Wedding Expo! Booth?

For what it’s worth, we found our wedding photographer at an expo.

(He was pretty crappy in the end...but that’s on us, not him. Our whole wedding cost less than some of the photographers rates there, haha).

And what made you decide to go with that photographer? What drew you to their booth?

Initially? His booth wasn’t overly pretentious, and he was approachable. He was also one of a select few in a price range we could afford. I think we paid around $1000 for digital rights only back in 2010.

Most of the other photographers at the expo were $2k+.

My only fear about a booth like that is that it would appear very salesman like. My idea is to stand at the front of my booth with an easel holding one of my photos and to engage people as they walk by. And then if the conversations goes well, invite them to sit down and look through some photo albums, etc.

But isn't that the reason you're going through the expense and trouble to sell your services???

We had three types of potential customers, the lookyloo's checking out the freebies and aren't buying but occasionally they'd pass our information to someone who would, so you couldn't totally ignore them.

Then there were the customers who we had already been in contact with and were generally there to sign an order. We dealt with customers all over the world, the shows were a way to meet face to face. Those we either left to go somewhere private, away from the booth, or made an appointment to meet them at another location because the last thing you want is interruptions during a closing.

The last one was the potential customer who stopped in, we pre-qualified them, then moved to a more private sales area within the booth to discuss their needs, and how we could help them, but we had a lot more floor space to work with, and we had multiple people on the floor at all times.

While the easel could possibly work, you just don't have the room to work with in the booth proper. The other thing you didn't answer yet, is are you working it alone???? If you are talking to someone in the booth, who's working the crowd moving by??? Without any room to wait in the booth (out of traffic flow), and no one else to answer questions, those potential customers in the aisle are likely going to move on.

I admire your initiative, and hope you do well.

I agree that if you expect to spend the time with potential clients to close a deal then you need another person at the booth so you just are not ignoring all the rest of the people. Generally there are events that people go to and then they all go out to go past the stands so there can be slow times and then a major rush of people.

I never use chairs in my booth and prefer just a high table, lead people in and back out of the booth. I prefer to actively engage the people and invite them in to the booth if they show an interest in the first ten seconds or so.

So my general layout is more like your second one, but without the coffee table and chairs. The high tables get covered in fabric so it is a softer look. Instead of a laptop - a mounted TV. The album is on a back table, another back table with raffle or give-away that also has a built in cabinet to store extra items, and business cards/flyers on the front table (sometimes even the flyers go to the back). Lighting is key so I would not just have a string of lights. On stands where customers come in it is helpful to have better padded carpeting than the rest of the area.

As per my opinion, I liked 2nd more as it seems elegant. Additionally, I don't feel to add more chairs or benches because it will be very much congested.

I agree that if you expect to spend the time with potential clients to close a deal then you need another person at the booth so you just are not ignoring all the rest of the people. Generally there are events that people go to and then they all go out to go past the stands so there can be slow times and then a major rush of people.

I never use chairs in my booth and prefer just a high table, lead people in and back out of the booth. I prefer to actively engage the people and invite them in to the booth if they show an interest in the first ten seconds or so.

So my general layout is more like your second one, but without the coffee table and chairs. The high tables get covered in fabric so it is a softer look. Instead of a laptop - a mounted TV. The album is on a back table, another back table with raffle or give-away that also has a built in cabinet to store extra items, and business cards/flyers on the front table (sometimes even the flyers go to the back). Lighting is key so I would not just have a string of lights. On stands where customers come in it is helpful to have better padded carpeting than the rest of the area.

Do you happen to have a photo of your booth that you could share?

After taking your points into consideration, I've created a new version. Feedback appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 4.48.56 AM.jpg

And no... not every photo is going to be the same. They're just place holders.

Hello friends!

I was able to put together a test run of my booth before the big show on Sunday - check it out! (there will be a black backdrop provided by the venue behind)

IMG_1875.jpg

And here's a quick video walk through if you'd like to see it closer up.

Given the space you had to work with, I think you've done quite well. Now get out there and book that business!

Given the space you had to work with, I think you've done quite well. Now get out there and book that business!

That's the goal! xD

Hello friends!

I was able to put together a test run of my booth before the big show on Sunday - check it out! (there will be a black backdrop provided by the venue behind)

View attachment 151804

And here's a quick video walk through if you'd like to see it closer up.

Good job dude. Best of luck and I hope you get a lot of bookings!! :)

I think it went well!

26230271_1470522929713674_1216164374921789196_n.jpg

Met a lot of people, and there were some that seemed really interested. I collected contact info when I could, and sent out about 40 emails right after the show and have had two people respond so far asking for more info. And hopefully more to come (if not now, then at least later down the line).

I get ads from you from time to time on FB -- one thing I noticed in your last to sign up for your "comic"con shoots is that the survey monkey link you're to sign up is dumping generic text about survey monkey under the image -- so it reads like a survey monkey ad and less like a sign-up for a photoshoot ad.

Sounds like it was worth the investment, and now you’ll be ready to do more.

I’m the worst person to give this advice because I don’t follow it myself... but, I’m only a teacher and no one gives a crap what I look like at work, haha. It might be worth getting your suit tailored so it fits better. Everything you put out in your booth is classy and trendy, and you clash a little bit with the boxy suit jacket. It looks a little car salesman-ish. I think a trendier suit might be appopriate for this type of work (especially when you are selling yourself).

@Vtec44 has mentioned this a few times...I can’t remember specific threads, but I’m sure if you look at his messages you’ll find some photos.

I can also bugger off, haha.

Sounds like it was worth the investment, and now you’ll be ready to do more.

I’m the worst person to give this advice because I don’t follow it myself... but, I’m only a teacher and no one gives a crap what I look like at work, haha. It might be worth getting your suit tailored so it fits better. Everything you put out in your booth is classy and trendy, and you clash a little bit with the boxy suit jacket. It looks a little car salesman-ish. I think a trendier suit might be appopriate for this type of work (especially when you are selling yourself).

@Vtec44 has mentioned this a few times...I can’t remember specific threads, but I’m sure if you look at his messages you’ll find some photos.

I can also bugger off, haha.

I think you overestimate my figure lol. This suit is fitted.

I do need to lose some weight though haha, and a thinner material suit would be nice.

Most reactions

Back