Wedding in the Future, need advice now....

As MLeek said...Oh good Lord, not another one! Too many "professional" pho-tog-waphers diluting the already saturated market with their Best Buy gear they got for Christmas from their husband/Mom/Boyfriend etc ad nauseum...and thus driving down industry standards, prices, and concurrently inflating customer expectations of pricing VS product received....

...wait, I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Adam
AtomFoto
http://www.atomfoto.com

Last edited:
...and thus driving down industry standards, prices, and concurrently inflating customer expectations of pricing VS product received....
Better known as "capitolism" and "free-market economy". There is another system, but I understand it's not as popular.

BTW... welcome to the forum!

...and thus driving down industry standards, prices, and concurrently inflating customer expectations of pricing VS product received....
Better known as "capitolism" and "free-market economy". There is another system, but I understand it's not as popular.

BTW... welcome to the forum!

Thanks. Not a big fan of that other system either...

Oh ya mean "supply & demand"....duh. But cmon, admit it...there were never this many "pwo-fession-al" photographers in the film era. Advancing technology (both hardware and web) has made it easier than ever for any old schmo to try their hand at, what they soon realize is...kind of a hard job. But yes...the cream does rise.

Adam
AtomFoto
http://atomfoto.com

add that in with the internet yoru not just seeing photographers from your neighborhood. your in contact with photographers all over the country. 10-15 years ago you'd hang out with one or two people and maybe a photography group or somesort. now you are on the interent, on photography forums blah, blah , blah, add that in with a bad econemy where people are out of work and looking for ways to support thereselves and there family. there are tons of reasons why there are so many photographers. i see it as you have a couple of options. you can adapt and overcome or you can blame hack photographers for killing your business. if people get tired of these posts, why bother opening them and reading and bothering to make a responce. either help the guy out, or move on to a post you enjoy.

add that in with the internet yoru not just seeing photographers from your neighborhood. your in contact with photographers all over the country. 10-15 years ago you'd hang out with one or two people and maybe a photography group or somesort. now you are on the interent, on photography forums blah, blah , blah, add that in with a bad econemy where people are out of work and looking for ways to support thereselves and there family. there are tons of reasons why there are so many photographers. i see it as you have a couple of options. you can adapt and overcome or you can blame hack photographers for killing your business. if people get tired of these posts, why bother opening them and reading and bothering to make a responce. either help the guy out, or move on to a post you enjoy.
I am pretty confident I DID help in my responses. Yeah we get tired and our outlook isn't good and I said so. And will say so again. Doesn't mean I won't help, but it does mean that the OP has to understand why he/she is getting the flack too. If they don't want to deal with the skepticism they can choose to go elsewhere (as it seems they did) or they can get over it and grow. The skeptics aren't going to go away and they're going to be EVERYWHERE. Deal or ?

my responce wasn't really intended for you MLeeK, your actually helpful and have helped me. its more intended for those that like to jump into a post, ***** and moan about the "new photographers" without bothering to help. its kinda almost become like a bandwagon thing because nobody wants to be seen as the new startup business.

my responce wasn't really intended for you MLeeK, your actually helpful and have helped me. its more intended for those that like to jump into a post, ***** and moan about the "new photographers" without bothering to help. its kinda almost become like a bandwagon thing because nobody wants to be seen as the new startup business.

I don't think we are in any way obligated to help those that are "Pro's" (charging for work) when they are onhere asking simple beginner questions! We see a lot of that... and I for one will continue NOT helping those (After all... they are PROS!!!!.. why would they need help with something as simple as basic exposure, or basic focus?)! The OP here isn't in that category "YET!"... unless he is charging for this wedding that is happening a year from now.

A few months back I started a thread about photographers asking advice for and upcoming first wedding shoot. Not all of those advice seekers are total noobies, they may have a decent foundation in knowledge and technique as well as business acumen, but it's their first wedding and they want some advice. As an example might be this OP who is simply asking what equipment is available on a $2000 budget.

So, for future reference, you folks asking advice about an upcoming first wedding shoot, if you simply change the wording from "upcoming wedding" to "upcoming friend's social gathering" you might avoid a lot of negative press. Just a thought.

I am totally confident when I say that NO ONE here has a problem with new startup businesses. New businesses are fantastic and we spend time helping them all of the time-when they have at least the basics of photography. HUGE difference between new, startup business photographer than someone without a clue of how to adequately use a camera.

well maybe im wrong here but i never saw the op mention anything about being a pro or being paid. all i saw what that he agreed to shoot a friends wedding and he has a year to get where he needs to be. that to me is worlds diffrent then joe blow coming on and saying ive got a customer coming over in an hour and i need to learn about exposure. and yet this post still has remarks about" best buy photographers ftw" and " omg another pro photog" remark by another member. like i said. if your offering advice to me its not a big deal. but don't just come into a post to make a crappy remark about someone without even knowing the facts. thats all.

don't get me wrong. i dont have anyting wrong with ripping into someone when they are charging and asking basic questions. but this doesnt appear to be one of those and it's annoying to see the whole battering in every post when the origonal poster never even mentioned getting paid.

I am totally confident when I say that NO ONE here has a problem with new startup businesses. New businesses are fantastic and we spend time helping them all of the time-when they have at least the basics of photography. HUGE difference between new, startup business photographer than someone without a clue of how to adequately use a camera.

careful when you use absolutes. i can imagine allot of people being upset if those business's were moving in next door to them lol.

again guys, my post wasn't intended for anyone who was helping. just meant for those who come in. make a snide comment about someone without knowing any info. to me, no diffrent then trolling.

well maybe im wrong here but i never saw the op mention anything about being a pro or being paid. all i saw what that he agreed to shoot a friends wedding and he has a year to get where he needs to be. that to me is worlds diffrent then joe blow coming on and saying ive got a customer coming over in an hour and i need to learn about exposure. and yet this post still has remarks about" best buy photographers ftw" and " omg another pro photog" remark by another member. like i said. if your offering advice to me its not a big deal. but don't just come into a post to make a crappy remark about someone without even knowing the facts. thats all.

don't get me wrong. i dont have anyting wrong with ripping into someone when they are charging and asking basic questions. but this doesnt appear to be one of those and it's annoying to see the whole battering in every post when the origonal poster never even mentioned getting paid.

I said nothing negative to this OP or about this OP! I would even help this OP, but there are others that have already said what was needed. My response was more to your comment about the "bandwagon thing".. which I consider totally unjustified!

and like i had said to Mleek my origonal post was just for those that jump in, attack the poster without offering any advice and not even knowing if its just a guy trying to better his skills and help a friend, versus someone who bought a camera yesterday and opened shop today.

mainly for this comment. it was his second post on this site.

"As MLeek said...Oh good Lord, not another one! Too many "professional" pho-tog-waphers diluting the already saturated market with their Best Buy gear they got for Christmas from their husband/Mom/Boyfriend etc ad nauseum...and thus driving down industry standards, prices, and concurrently inflating customer expectations of pricing VS product received...."

I have not gone anywhere. I have just been busy. I completely understand getting harsh criticism. My main issue with the posts within the thread are: I was new to the forum and without first finding out any details about me, gear or knowledge It was assumed I knew nothing. I do have a bit of knowledge and skills with photography. I did do some film work also. I came here hoping to fill in some blanks because yes I am a new to DSLR. I was hoping to get some helpful information, but we can see from this thread, that isnt the case.

@MLeek, you have helped me greatly and I thank you for that.

All this being said I have broad shoulders and will continue to grow and learn what I dont know. I will continue to be a part of this forum in hopes to learn from those who have "been there, done that".

To answer other questions: I do plan on making a buisiness of photography. However, now is not the time. I know I am not ready. It is in the future my plan and goal. Thats why I asked about gear on a budget. I want to keep my cost down as best I can until I know I have what it takes to do it right.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, whether positive or negative, because I know I will get honest answers here!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back