Wedding Photography - What's your style?

elizh2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was a second shooter for a few weddings last fall, and am going to be assisting the same photographer this spring as well as being a second shooter for a wedding this summer when we visit my husbands family out of state (his mom's best friend is a wedding photographer, and is who I'll be assisting) My goal is to eventually feel confident enough to venture in to the wedding photography business myself, and have had clients ask me to do their weddings, but I want to get as much experience as I can before doing so! Anyway, here are my questions for all of you experienced wedding photographers. Where do you usually stand during the ceremony? Most of the weddings I've assisted with have been in churches that require you stay in one location, one of the weddings was outside with no photography restrictions and the photographer I was assisting was ALL OVER THE PLACE! He did get great shots, that he probably wouldn't have without moving so much, but I think at one point he was standing in the middle of the aisle (taking pictures of the bridesmaids/brides as they came down the aisle. but from where I was standing I felt like he was blocking the view of the groom. Is this normal/acceptable? I honestly can't remember where my photographers were on my wedding day so maybe it isn't a big deal.

So my main questions I have is,

If there aren't any restrictions where do you stand, how much moving around do you do?

First look - How do you usually approach this? I've done first touch but never first look but will be doing so at a wedding soon, friends of the couple will also be videotaping. Do you usually step back and let the couple have their space while still capturing it?

What lens do you recommend for group photos and why?

Any tips you can give me to help better myself as far as wedding photography goes?

seriously though...when I second shoot for someone (even my wife) pre-wedding communication is critical!
you both should already know the layout of the venue, and have at least a basic plan of who is going to shoot what, where, and when.
the most important thing to remember as a second shooter is that the main photographer is the MAIN PHOTOGRAPHER!
follow their lead, stay out of their way, and help in any way you can. A good second shooter should compliment the main photographer. as a second shooter, we are just another tool in the main photographers wedding arsenal. If you have a good main you are working with, they should be willing to teach you as much as you are willing to learn. its a great relationship. my wife interned with a wedding and portrait photographer for many years before starting her own business. I cant think of a better way to get into wedding photography. personally, Im content to stay a second shooter and let my wife or other photographer handle all the business stuff. I get to kick back and only worry about getting some good shots.

If there are no restrictions, go where you want, but be respectful of the ceremony and audience. Don't hover over the groom's shoulder or stand in front of mom and dad. I try not to stand directly behind the b&g but a bit off to one side. If you're restricted to one spot, I'd be in the center aisle and stand up and shoot when necessary. I prefer a telephoto during the ceremony so I can move around and get tight shots without having to be physically close. Telephoto lends a more intimate compressed look anyway. You should find out from the lead photographer what her expectations are and if she has any specific tasks for you. If not, you can stand in the aisle to take pictures, but once you take your two shots, get out of the way and then reset for the next couple. For most shots, I prefer a medium zoom, like 24-85, because it's adaptable and people are usually moving. Don't shoot what the lead photographer is shooting. If she's one place, go to another and get those shots. If she's shooting the b&g's faces as they walk down, you shoot their backs. Provide something different.

Hello! Here are some answers to your questions:
Where do you usually stand during the ceremony? we shoot with two photographers. We are constantly watching the other to ensure we are not in the same place during the ceremony. If there are no restrictions from the officiant go crazy well not to crazy to disrupt the ceremony. We usually discuss whom is responsible for the major parts of the ceremony ie first kiss, walking up isle.etc. We always love the shot right after the ceremony when the couple is walking down the isle. Stop them half way and ask them to kiss...I am usually on the ground or on a ladder! using our wide angle lens its a pretty great shot. Again we move around alot but try and be quiet and not distrupt the ceremony. Turn off your beeping if your camera beeps!

Usaully long lenses are the best then you are not in there face during the ceremony or tyring to capture more candid moments after. We use the L series 70-200mm for this. It is one of our favourite lenses.

Depending on the group size we use either our wide angle if nesscary but mostly use our 50mm L series lens because its so crisp. Make sure you use a wide aperature to ensure all the faces in the group are in focus.

Always have the bride do a shot list so you know exactly what they are looking for in terms of family groups. This way day of the wedding she isn't scrambling to make sure she doesn't offend people.

Hope this helps!

www.Anexphotography.com

Photographer Hamilton Burlington Oakville Ontario

Follow our movements on:

Facebook Fansites: Isabella-Rose little moments Photography (kids and families) and or Anex Photography (weddings and engagements)
Instagram: just hashtag #isabella-rosephotography #anexphotography

Most reactions

Back