Wedding photographers, what shoes are you wearing?

I would rather be unprofessional than kill my feet. But to each his/her own.

That said DocMartens used to be the shoe of choice for people working on their feet such as bartenders, waiters, etc. Their choice of dressy looking shoes was fairly small but all you need is one pair.

To be honest, the way to go is with custom made shoes. I know it seems expensive to most people but it is your feet. And it is not that bad, price wise, once the first pair is made.

That said DocMartens used to be the shoe of choice for people working on their feet such as bartenders, waiters, etc. Their choice of dressy looking shoes was fairly small but all you need is one pair.

To be honest, the way to go is with custom made shoes. I know it seems expensive to most people but it is your feet. And it is not that bad, price wise, once the first pair is made.

You mean be comfortable and not get the job. If I showed up at the Cherokee Town Club with tennis shoes on, I wouldn't be able to get it. How can I photograph if I can't get in?

Last edited:
A nice black running shoe/skate shoe works for me. I'm on my feet hours upon hours every day. I also served for 10 years. The bride and groom will be way to busy to even care what's on your feet anyway. All they want is the end product.

Now I'm not saying show up in a mustard stained white muscle shirt. But honestly as long as the shirt and pants look good I don't think most people would care what's on your feet. Again like I said. As long as the bride and groom get the end result they won't care what's on the photographers feet. I know I didn't. :sexywink:

Exactly! A clean pair of black shoes that fits right is the way to go.

Last edited:
I would have to give another nod to the Rockports. THey are by-far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn and they last for a long time.

Another option is you can wear a BRIGHT hawaiian shirt and no one would notice your shoes, they'd be too busy staring at your shirt. ;)

I am in no way a pro, but speaking solely as someone who was married only a year ago and as a guest at many other weddings I couldn't tell you what a single photographer was wearing anywhere especially on their feet.

As the groom I was far more concerned about my wife and making sure our wedding went perfect than that the photographer was wearing. As it related to the photographer I was more concerned with his product than his appearance.

What I've found in my jobs have been if I'm uncomfortable I'm more irritable and prone to making stupid mistakes. I do my best work when I'm relaxed and comfortable. If wearing tennis shoes makes you more comfortable and allows you to focus more on your work go for it. I see no problem with a simple plain dark pair of tennis shoes that won't clash with your pants.

I used to wear dress shoes when shooting weddings, but I never really had a good pair, so my feet would hurt and they would wear out. I did use fresh insoles quite often, so that did help. Also, they were sometimes noisy and didn't have enough traction for some of the situations we were shooting in.

Lately, I've been wearing some casual looking hiking shoes. They are very light and ventilated almost to the point of being sandals. Very comfortable and quite.

If I do know that we will be shooting in a ritzy location, I'll bring appropriate attire, but lately, the trend has been to dress for comfort and functionality...after all, I'm not in the photos.

I have a very bad back (3 herniated disks, waiting forever for surgery) I HAVE to wear good shoes.. or at least good insoles.. my last wedding that I shot, I wore Chucks, with my berkinstock insoles in them.. the wedding before that, I work my birkenstocks..

I've never once had a person complain about what I wear, mainly because, they aren't looking at me.. I usually wear khaki pants and a nice white golf shirt, and, if its the summer, my birks, or, I'll wear my chucks with my insoles..

image.jpg

birkenstock-mens-arizona.jpg

Do your feet a favor and get a pair of Ecco's.

I walk a lot and often wear dress shoes. I struggled with breaking a new pair of shoes in... I HATED it. It was the part of shoe shopping I dreaded most... wondering if and how long it would take to break a new pair in.

Then a friend told me about Ecco's. I thought *yeah right*... a pair of factory shoes that fit like a glove and don't need to be broken in. I bought a pair 10 years ago. I have nothing but Ecco's now.

Do your feet a favor and get a pair of Ecco's.

I walk a lot and often wear dress shoes. I struggled with breaking a new pair of shoes in... I HATED it. It was the part of shoe shopping I dreaded most... wondering if and how long it would take to break a new pair in.

Then a friend told me about Ecco's. I thought *yeah right*... a pair of factory shoes that fit like a glove and don't need to be broken in. I bought a pair 10 years ago. I have nothing but Ecco's now.

whats the sole like in those? I need proper arches otherwise my back goes all to heck..

You mean be comfortable and not get the job. If I showed up at the Cherokee Town Club with tennis shoes on, I wouldn't be able to get it. How can I photograph if I can't get in?

Obviously not but there is a difference between one wedding and every one of them. If it was the only place in town where weddings happen however, I would switch my type of photography :lol:

Obviously not but there is a difference between one wedding and every one of them. If it was the only place in town where weddings happen however, I would switch my type of photography :lol:

LOL

Look for a shoe brand called Cole Haan. They have dress shoes that have Nike Air cushioning build in the shoes (can't tell from the outside) for men and women. Including high heels !

It's not just there, I was giving that as an example. I shoot quite a few at the Town Club. I must be shooting more high end weddings.

It's not just there, I was giving that as an example. I shoot quite a few at the Town Club. I must be shooting more high end weddings.

I'll say more formal maybe because I don't know what a high end wedding is. :lol:

Once I figured out how I wanted to do weddings most of mine came through my commercial work and most of my B&Gs were "artsier" people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back