Wanting a Bird Bath (Beauty Dish) - White or Silver?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think it's time to get a Bird Bath (Beauty Dish). This accessory has been on my Wish List for quite some time. The latest issue of Rangefinder was themed as The Lighting Issue and got the juices flowing again. Any opinion from users of what you like from what you have (silver of white) and what you seem are producing less than expected results.... making you think the other choice might have better suited your purpose. If you have both.... P-L-E-A-S-E chime in. My initial purpose is for portraiture, but know enough that a it can be utilized in a multitude of other uses.

I have PCB lighting, so that's likely the Dish I will go with. Here are the descriptions from the PCB website for the silver and white.

Silver
The 22-inch High Output Silver Beauty Dish creates a bright, highly-efficient light source with a narrow 45° beam spread. When used close to the subject, the narrow beam spread allows a more selective area of coverage. With about six times the efficiency of a white dish, the silver dish can be used to light subjects from greater distances as well, even with low power flash units.

The reflector arrives with an optional direct-light blocker. Direct light from the flashtube is blocked, allowing only bounced light from the reflector to fall on the subject. This reduces the degree of reflections from shiny “specular” objects.

Because of its geometry, the Silver Beauty Dish provides a somewhat higher degree of shadow softening and the finish allows more specularity than the White Dish. Even more specular response can be achieved by using the Beauty Dish without the included direct-light blocker. The result is a small center light source (the flashtube) surrounded by a 22-inch circle of reflected light that enhances reflections from shiny objects such as sequins, jewelry, etc., and achieves maximum pop.

The reflector additionally arrives with a translucent white diffusion sock that converts the Silver Beauty Dish into the equivalent of a round softbox with very even coverage and outstanding evenness across the face of the diffusion fabric. This widens the angle of coverage to about 150° and lowers the output by about 2-1/2 to 3 f-stops. It also minimizes the specularity and results in approximately the same photographic result as a conventional white beauty dish with diffusion sock.

As with any light modifier, there is no right or wrong use. It’s up to the photographer to use the light and modifier as best suits his/her intended purpose. Generally, one should consider using the Beauty Dish without the direct-light blocker when lighting from a distance. Because of its very high output in this mode, the Beauty Dish is an ideal tool for shooting weddings or other events, and for high key studio lighting with the light placed around 7 to 20 feet from the subject. For closer, more intimate lighting, using the diffusion sock will allow wider coverage and lower specularity. Using the Beauty Dish without the sock will result in more selective lighting and higher output, though this use may be challenging when higher power flash units are used due to the very high output of the Beauty Dish.

White
The 22-inch High Output White Beauty Dish creates a bright, highly-efficient light source, similar to that of the silver dish, but with a softer finish. The white dish produces smooth skin tones and even coverage that could normally only be achieved on the silver dish by adding the diffusion sock. With a beam spread of 130° without the use of the included diffusion sock, the white beauty dish is great for indoor portraits to create warmer skin tones, or for diffusing hot spots that might occur on shimmery fabrics or reflective surfaces.

The reflector arrives with an optional direct-light blocker. Direct light from the flashtube is blocked, allowing only bounced light from the reflector to fall on the subject. This reduces the degree of reflections from shiny “specular” objects.

For even softer results, the White Beauty Dish additionally arrives with a translucent white diffusion sock that converts the reflector into the equivalent of a round softbox with very even coverage and outstanding evenness across the face of the diffusion fabric. This widens the angle of coverage to about 150° and lowers the output by about 1 to 1-1/2 f-stops.

<snip, same as silver>

I have a sneeky feeling that the silver will give me more options. At times, I really like harsh lighting and the silver would offer more specularity, but add on the sock and it can be toned down to offer soft light.

Also, $30 for a carry bag? It's a sturdy aluminum (?) product, much like the LiteMod mainframe, right? I see that as an uneccessory expense.

Thanks for your insight.

**If you do not have first hand experience using one, please read, follow along or ask questions. But your opinion on its useage would be less than useful.

I was thinking it's easier to line a white one w/ tin foil than it is to line a silver one with white... what? What white thing would follow the shape/contours and stay put and is as readily available as tin foil? Because w/ a beauty dish, the shape does matter.

And most tin foil has a shiny and a matte side to choose from.

Silver. If you want soft, gentle light you're probably not going to use a BD, and from the work you typically post, I would say a silver would be most suitable. I wouldn't pay $30 for a bag, but I would protect it; you DON'T want scratches or dents in it.

I like white personally.

Check out Kacey Enterprises. They make an excellent dish at an excellent price and pretty much any modifier can be adapted for any light. Kacey actually will but an AB speed ring on the dish for you.

Silver. If you want soft, gentle light you're probably not going to use a BD, and from the work you typically post, I would say a silver would be most suitable. I wouldn't pay $30 for a bag, but I would protect it; you DON'T want scratches or dents in it.
Thanks, I think. I do like a lighting ratio that's a bit more on the dramatic side as long as there is a fairly smooth transition, sometimes, .

I like white personally.
Por Qué ?? Have you tried a silver for comparison? Why is the white preferable?

Check out Kacey Enterprises. They make an excellent dish at an excellent price and pretty much any modifier can be adapted for any light. Kacey actually will but an AB speed ring on the dish for you.
Cheers, will check them out.

Thanks, I think. I do like a lighting ratio that's a bit more on the dramatic side as long as there is a fairly smooth transition, sometimes, ....
Sorry, did NOT mean that the way it sounds... I just meant that IMO, silver would suit your style more than white.

I have a silver one, with a white nylon diffuser sock...I have not used it much. It's so efficient that with the 300 watt-second monolight that I bought it for, the power needs to be dialed down very low for a headshot. My niece has it now...she's a hair stylist/makeup artist, and I'm letting her use it for her headshots. I dunno...I kind of wish I had bought a plain white one. Still, with the white fabric cover on, it looks pretty good.

You can always get a grid for a white one if you need to tone down the beam spread as well.

I like the softer light it creates. I had a silver one I made, but it's not the same size or shape as my Kacey, so the results aren't the best to compare, but here's a few from the Kacey.

7060369715_30edec2046_z.jpg

3669042409_15708d743d_z.jpg

5283998513_a7da515d67_z.jpg

5219707597_110b1dbdac_z.jpg

4255653890_e71c2cb247_z.jpg

All of those were done with a bare Kacey.

And here's a 51 page thread on POTN of one light beatury dish shots:
Let's See Your One Light Beauty Dish Portraits - Indoor & Outdoor - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Most reactions

New Topics

Back