weather issues

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if it is bad for a lens or camera to come in and out of cold weather because of all the moisture, and suggestions on how to help this problem (other than not doing it) Thanks.

not sure if it's bad for your lenses, but I don't think it would be good for your body. What I read in photolife magazine is to put the lens & body in a plastic bag, and tie it up (do this outside) and then when you bring it in, and let it sit for a while, the bag will gather condensation rather than the camera and lens. Or something like that lol, I read the article over a year ago, and I don't have that issue anymore.

It's certainly not good for your lens or your camera. Smyth is correct, if you put the camera into a sealed bag, while it's still outside, then the condensation will form on the bag rather than on (and in) the camera.

It may be enough if you just keep it zipped up in a camera bag...but be sure to let it warm up for a good long time before you open the bag.

Also, I always keep a bunch of little bags of silica gel in my camera bags. They absorb extra moisture.

Another time you have to worry about condensation, is if you are in a topical climate and you go from a cool, air-conditioned hotel room...out into the hot humid air.

Most reactions

Back