Voigtlander (voigtluender) lens

timslamepaintings

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I was gifted a vintage lens and I’m somewhat confused, particularly by the spelling of the name. Voigtluender Apochromat collinear f9 12 inches. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8E76AF1C-396A-4F86-A891-E1520F71C76B.jpeg
    8E76AF1C-396A-4F86-A891-E1520F71C76B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • B7607F22-0F6C-45B3-80A1-D7189AE1BB57.jpeg
    B7607F22-0F6C-45B3-80A1-D7189AE1BB57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
So, I was gifted a vintage lens and I’m somewhat confused, particularly by the spelling of the name. Voigtluender Apochromat collinear f9 12 inches. Any help would be appreciated.
Looks like an early process lens, designed for 1:1 reproduction - probably covers 4 x 5" format. I hadn't seen that spelling before. I have a much more modern 300 f/9.0 APO process lens by Kern (Swiss), and Nikon & Rodenstock made similar 305mm f/9.0 APO process lenses. I have no idea how rare your lens is, but I'll wager it's not very common! Hopefully a knowledgeable collector will have more information.

Looks like an early process lens, designed for 1:1 reproduction - probably covers 4 x 5" format. I hadn't seen that spelling before. I have a much more modern 300 f/9.0 APO process lens by Kern (Swiss), and Nikon & Rodenstock made similar 305mm f/9.0 APO process lenses. I have no idea how rare your lens is, but I'll wager it's not very common! Hopefully a knowledgeable collector will have more information.
Thanks so much

This is all I can find on that lens....
Ewi81BI.jpg
Hmmm…interesting “the only lens of this kind constructed with special reference to these requirements and conditions” I’m still baffled by the spelling on mine, voigtluender.

All I can think of is the "ue" is a way of spelling out the "a" with 2 dots.

The a with 2 dots...... The Letter Ä With Two Dots Is an Umlaut. If you've ever wondered what those two dots above an “ä” are about, they're generally called umlauts. Particularly common in German, they're used to modify the suggested pronunciation of the letter a.

All I can think of is the "ue" is a way of spelling out the "a" with 2 dots.

The a with 2 dots...... The Letter Ä With Two Dots Is an Umlaut. If you've ever wondered what those two dots above an “ä” are about, they're generally called umlauts. Particularly common in German, they're used to modify the suggested pronunciation of the letter a.
Yeah, I’m just wondering if that makes it more valuable from that standpoint. Is it possible that Americans didn’t know what to do with those 2 dots, so they Americanized to be phonetically correct. I’m not sure if these serial numbers work the same for lenses, but mine is 58172 and if so this would be first ones when they opened up on New York (1902)

I
Unless you're selling the lens, I suggest that you ask for this post to be moved out of "Buy and Sell" to the "Collector's Corner". Thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back