X-T1. Consider, too, that it provides a 75mm field of view--short portrait range. It's also a bargain. Longer teles just aren't that handy for street or candids. Zooming with your feet isn't that hard.

Thank you all for the very helpful replies!
I was going to buy the Fuji 90mm but then started to see reviews on the 55-200mm and now I'm torn between the two. Found one 55-200mm used for 450€ nearby... do you thing is a good purchase?
Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back