Wandering Around Again

xjrrrdx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well since I had a 4 day from Thanksgiving (Thank you Army :mrgreen:) I thought the I would wander around and see the sights of Germany. Nothing too great but took a few photos to help me get better. Just getting exposure/shutter speed/aperature all that good stuff. Could you let me know what needs more improvement?

I was using the Tamron. I am going to be getting the Canon 10-22mm because most of what I take is landscape/cityscape type pictures and the wider angle seems better.

My question is the first one I didnt bump the saturation at all PP but in camera it seems real, "dead" I know it is a little less lively shooting in RAW but I upped the Saturation +2 in camera and its still a little bland. Is it just the nature of shooting with RAW or can I go higher in camera. I just love the super vivid photos I see on here, and I know most is PP but some in camera as well.

1)I think I need to saturate the colors a little better.
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b59586400000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

2)Slower shutter speed at a very old man made drain off.
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b43587e00000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

3)Old Church in Sonnenberg
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b45587800000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

4)Burg Sonnenberg
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b44d94900000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

5)Little Creek (Lens Flare I know)
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b47587a00000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

6)Little Creek B&W
47b8cf08b3127cce98548b46d94b00000046100AaOGbFi5csmQg

You had four days off -thanks to the Army because of Thanksgiving- but you are in Brandenburg in Germany????
What does the Army (an army that gives you four days off for Thanksgiving!) do in Sonnenberg? That's practically the middle of nowhere (if not the place were I live were the REAL middle of nowhere!)!!!

Well, yes, if these were mine, I'd try to add a bit of saturation to the first two and the fifth, but all in all I find them nicely composed.

I am stationed in Wiesbaden, and the wife and I took a walk to to wander around since it wasn't too cold. Its an odd system we have here, I live in Wiesbaden, actually work in Darmstadt...and sometimes have to work in Mainz-Fenthen.

Our car is still getting shipped out so we rely on walking and the Hauptbanhof here. A few weekends from now we are heading to Berlin, Stuttgart, and my wife has already been wine shopping in Rudesheim.

Okay - well when you shoot RAW, any in-camera settings you make are completely ignored - apart from focus and exposure... So boosting the saturation/sharpness etc doesn't do anything to the image - these changes have to be made in you RAW processor (software supplied with your camera)
So - basically, what you get with a RAW image is an unprocessed image which you can then adjust for ISO, TONE, WB etc etc in your RAW software which you can then save as a TIFF/JPEG and do further enhancing in photoshop or whatever....
Better read your manual about RAW...
Other than that - these are nice images - you have an eye for a picture...
Just try to remember that what strikes you as a good/nice image isn't always what pops other people's corks... Streams and churches are good subjects but not for everyone... You have to seek out that "something different" - interesting light angles/something that makes that shot "different"...
Look for ways to "improve" your images - eg Old church in Sonnenberg at 10 past 3 in the afternoon... Are those tree branches (upper left) distracting?? - you bet...
Eg Burg Sonnenberg - Oh - does that sunshade add to the ancient glory of this old building..? No - of course not... So, unless you are highlighting the juxtaposition of ancient glory and tacky modern - you want to exclude the sunshade...
Streams/Waterways... Hmm - don't underestimate the 'power' of leading lines in photographic images... My eye is led OUT of these photographs - follows the water to the point of diminishing extinction in the far distance and I don't appreciate the beauty of the scene...
First and foremost though - read up on RAW processing...
Jedo

Jedo Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your comments. I wasnt sure that the settings for saturation would not be kept while shooting in raw. Thank you :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back