Wal-Mart ever not let you print your own pictures?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Flatland2D, Feb 3, 2008.

1. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER No longer a newbie, moving up!

Its simple, All you have to do is fill out the form they have behind the counter. Problem solved

2. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If that is the case they will have to be charging $1000+ for the sitting fees to feed their family. Look at it that way.

3. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When you employ a photographer, you talk with them about the service they provide, many photographers will offer a package to the customer including prints and edited images etc etc, While I agree they are expensive, they fees go with the market demands, if people didnt pay for the photographers the fees would go down... So therefor photographers are not ripping of customers.

Photographers are offering a complete package, if a person wanted to have all the images unedeted high res on a cd, I expect the photographer would work out a price.

I am not a professional and am not good enough for unprofessional photos, but have recently got married and employed a photographer, most photographers I spoke to seem to be up for negotiation on packages and prices

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Even I am going to disagree with you. The photographer is not providing a service. Anymore than Canon is providing a service when you buy a professional printer.

You are buying a product based on the service. If you disagree with that I challenge you to buy the photos somewhere else and THEN get a photographer to take them for you, much like you buy a tap and get a plumber to install it.

You're buying a product which gets made to suit you, if it were a service it would mean you could buy it elsewhere and get someone to do the labour.

5. nightowlphoto

nightowlphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's how I've dealt with the problem of dishonest customers. I don't let them purchase a CD until they've spent at least $50 on prints. Only then can they purchase a CD with low res prints on it, so at least I make a little of the money I deserve from the work I've done. I've talked to 3 potential clients this week, and had to explain my pricing changes, and they all think it was a great idea for me to implement the change.

The people who think photographers are ripping people off are entitled to their opinion, even when it's so out of whack. Trying to change their mind won't do anyone any good though. I just know they'll never call me. That doesn't bother me. I'll work with the people who do. My target customers are NOT Walmart customers in the first place, so let the Walmart types go to Walmart for their pictures. I don't mind. Everybody is happy that way, right?

6. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup No longer a newbie, moving up!

Here is an odd incident that happened just the other day.

My daughter, who lives about 100 miles away, came to visit with my two small grandchildren.

While they were here, I set my lights up and took some portraits of the kids. I burned them to a CD and gave them to my daughter. She originally told me she just wanted to put them on her computer. I told her that if she ever wanted to have prints made to call me and I would mail her a release form.

Well, she didn't listen to me, as most kids do, regardless of their age, and she took the CD down to Walgreens to have prints made. When she came back to pick them up, of course they told her she could not have them becasue they looked like pro shots. My daughter understood and said okay, I'll get my dad to send a release form. When my daughter asked for the CD back, amazingly the clerk, a young girl who had just started working there a week before, took the CD and snapped it in half, right in front of my daughter.

Well, this caused a scene, of course. And of course, the manager was not in the store at that time. My daughter called me and told me what happened. I called the store the next day and spoke to a manager and he had already heard about the incident. I told him that I appreciated them being vigilant on copyright laws but I said it certainly did not give anyone in that store the right to destroy property. He agreed and said the clerk was new and was mis-informed about their policies. He apologized.

I sent another CD to the store, along with a release form, which has my phone number, my website, and my business card attached, and they printed the photos for free.

Skieur, or anyone else here, have you ever heard of anything like this happening before?

7. astrostu

astrostu Guest

The clerk should've been fired on the spot. Period.

8. R0TT3NBURIT0

R0TT3NBURIT0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i've never printed out my pictures at wal-mart. all you have to do is shove your san disk in there right?

cause the quality of my pictures are not too good with my priner ):

9. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. But the old saying, "The customer is always right" doesn't fit into Walmart's business model any more.

I am trying to boycott Walmart. I told the wife to go to the local private owned grocery store from now on. They have much better meat. She came home and said, "Guess what? I spent about $100 LESS on groceries, and pretty much bought the same thing!" I live 40 miles away from everything, which includes the 4 Super Walmarts around me. When we had our first baby, she stopped at one that we normally don't go to (different city) to pick up some formula. The price was about $0.50 more than the Walmart we always normally went to. She complained and was pretty much told "too bad".

My wife bought me a Sony camera for this past Christmas. She bought it at Walmart the day after Thanksgiving (yeah, she's crazy :D). It turned out to be a piece of garbage and couldn't take an in focus picture at all. I returned it, but forgot the manual was sitting out on the kitchen table. No problem, I would bring it back again another day. They told me I had only the following day because of a 30 day return policy on cameras. It was an early Christmas present and when I asked what if I had not gotten it early for Christmas, I was told "too bad."

I returned that camera the following day after getting the manual back in the box. While I was looking at camera reviews on the internet and emailing her some sites, she ran out to "surprise" me again by trying to get the Canon SD1000. Walmart had it for $199, but it was $179 on walmart.com. She was in the store and wanted it for $179. She was told "too bad". She could have ordered it online for that price and have it shipped to the store. Huh? She had the same freaking camera in her hand right there in the same store they told her she needed to have it shipped too! Too bad. She didn't buy the camera.

Walmart is horrible anymore. I'm glad one of the "towns" we live near (40 miles away) is a small town still and actually still has private owned stores. I will be going there from now on and if I can't get something in the private owned stores, I'll hunt somewhere else other than Walmart.

10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anybody ever been carded at the pub/bar when you're well past the age? It's a policy to cover their a$$es. Not much more than that. Provide the proof and be done with it.

11. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At the pub? Try Walmart! I had some bad luck with speeding (not a speed demon, just like 10 mph over the limit). Problem was, you really can't survive without driving where I am, there's no public transportation. So, I drove to work anyways. But, I was getting married, and was going up to meet my fiance for lunch and to buy tickets to Texas when I drove through an unfamiliar area. Speed limit cut from 45 down to 25, and the cop was sitting right there. No avoiding it. Busted for no license, so ended up loosing it for a year.

The relevance..... For a year, I could not buy cigarettes at Walmart. They carded me every time. I finally get my license back, stopped at Walmart for cigarettes with my license in my hand, and they didn't card me! I said they had BETTER card me this time! LOL.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Lets see. Fine in Australia for admitting a person into a bar under the age of 18 : $75000 (last I checked), fine to the person: $2500.
    Now fine for a photo company reproducing copyright images : none, fine to the person : whatever they want to be sued for.

I'm sorry to say but even in the screwed up legal system that is known as American Law I have never heard of a case such as Walmart having been required to police copyright licensing issues. And unlike the bar example it is also impossible to do so. Your example is totally irrelevant.