'Wanna be a Stock Photographer.

TomX88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys! I am new on this forum, and i would love to do stock photography, total beginner in this field, so i want to ask if people who are skilled in this area , to give me some advices about head start. Thank you all in front.

My advice would be, "Don't bother". Stock is probably the most over-saturated aspect of photography going. Once upon a time a good photographer could make some nice coin shooting stock, but with all the people doing it, and all the stock houses practically giving away images, it's (IMO) pretty much pointless now UNLESS you are the [literally] one-in-a-million guy.

My advice would be, "Don't bother". Stock is probably the most over-saturated aspect of photography going. Once upon a time a good photographer could make some nice coin shooting stock, but with all the people doing it, and all the stock houses practically giving away images, it's (IMO) pretty much pointless now UNLESS you are the [literally] one-in-a-million guy.
Well that is disapointing to hear, i mean i didnt expect the moneyshower but still... Well i am working as photographer anyway, so i wanted to do stock as bonus to fill pocket on dry periods.

Well that is disapointing to hear, i mean i didnt expect the moneyshower but still... Well i am working as photographer anyway, so i wanted to do stock as bonus to fill pocket on dry periods.
If you're shooting stuff that can be used as stock, no harm in sending it in, but I can't see taking the time to shoot specifically for it.

Ha Ha!

I have come to dash your hopes and dreams and leave you in the pit of despair in the dark abyss of reality from whence...

Oh, crap.. TiredIron already beat me too it.

Oh well. So ya, going to see if there is anything good on Netflix I guess....

Ha Ha!

I have come to dash your hopes and dreams and leave you in the pit of despair in the dark abyss of reality from whence...

Oh, crap.. TiredIron already beat me too it.

Oh well. So ya, going to see if there is anything good on Netflix I guess....
^^ Waiting for Luke Cage , and Daredevil, untill than , nothing interesting for me :)

^^ Waiting for Luke Cage , and Daredevil, untill than , nothing interesting for me :)

Already caught up on all the Daredevil stuff they have, waiting for new season to come out. I have to admit I was pretty impressed, they did an excellent job overall. I was really impressed by the job they did portraying Fisk. I really wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near that good.

Tirediron pretty much nailed this. You can make a few bucks here and there with stock stuff but you aren't going to catch up with Warren Buffets net worth anytime in the next 100 lifetimes.

If you have some images that are stock, it won't hurt putting them out there, you never know. A few bucks here and there for an image is better than it sitting on your hard drive for no one to see or use.

It's all in the expectations. Don't expect much, don't be disappointed.

Just curious what do people consider "not much" Sorry I have no idea how this works just curious.

Royalty-Free (RF) stock photography licensing for non-commercial usage pays the photographer pennies per licensed photo, literally.
A typical non-commercial RF license is good for the rest of time, has no restrictions on what media an image is used in, and allows tens of thousands of copies or impressions.

A much tougher to get into stock photography licensing instrument is Rights-Managed (RM) licensing.
RM licensing is usually for a limited time and includes geographical, media type, and number of uses restrictions.

The stock houses are usually in need of photographs that have people in them doing something.
Consequently, the stock houses require the photographer have a valid model release on file for each person in a photograph.
In much more limited circumstances the photographer may also need to have a property release.

http://arcurs.com/ - See Popular Posts.

Rather than stock photos, has anyone tried marketing packaged screen savers? I see ads from time to time to download everything from bikini clad babes, to cars, to flowers, to landscapes, curious if they generate enough income to fool with.

So overall, apart from what you guys mentioned till now, i get it its hard and maybe pointless, but in general what is best to start with , i want to try it no matter all you said :)

You will need a camera, a lens, an eye for interesting subjects and the ability to make those subjects interesting to the viewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back