Wedding Shoot ::FacePalm::

To turn the sound off on your D-5000, push the "info" button, then go down to "shooting modes." There should be one in that list called "quiet mode." (You can use the little " ? " button to show the names of the icons.) In silent mode, your AF will not beep, and your AF lamp will not light.

If you have to choose an auto mode, I would recommend portrait over Auto.. But I would highly advise aperture priority or shutter priority if you're not comfortable with manual.

When I'm shooting in a Church, I don't like to use flash because chances are that a little pop up flash isn't going to light things evenly enough or strong enough to bother. I'd stick on your 50mm 1.8 and use it for the majority of the "action" shots during the ceremony. Keep it wide open, (or mostly wide open without loosing too much focus) and get as close as the pastor/ couple will allow you to be.

I asked the priest at this girl's quinceanera how close he was alright with having the photographer stand for pictures during the ceremony, and he said "as close as my nose if you have to!" LOL . Some pastors are great about this.. Some will say you must stand at the back of the Church >< (time for telephoto and tripod!)

But if they are comfortable with you moving around while things are happening (try to be as non distracting as possible) don't be shy and take advantage of it! You'll get your best shots this way. When I finally got over being nervous during Church events, I was able to take some of my favorite shots. Here's one during that girl's quinceanera:)

4515270719_09685ca5a6.jpg

I haven't done weddings yet (and hopefully won't be in your situation for a good long while LOL).. But I've done events in Churches and have had the best luck and control will my 50mm. Later, I like to do some wide angle shots and get more of the Church in the frame, or try some creative things- but I always have the best luck with the 50mm. Just be aware of your aperture and how much you want in focus. It's very easy to miss the focus when you shoot wide open.

Another great tip I heard that helped me a ton, was don't be afraid to boost your ISO. Especially with indoor Church photography. Will your pictures be more noisy? (possibly, probably at the highest settings..) But don't let yourself miss the perfect shot because you had to lower your shutter speed too low, or close your aperture too much all because you had "ISO fears. =P" Good exposure, fast enough shutter speeds, are much more likely to make the biggest impact on your pictures than your ISO will. It takes a good eye to notice the ISO noise in most pictures, especially if there is no camera shake, overblown exposure, or underexposer to make it more obvious.

And most importantly HAVE FUN!! What a great opportunity! I know ideally you wouldn't have to be the main photographer- you would like to second shoot, or back up, or anything but be stuck as their only photographer. But as you clearly demonstrated, you're stuck with it, so now you can make the most of it. You'll get great experience- don't be afraid to be creative! Just maybe they will be pleasantly suprised with the results =)

Best of luck!
.. oh ..ooops.. i totally went right passed this sucker..haha, :: reading now::

.. oh ..ooops.. i totally went right passed this sucker..haha, :: reading now::

Summary- this post is pretty much useless because I didn't realize you couldn't get the 50mm yet :lol:

Well, Lol, I read it... There was some good advice in there.. I REALLLY appreciate the last min help. Im nuts for doing this.. but i see it as Experience and just make the best with what you have.
::NOTE TO SELF::.... By A FILL FLASH! lol *smh*

Headed out for the afternoon, so I just wanted to say good luck and have a blast! And when you're all done, post up some pictures for us! =)

I am excited for you! I can't speak from experience, but the advice I have for you is to act the part! The bride knows you aren't pro, but nobody else does! Walk in like you own the place, fake confidence if you need to. But definitely assert yourself and show other people that you are the stand-in photographer and that you are the one directing the shots! Do your best, have fun, shoot a LOT and see what you get!

You can create natural depth of field with your kit lenses by getting close to your subjects. I would probably take the 18-55 lens only and just move around alot. Be nice, but get in everyone's face. And the wide-angle could be useful in creating some interesting compositions.

Wow, that really sucks for them, but being in your position, don't feel too pressured. You're not the one responsible for this. Do your best with what you have. Take LOTS of pictures and your chances of having more successful ones goes up. :)

i would rent a af-s 24-70 for the wedding day.

Headed out for the afternoon, so I just wanted to say good luck and have a blast! And when you're all done, post up some pictures for us! =)

Will do! :) when bring them home.. clean them up and i'll post some..
Thanks for your help and support! Your awesome!

I am excited for you! I can't speak from experience, but the advice I have for you is to act the part! The bride knows you aren't pro, but nobody else does! Walk in like you own the place, fake confidence if you need to. But definitely assert yourself and show other people that you are the stand-in photographer and that you are the one directing the shots! Do your best, have fun, shoot a LOT and see what you get!
Absolutely! Thank you. lol

You can create natural depth of field with your kit lenses by getting close to your subjects. I would probably take the 18-55 lens only and just move around alot. Be nice, but get in everyone's face. And the wide-angle could be useful in creating some interesting compositions.

So you think i should use the kit lens, rather than stand out of the way and zoom in?

Zoom makes for lazy photography. And this is coming from someone who is still quite nervous about street shooting or any kind of 'people' shooting.

The simple fact is the more you are engaged in the action, the better your pictures will be. Learn to use what you got. Work with the "limitations."

Easier said than done, though, right? I understand completely. If this were me, I'd use the event as an opportunity to be more outgoing and engaging as a photographer.

Zoom makes for lazy photography. And this is coming from someone who is still quite nervous about street shooting or any kind of 'people' shooting.

The simple fact is the more you are engaged in the action, the better your pictures will be. Learn to use what you got. Work with the "limitations."

Easier said than done, though, right? I understand completely. If this were me, I'd use the event as an opportunity to be more outgoing and engaging as a photographer.

For me..wanting to use the 200mm, it isnt about being lazy. I know all of these people... and getting up in there face is no issue for me. I just assumed that the DOF, and the Bokeh and all that.... would benefit more from using it.. compared to the"crappy" kit lens...but I wont hesitate to use it if itll better the shots.

You can't go wrong with the kit lens. That thing is awesome for almost every situation (Mine is at least). Go into this thinking 'I am going to take some amazing photos'. Confidence in yourself is half the battle. If you go in thinking you are going to mess the pictures up, you probably will because you won't try as hard. Don't worry about the click of the camera like others said, they won't even notice it, and if they do, they know what you are there for and that it's all part of the ceremony. I agree with doing some posed shots after the ceremony as well. Good luck to you, I hope all goes well!!!

Most reactions

Back