wedding photography

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i want to start shooting wedding and event photography, and wanted to know which lenses you guys recommend.
preferably the jack of all trades of wedding lenses due to my tight budget.
(i am using a Canon 50D)

It sounds like you plan to shoot a wedding with one lens and one camera???

tight budget does lead to a fun event.

you need fast lenses, either primes or zooms, which means something like a 24-70 f2.8 or 1.4 / 1.8 primes.

If you are being paid for weddings, then it is your responsibility to ensure things go well, even with equipement failure. This means you need a second body in case something happens to the first during the day (trust me, it does happen) as well as a first and second hotshoe flash.

I do stress though that if you do not know enough about the technicalities of a camera and photography that you need to ask in a beginner section of a forum what lens you should get, you probably have a ways to go to be ready to shoot a wedding.

Try and second shoot or assist under a professional a few times to get an idea of how the day goes.

Other than equipement, a huge aspect is the legality (contracts) of wedding photography and the whole psychological aspect of dealing with masses of people, others with dslrs who think they can step in front of you and shoot and dealing with problematic brides.

Throw onto this that you do not have the time to reshoot things, dealing with such a variety of light conditions from very low light, sunny conditions for formal shoots and a wedding photographers bain....rain (went through my first rained out wedding this past August).

so i want to start shooting wedding and event photography, and wanted to know which lenses you guys recommend.
preferably the jack of all trades of wedding lenses due to my tight budget.
(i am using a Canon 50D)
Since no one really mentioned it, I guess I'll be an @$$ and say that asking a Q of such means you aren't ready to be shooting weddings.
Few important points twinky mentioned:
back up: body, lenses, lighting,
contract,
knowledge of photography, knowledge in lighting, post processing isn't EXTREMELY important, especially if you'll be sending job to lab for proof prints (they'll correct the color).
Do you have any of that!?

All of this I'm saying based on your post. You didn't give any background info of what your expertise level and/or how long you been involved in photography. You just want a lens to shoot - sorry pal screwing someone's once in a life time memories is something I take to heart and very personal.
Now, if you'll come back with some feedback of your background I'd GLADLY give you a huge list of gear as well as alternative gear that might not be as GREAT but will be suffice until you'll have the money of upgrade.
:D

Hey guys, I have picked up some work lights with clamps from Home Depot and daylight bulbs, I wanted to know if that and my D40 would be enough to get the photos I need at a wedding? I also have a Sony Cybershot for backups..

thanks.

Hey guys, I have picked up some work lights with clamps from Home Depot and daylight bulbs, I wanted to know if that and my D40 would be enough to get the photos I need at a wedding? I also have a Sony Cybershot for backups..

thanks.

I think it would be better for you to start your own thread? Instead of butting in with your own question on a thread where someone else is searching for help.

However, to answer your question...I think that there is no exact way to tell if that is what you will need. There are soooo many variables that not even the best posters on here can tell you that you're set with the gear you listed.

Hey, do you guys just copy and paste your replies from the ten other threads you have said this in?

:lmao:

What IgsEMT says.... BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

For you wedding photographers out there, if you need a backup camera, I will loan you my Fujifilm 2650.

Or,

You can get one of your own, off eBay, for about $25.00

Another one of these same kind of "going pro without even having a clue" threads, geesh...

This kind of stuffff is quickly becoming one of my biggest TPF pet peeves.

thanks.

Don't forget a surge protector and extension cord for the lights. You should be good to go after that.

Might want to bring some tacos too... Tacos are always good to have on hand...

thanks.

I think it would be better for you to start your own thread? Instead of butting in with your own question on a thread where someone else is searching for help.

However, to answer your question...I think that there is no exact way to tell if that is what you will need. There are soooo many variables that not even the best posters on here can tell you that you're set with the gear you listed.
Will, was the first part a question or a statement? I was confused by the question mark......:(

I was also being 100% sarcastic. If I had a generic wedding question, I would just search for my answer.

thanks.

Don't forget a surge protector and extension cord for the lights. You should be good to go after that.

Might want to bring some tacos too... Tacos are always good to have on hand...
I would have never thought to bring tacos!!!!!

I did just come up with an idea... I will bring a flashlight and then have them all stand really still and I will PAINT them...... hell yeah.

Dude, how could you even consider shooting a wedding without tacos?!?!

Yeah, the painting idea rocks! You'll need extra tacos though... Painting means more waiting around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back