What's new

Wanting to invest in a camera...but should I?

valene

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
So I don't own a digital camera and have been looking into purchasing one. I really want a Leica Digilux 2 (I know it's old but everything I've read about it seems to lead to it being a classic and great for b&w). My dilemma is investing in a camera at all, mainly because if I DO take the plunge I want this to become a serious hobby. Aside from the technical aspects of photography, though, I know you need an inherent eye to really have good work. I've attached some photos I've taken with friends' cameras over the years and was wondering if you all could give me an honest opinion on if there is any promise here in terms of my ability (I know they aren't astonishing or anything, but is there potential?).

Thanks for your help! I just don't know what to make of any of the photos I've taken.
 

Attachments

  • $205723_1884094109367_213822_n.webp
    $205723_1884094109367_213822_n.webp
    128 KB · Views: 169
  • $208211_1884095589404_3950065_n.webp
    $208211_1884095589404_3950065_n.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 179
  • $216466_1884092749333_579721_n.webp
    $216466_1884092749333_579721_n.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 150
  • $217346_1884097629455_8123637_n.webp
    $217346_1884097629455_8123637_n.webp
    124.9 KB · Views: 154
  • $76110_1657626527819_1876113_n.webp
    $76110_1657626527819_1876113_n.webp
    54 KB · Views: 153
Nobody can tell you whether you should pursue photography as a hobby. However, if you want to be serious, I recommend a DSLR as it will have the tools necessary to control and manipulate light for creative imagery. Also, seriousness demands some investment in education and practice. To enjoy a hobby, you usually need some success in it, and that doesn't really come if you don't know what you're doing. As with any hobby, some people are comfortable never getting past the fun of equipment. They buy D4s and big lenses and never achieve anything more than snapshots. It's up to you how serious you want to take it, and it's up to you to make creative images, not the equipment.
 
Nobody can tell you whether you should pursue photography as a hobby. However, if you want to be serious, I recommend a DSLR as it will have the tools necessary to control and manipulate light for creative imagery. Also, seriousness demands some investment in education and practice. To enjoy a hobby, you usually need some success in it, and that doesn't really come if you don't know what you're doing. As with any hobby, some people are comfortable never getting past the fun of equipment. They buy D4s and big lenses and never achieve anything more than what you're showing here. It's up to you how serious you want to take it, and it's up to you to make creative images, not the equipment.
I agree with this. We can't tell you if you will be good at this or not based on what you have posted here. We have all started somewhere, and we all get satisfaction from photography based off of many factors. Some of us could care less if we are any good or not. It is enjoyable regardless. You will never know until you try.
 
I have, quite literally, no natural talent for any aspect of photography beyond the technical side of the craft. In fact, I hate the vast majority of my photographs; even ones that clients have been thrilled with and I've put a ton of work into, and yet, I love photography... it's something I'm drawn to and in some ways, it's how I see the world... often times, it's how I relate to the world. If you enjoy taking photographs, and are genuinely curious about how to take great photographs, then it's a craft worth pursuing. Whether or not you end up actually being able to take masterful photographs is, I think pretty much irrelevant, and if you look around, you'll find that most photographers who do dedicate themselves to the craft are in it for the journey.
 
If I post my older stuff, you'll wonder if it was really me or a toddler with a potato. We all start somewhere. If photography is a passion for you, you'll put the money into it. A lot of money. A LOT of money.
 
No.


Wait.. Yes.


Hmm.. now it's showing "Ask again later".


Sorry, apparently magic 8 ball is not going to be much help in this regard. So you want to know if your going to be any good at photography before you take up the hobby. Hmm.. ok, well can I point out that if people approached all hobbies that same way golf would not exist?

Just a thought.
 
You seem to be seeing interesting patterns and designs at least in the photos you posted. If you're seeing scenes and subjects that you think could make for interesting photos and if you find you keep thinking about it and coming back to it, then maybe it could be something worth pursuing - only you can make the decision.

You could do some reading on photography, look at works by famous photographers, maybe take a class at a community/art center, etc. Starting out you could consider used and upgrade later if it becomes a hobby you continue with.
 
I really want a Leica Digilux 2 (I know it's old but everything I've read about it seems to lead to it being a classic and great for b&w). My dilemma is investing in a camera at all, mainly because if I DO take the plunge I want this to become a serious hobby.

If you want to have photography as a serious hobby, you have to look at first at a DSLR, not a compact camera. Digilux 2 (which by the way is identical to Panasonic LC1, much less expensive) is just a compact camera, very good ten years ago, but even at that time not at level of any dSLR. And by the way, b&w is something you achieve mostly by software now, not in camera. So there is no reason to have now an old and expensive compact camera, unless you are a collector with restricted budget (because the real Leicas are other, and much more expensive... ;) ). With the same amount of money you could buy a new entry level dSLR with kit lens, with better learning possibilities and better image quality.

Whether to begin or not: it's a nice hobby, let's go :) .
 
time and perseverance and a decent camera not a point and shoot will determine whether it is a hobby or a serious pursuit, we cannot judge your early work and say that wow!!!! there is a master at work in there!!.... Only you can determine that ..... not others
so buy or don't buy a decent DSLR and pursue the addiction that is commonly called photography, no doubt you will shoot some crap, but every so often that little gem, that diamond of a shot will pop up and the more you shot the greater the chances of it occurring again
 
You should go for it. I don't know anyone personally who said that they regret buying a digital camera and getting into photography, but I know a few people who didn't think they'd like it and got hooked after messing around with mine. It really is a great hobby and one that almost everyone appreciates, everyone loves pictures.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom