Waterfalls

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first long exposure waterfall shots and a couple others. :D I really enjoyed taking these.
C&C welcome.
Thanks, -BIG

27757_395664891670_618336670_4615670_2681300_n.jpg

27757_395664901670_618336670_4615671_463605_n.jpg

27757_395664911670_618336670_4615672_853966_n.jpg

27757_395664916670_618336670_4615673_6706288_n.jpg

27757_395664951670_618336670_4615674_4074308_n.jpg

Big
I like the photos, the framing is distracting.

i agree with pbelarge. The photos are nice, but im not so sure about the framing.

I tend to be leaning towards b&w conversions a lot lately. This is supposed to be a mysterious place so I felt it added drama to the shots.

Hi,

For me the b&W's are a little dull and lack good contrast, being more shades of grey than anything.

Rather than convert to b&w I always suggest someone shoots as b&w, this will make you analysis your subject differently and shoot accordingly. If you are looking for drama and mood I would suggest looking at Art Noir photography for inspiration.

Steve

I'm not sure if that's a smart reply or not but I'll explain what I meant.

When you shoot in colour you get a range of tones; primarily these reflect the colour in the image rather than the light, such as is evident in your last colour image.

Taking one of these images and just desaturating it in PS or some such package does not mean you will end up with a good b&w image; more often than not all the varying tones that were present in the colour image disappear and you're left with grey; in the first image you've posted all the trees above the bridge are the same tone, the water is a little white, there is a big black rock in front and everything else is grey, there is no varying contrast, no crisp shadows, it's just a desaturated image.

Steve

Last edited:
Are you talking about the black and white frame?

Big
I was viewing the images and liked them, but something was catching my eye. Then I realized it was the framing, including the whitish inside the black that was distracting. Maybe try a different border for your b&w renderings.

I'm not sure if that's a smart reply or not but I'll explain what I meant.

When you shoot in colour you get a range of tones; primarily these reflect the colour in the image rather than the light, such as is evident in your last colour image.

Taking one of these images and just desaturating it in PS or some such package does not mean you will end up with a good b&w image; more often than not all the varying tones that were present in the colour image disappear and you're left with grey; in the first image you've posted all the trees above the bridge are the same tone, the water is a little white, there is a big black rock in front and everything else is grey, there is no varying contrast, no crisp shadows, it's just a desaturated image.

Steve
I understand, I always shoot in color and then convert to black and white in photoshop but I never just leave it, I always either move the sliders or use the presets to achieve what I like. My answer was kinda "smart" because I usually think I have too much contrast in my b&w's. Hopefully it's not because of a monitor issue.

Are you talking about the black and white frame?

Big
I was viewing the images and liked them, but something was catching my eye. Then I realized it was the framing, including the whitish inside the black that was distracting. Maybe try a different border for your b&w renderings.
Hmm, I'll give it a shot. I guess it's just personal preference that's all. I like to put something as a border just to create an edge from the background so it stands out.

Hmm, I'll give it a shot. I guess it's just personal preference that's all. I like to put something as a border just to create an edge from the background so it stands out.

Thats a fact, don't take what I post as gospel...I am much too opinionated for that to be true ;):mrgreen:

By the way, I like the new border :mrgreen:

I really like the series. This looks like a great setting. I really like the motion in the water thanks to your exposure time, well done. The only thing I noticed was all the shots with the bridge look like they are going uphill just a bit. you can correct this in PS>

Most reactions

Back