Wedding in the Future, need advice now....

pecco22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
this is my first post to this forum. I have been asked to do a wedding for a friend that will not happen for about 1 year. I want to start getting some gear to do this. I want to get it asap so I can practice in the meantime. That being said, right now I only have $2,000 to spend. I am using a D5100 so the crop factor does play a part in my decision. Again I know the budget is low right now, but I am looking for the best bang for the buck and be able to do the job right. I would like to get a Nikon 50mm f1.8G AF-S. other than that I am not sure what way to go. I have researched many lenses and 17-55 f2.8 is great and so is the 70-200 f2.8 but the price on them is just making it to hard. your help and thoughts would be great.

You are going to need those two lenses to cover a wedding-and a speedlight at the very least. Sigma makes a great 70-200 f/2.8 as well as a 24-70 f/2.8. Tamron makes a great 17-50 f/2.8. Add to those a WHOLE lot of knowledge and a few prayers.
$2000 budget:
Used Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF 579-306 B&H $749.95
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD AFB005NII700 B&H Photo $649.
Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Shoe Mount Flash 4808 B&H Photo Video $326.95
And a GOOD photography class with a mentor who does wedding photography.

For starters I would get a Sto Fen diffuser- OK you could get a 'Fong Dong' if you must, good flash and an ETTL cord and a few good books to learn lighting. For equipment there is no ceiling to what could be spent. A Rolls Royce could be cheaper. (I'm imagining dual Hasselblads, Broncolor lighting equipment, an entourage of assitants, etc lol) That may be nice but isn't really necessary. Find out if flash will be allowed inside before you spend any money. Weddings are very surprise-prone and tricky and you get only one chance for most shots. You will want backups of everything and should ask a local wedding photographer whose showcase gallery you admire if you can shadow/volunteer for a few weddings (this is the best way to practice). Maybe you can rent a 70-200mm? This will allow you to observe how they work with the people, save and deliver the photo data, plan the lighting, shooting, unexpected, etc... Also, try to get an assitant to help you. You can do this. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. (there are so many people who get some equipment and think 'wala, I'm now a wedding photographer- this causes the real and budding pros out there to develop sort of a shotgun negative reaction to those that are asking to learn) Just realize that a good wedding shoot is much harder than most people realize. A great wedding shoot takes a lot of well guided experience. Equipment plays 'some' part but experience/know how trumps it every time. Have fun!

I understand that experience is needed and thats why I am asking about all of this over a year in advance. I may even be able to come up with more than 2,000 but right now thats the budget.

@MLeeK will Autofocus work on those lenses with a D5100?

I understand that experience is needed and thats why I am asking about all of this over a year in advance. I may even be able to come up with more than 2,000 but right now thats the budget.

I totally agree. You have been given a gift. One year in advance is great! Also, you can do quite alot with $2,000

Wedding and a new shooter is always a sensitive subject. While 1 year is plenty of time to get ready, the odd is really against you. I have seen some good weeding shooters who learned in a short amount of time, and I have seen bad wedding shooters who have been shooting for a while.

Wedding and a new shooter is always a sensitive subject. While 1 year is plenty of time to get ready, the odd is really against you. I have seen some good weeding shooters who learned in a short amount of time, and I have seen bad wedding shooters who have been shooting for a while.

Thank you for your thoughts however it doesnt really help much. I understand I am relatively new. thats why I came here to ask questions and get advice. I know I am good enough to do this job right. I may even take it further and continue to do weddings. Again the help I am asking for is what can I get for around $2,000 that will allow me to do the job.

Schwetty is right. You need the negatives so you have some acid in your spine to prove them wrong. <br><br>I have a ton of resources depending on what you are working on. Where are you at in your knowledge to date? <br>Are you shooting in full manual? Do you FULLY understand the exposure triangle and how to use it to create exposure and to creatively control the image? <br>What lenses do you currently own? What other gear? <br>Are you shooting in raw or jpeg? Why? <br>What are you using for editing and post processing?

WTF? I've had that happen a few times??? I have no clue what I do to make it happen! LOL!

Thank you for your thoughts however it doesnt really help much. I understand I am relatively new. thats why I came here to ask questions and get advice. I know I am good enough to do this job right. I may even take it further and continue to do weddings. Again the help I am asking for is what can I get for around $2,000 that will allow me to do the job.

I'd love to see your portfolio!

ok to answer your questions.... Nikon D5100, kit lens 18-55, Tamron 70-300mm. I shoot mostly in Manual. I shot in RAW only. I have photoshop CS3, Lightroom 3.5 and also several of the NIK software. I believe I understand exposure very well. I dont mind hearing negatives because it doesnt make me want to prove them wrong. But when I am asking for thoughts on how to move forward in my plans, and only getting the "the odd is really against you." comment doesn't help me. I know everyone doesnt succeed in this field but I would think encouragement would be a better fit here. Just my 2cents and I don't mean any disrespect either.

The thing you have to understand is that we get everybody in the world here who has just bought a new camera from Best Buy and is now ready to shoot weddings professionally. And in our experience it RARELY-if ever-turns out well. It usually costs someone at the very least a friendship, if not thousands of dollars.
Those of us who are shooting weddings are looking at this post and quaking in our shoes for you-or saying "OH, LORD... another one..." And usually the poster doesn't really want to receive the advice they NEED.
We're being light as hell on you right now... What you NEED to do isn't even touched upon here yet.

After we see these posts we often later see one from another new member saying "I photographed my friend's wedding and I need HELP!"

So, you're going to have to deal with our outlook and telling you that this is NOT wise (we do have many years of experience) and the odds are NOT in your favor, or you are going to have to go elsewhere. Where they'll tell you the same thing...

So, either suck it up and scramble in this year, or go to that somewhere else.

Most reactions

Back