wedding rings with christmas bokeh

I am not a big fan of sharp-side bokeh with dark circles that ring the outer perimeter of each bokeh ball...just...not...that...pretty...a...bokeh...shape...

I dunno...it was interesting to see how the watermark was almost a visual element in the original shot--it sort of "anchored" my eye, down on the rings. When the watermark was removed, the rings seemed to be less-important visually, and just less of a "factor". In a way, it felt like the rings almost (but not quite) disappeared with the watermark removed. Odd...

w/o the watermark, I like it.

I might work on it some more in layers... darken and reduce the contrast, and maybe even the saturation of the background...
brighten the rings... but work to keep the highlights from blowing on the top right.

Something like this. Maybe. Except with more care and a gentler hand.. I just whacked the layers quickly to show whats possible.

attachment.php

Attachments

• $rings-post.jpg
    $rings-post.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 89
I am not a big fan of sharp-side bokeh with dark circles that ring the outer perimeter of each bokeh ball...just...not...that...pretty...a...bokeh...shape...

I dunno...it was interesting to see how the watermark was almost a visual element in the original shot--it sort of "anchored" my eye, down on the rings. When the watermark was removed, the rings seemed to be less-important visually, and just less of a "factor". In a way, it felt like the rings almost (but not quite) disappeared with the watermark removed. Odd...

That's quite true in many images. Watermarks add that branding or commercial feel to it and sometimes makes the content more significant - performed conciously at times by us and many others. Bet if we slap it a Tiffany brand there it would even catch more attention. lol

Willis regarding your photo I personally think it's a great shot, watermarks don't bother me at all. Good Job! The watermark is part of the brand your selling, I actually think it's a good thing.

I was going to post the same thing as camz. The placement of the watermark made this seem very commercial. Not a bad thing. I like the shot a lot :)

***My critique is something COMPLETELY out of your control, but may be important anyway***

This images reads really strange to me because the rings don't really look like they go together. I see the man's ring, and her engagement ring, and I'm guessing the third ring is her wedding ring. It looks a whole lot like a man's ring, that, imo, doesn't really go with her engagement ring. There's nothing wrong with this for the couple, and it is a great shot for them to have. However, if I were looking at your portfolio and considering hiring you, this image would leave me asking questions about the wedding. So, while it is a good image, it may not be the best to show to potential clients.

^^^That was my unspoken gripe. I really don't like the rings and how they go (or don't go) together.

***My critique is something COMPLETELY out of your control, but may be important anyway***

This images reads really strange to me because the rings don't really look like they go together. I see the man's ring, and her engagement ring, and I'm guessing the third ring is her wedding ring. It looks a whole lot like a man's ring, that, imo, doesn't really go with her engagement ring. There's nothing wrong with this for the couple, and it is a great shot for them to have. However, if I were looking at your portfolio and considering hiring you, this image would leave me asking questions about the wedding. So, while it is a good image, it may not be the best to show to potential clients.

That's very common for the wedding bands to match, and not match the engagement ring. :sexywink:

I agree with derrel about the hard edges on the circles. I also think you could have picked a better table surface. Perhaps more reflective surface or natural wood?

I'm a fan of the shot.. though I must admit I think the watermark somehow added something to the original image that I can't explain, but I definitely get what they're saying. Regardless of that, its a great shot, executed very well.

I agree that there's too much background, and the bokeh are not very nice.

The rings don't separate enough from the background for my taste. The tonality seems to be similar, and the harsh bokeh make the background weirdly similar in texture to the rings. Smoother bokeh would give you better textural separation, and I think this is looking for a darker background.

Also, it's "for all intents and purposes" not "all intensive purposes" -- this is a really common mistake, but it drives me nuts!

It may be me but its such a shallow DOF that the ring is on the edge of the OOF part of the photo...the focus is landing just in front of the ring...also, should the diamond be a little more noticeable? It seems dull and lifeless. The OOF points in the background are very distracting from the subject which I would assume is the ring. What were the points of light in the background or is that faked "bokeh". I notice a few of them have irregular bottoms (specifically the ones to the immediate left and right of the ring).

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back