walmart canvas

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Didn't know where to put this, so here goes. I've asked about Walmart before for prints. As I send a lot of stuff through Walmart. I think I was flogged for asking about it, or at least explained why I shouldn't use Walmart but now I have a slightly different question. ive ordered the cheap canvas from Walmart before, not a fan of it in general.
The mounted tacky ones if you know what im talking about.

well anyway long story short someone wants a canvas. I was wondering if I dared to use Walmart for canvas but instead this time its going on the supposed "fine" art canvas. so I wanted thoughts on the fine art canvases and frames that come with them before I do this. I realize they aren't really fine art level obviously but are they good enough for a hundred dollar print? This doesn't have to be pro level its going to a individual person.

other question I had, is I often just do not know what to put on what or what to suggest, matte glossy, metallic canvas. I have kind of figured out that some photos work better on some than others. Any suggestions to this effect would be great as I really would rather my photos that do go out (I don't do much for work at all) look the best they can.

And yeah, I know. Walmart is just so convenient please to flog me...

Have you considered Adoramapix.com? Their prices are good, the quality of the print is good (never ordered canvas so I'm not sure how they'd compare to Wal-Mart) and they're quick. Order online and get it delivered.
Wall Decor - Online Digital Photo Printing, Professional Quality Prints ? AdoramaPix
no. But I im starting to wonder if I want to. it wants me to join to price. The price list appears cheaper than Walmart, but im only seeing the stretched over not the framed canvas. I think I have to join just to price it. you do hate me, you do. I knew it.

Not all 'canvas' is actually cotton based heavy cloth canvas.
Most of the cheap stuff is plastic textured to mimic canvas.

I was in WalMart this Monday, and noticed that WalMart has an "economy canvas" or "imitation canvas" which is in fact, FAKE canvas texturing, and did indeed feel like vinyl or plastic when I touched the mounted sample they had there. There are a few places around these days that make very affordable, "real canvas" prints, and there are also places that charge substantial amounts. From what I have seen, some of the lower-prices places actually make canvas prints that are as good as, or better than, places that charge a good deal of money.

I was in WalMart this Monday, and noticed that WalMart has an "economy canvas" or "imitation canvas" which is in fact, FAKE canvas texturing, and did indeed feel like vinyl or plastic when I touched the mounted sample they had there. There are a few places around these days that make very affordable, "real canvas" prints, and there are also places that charge substantial amounts. From what I have seen, some of the lower-prices places actually make canvas prints that are as good as, or better than, places that charge a good deal of money.

the step up from the cheap cheap ones at Walmart. they have them listed on their website as "fine art canvas" (probably b.s. ) but you know anything about that? I have had the cheap canvas from Walmart I know that sucks.

Have you considered Adoramapix.com? Their prices are good, the quality of the print is good (never ordered canvas so I'm not sure how they'd compare to Wal-Mart) and they're quick. Order online and get it delivered.
Wall Decor - Online Digital Photo Printing, Professional Quality Prints ? AdoramaPix
no. But I im starting to wonder if I want to. it wants me to join to price. The price list appears cheaper than Walmart, but im only seeing the stretched over not the framed canvas. I think I have to join just to price it. you do hate me, you do. I knew it.

Maybe you do, sorry! It would kind of put me off, too, but really, if you're thinking of doing more printing - canvas/metal/photo books or just regular paper printing - Adoramapix is a good choice. So you can look at it less as joining just to get a price and more like joining to make it easier in the future to get prints done. See? Silver lining! :D

Maybe you do, sorry! It would kind of put me off, too, but really, if you're thinking of doing more printing - canvas/metal/photo books or just regular paper printing - Adoramapix is a good choice. So you can look at it less as joining just to get a price and more like joining to make it easier in the future to get prints done. See? Silver lining! :D
I use Walmart honestly, because it is easy. wife is planning shopping, I beg her on my hands and knees to go to Walmart because they have photos waiting to be picked up. she agrees to go there and get them. Grabs milk or whatever while she is there. no prob.
And last week I sent a order to a different Walmart (I use different ones depending on who is receiving the photo) and that was great because they reprinted a order I had in from two weeks ago and gave them the wrong photos so they had to go back and get the right ones after I called with a wtf? I haven't had a canvas done in almost a month, but that was such high quality it would have made great firewood. And yeah, they send me a text when my order is in. which really helps. Except that my cellphone went through the wash machine over a month ago if you recall and I haven't replaced it yet. so I don't really know when orders are done now. I might get emails but really, who checks their email anymore.
for all those perks I go Walmart.
The good side, is if something is wrong and im the one picking up the order (almost never happens I find someone else too) then I can look the order over and make sure it is correct and deal with it right then if it isn't._

edit:back on topic . I was just wondering if anyone used walmarts higher end canvas and if that was crap.

Last edited:
I don't work at Walmart but I used to work at laminating company we mount pictures onto woods and canvas. Walmart canvas are not actually printed it's a transfer using your printed image. It's like iron transfer on tshirts.

So if your asking if it's crappy for high end canvas it depends on what size you are going for.

I've never had the fine-art canvas done at Walmart, but based on my experiences with other prints and the cheaper canvases, I can't say that I would be at all confident about their ability to produce anything decent on better canvas.

I used Walmart a good bit in the past, because--like you--it just seemed easier. And cheaper. But then I tried out Miller's and was really impressed. However, I ended up needing two extra copies of a print and didn't have time to get the order in to Miller's, so I just went and had them done at Walmart. Holding those two Walmart prints up to the exact same photo printed from Miller's was ALL I needed to never, ever order from Walmart again. The color rendering was so far off on the Walmart pics it looked terrible in comparison.

Miller's cost a little more, I think--but has three big advantages to me:
1. MUCH better, truer color rendering. My pictures look like I mean for them to look.
2. I don't have to leave my home to order them.
3. Free overnight shipping. Just can't beat that!

I've just decided that if I'm serious about my photography, I have to be serious about how I print and present it, too.

Miller's has a "Pro" side and a "consumer" side, and I don't think they offer the stuff like overnight shipping on the consumer side. However, you don't have to have a business license to join the Pro side, just a business name.

I've also used AdoramaPix some, and like them better than Walmart, but less than Miller's.

I took some pictures of my friend's kids last summer, and she had the photos printed and mounted at Wal Mart. It wasn't on canvas, but on some block-like mount. They turned out pretty nice, and I think they were only $12.00 a piece. They were 8x10's. I would not have thought to have such photos done at Wal Mart, but, there ya' go.

I can't say I would think of Wal Mart as the go-to place for canvas prints. If what others have said regarding them not actually being canvas is true, I think I might look elsewhere...

The other concern with labs like Wal-mart is longevity. I've not had canvas done there either, but from what I see of their regular prints, I wouldn't count on their canvases being sharp and vibrant after five years hanging on a wall somewhere.

well ive considered mpix too. who would people prefer miller or mpix as a secondary if I needed higher quality ?

I don't work at Walmart but I used to work at laminating company we mount pictures onto woods and canvas. Walmart canvas are not actually printed it's a transfer using your printed image. It's like iron transfer on tshirts.

So if your asking if it's crappy for high end canvas it depends on what size you are going for.
from the website "Framed Fine Art Canvas Create a framed canvas with your favorite photo from Walmart Digital Photo Center. Choose from two shapes and four frame colors for the perfect accent to any home. The gallery-quality canvas and printing means your Walmart Digital Photo Center photo canvas will be beautiful for years and years to come."

really the only reason I was even considering this. I have ordered the regular canvas before from Walmart and was not impressed.

Most reactions

Back