Wedding 9-11-10

How do we post a new topic on here. I dunno if someone can refer too. Im after help about shooting star trails withthe nilon d5000. Justwanted to know if there are specific lenses/equipment we need or if the standard kit lens are ok for it? If you guys can tell me where to go, that would be fab. thanks

As with pretty much every other online forum... :D
On the upper left, click on FORUM
In there, browse down and find a forum you think your question should go in. Or just do like 99% of other people and dump everything in the Beginner section.
From there, up top, there is a CREATE NEW TOPIC button.
Click it, off you go.

Thanks Bigtwinky

Before even critiquing I do have to say one thing...you definitely *cannot* be offended easily if you expect to make it in the photography world. Most people are kind and helpful, but those are usually the people that don't offer the best help. If you truly want to succeed on some professional level you're going to need to learn to take critique (no matter how harsh it seems) or you're going to implode...because the people that hate are *definitely* the people with the loudest mouths.

On to the critique:

1) As others have said, it's a very 1980's cliche shot. It's not a bad picture by any means, and it's exposed correctly...but it doesn't convey much emotion because most of the people that see it will immediately be reminded of the 80s and how many pictures were done like this. Also, the church seems to be at an angle.

2) This is the one most people are jumping on and although on one hand...for somewhat good reason...on the other hand, it's *very* easy to fix. I saw your later edits and they're much better (definitely no selective-coloring because you want the focus put onto the rings most of all), but some of it you can't really do in PP. The biggest thing, as was said, is that the focus was not put on the rings. This, I'm sorry to say, is somewhat essential for pics of the hands like this. Even glimmer could be added in PP.

3) Not a bad picture, but looks like you surprised them. The exposure is *almost* correct, but a tad dark. The lighting (other than exposure) is pretty spot on. Definitely try to stay away from the "at an angle" approach. Too many people do it and too many people do it incorrectly. There aren't really any rules for it (other than avoid it), but it *can* be done correctly...it's just all about the scene and whether it works for *that* scene, specifically. This one it didn't. Other than that, make sure to nail the focus on the eyes of the subjects (in this case with a high-enough f-stop to capture both sets of eyes in focus or even take 2 pictures [one focused on each person] and try to blend them in PP) and make sure to take control of the way they sit/model. As the photographer you need to direct them to get the perfect shot, because everyone knows they won't do it on their own.

Before even critiquing I do have to say one thing...you definitely *cannot* be offended easily if you expect to make it in the photography world. Most people are kind and helpful, but those are usually the people that don't offer the best help. If you truly want to succeed on some professional level you're going to need to learn to take critique (no matter how harsh it seems) or you're going to implode...because the people that hate are *definitely* the people with the loudest mouths.

On to the critique:

1) As others have said, it's a very 1980's cliche shot. It's not a bad picture by any means, and it's exposed correctly...but it doesn't convey much emotion because most of the people that see it will immediately be reminded of the 80s and how many pictures were done like this. Also, the church seems to be at an angle.

2) This is the one most people are jumping on and although on one hand...for somewhat good reason...on the other hand, it's *very* easy to fix. I saw your later edits and they're much better (definitely no selective-coloring because you want the focus put onto the rings most of all), but some of it you can't really do in PP. The biggest thing, as was said, is that the focus was not put on the rings. This, I'm sorry to say, is somewhat essential for pics of the hands like this. Even glimmer could be added in PP.

3) Not a bad picture, but looks like you surprised them. The exposure is *almost* correct, but a tad dark. The lighting (other than exposure) is pretty spot on. Definitely try to stay away from the "at an angle" approach. Too many people do it and too many people do it incorrectly. There aren't really any rules for it (other than avoid it), but it *can* be done correctly...it's just all about the scene and whether it works for *that* scene, specifically. This one it didn't. Other than that, make sure to nail the focus on the eyes of the subjects (in this case with a high-enough f-stop to capture both sets of eyes in focus or even take 2 pictures [one focused on each person] and try to blend them in PP) and make sure to take control of the way they sit/model. As the photographer you need to direct them to get the perfect shot, because everyone knows they won't do it on their own.

Thank you very much this was very helpful!

I just want to say I am sorry for removing the pictures and sorry if I offended anyone I did not mean to come off like I had a bad attitude. I really don't I am a good person.

You have nothing to apologise for. They're your photo's, you can do whatever you want with them.

they look like point and shoots

The following message is directed at the OP.

*Clears throat*

:FACEPALM!:

:waiting:......

I think we just met the next two members to be banned. Shall we place bets?

Now onto the thread...

OP, you definately need to have a thick skin. I don't think anyone was being rude to you. People don't have to use filters, they can be very blunt. Everyone here was trying to help ( well up until that point, been some problems since then though )

I pretty much agree with everything said.

#1 seems grainy or OOF or something. Could be do to resizing? The angle the building was shot at isn't the best. Could use some leveling. It is old time Cheesy to me, but so what. Nice way to combine different settings.

#2 Frankly, I would have left the whole thing color, and simply got the rings in focus, maybe got some better lighting on the rings. The selective coloring takes away from this shot due to the flower becoming the focus. The reversed edit just looks bad. There is no need for the selective coloring. If you want to use it, use it on a different shot where it will be more effective.

#3 the leaning isn't good. The dress is blown out. Looks like you used flash which was too harsh and blew out the dress. Also, the pose could have been improved to incorporate the grooms ring as well. Its kinda an afterthough in the lower part. Her could have had a hand on her shoulder or something with the ring shown.

just my opinion, take it for what its worth. The main thing is to keep trying and try to let your defense mechanism go when you get critiqued. Also, I know its hard, but just let the idiots talk and don't even respond to them when they take cheap shots that have nothing to do with a critique. IF worse comes to worse, you can put them on your ignore list, or report the post. Although, be careful who you do that for, like we saw, earlier in your thread, there were helpful people that you were arguing with. This would be the wrong time to report a post. Don't wanna be the guy/girl that cried wolf.

Most reactions

Back