Wedding shoot noob

farleyfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but here we go. This afternoon I'm driving down with a friend of mine to where her daughter is getting married.. She asked me if I would do the pictures for the wedding.. My question is I'm planning on taking my camera with me to take a few pics while we are down there.. Am I on the right track or should I go without camera and just look around? The wedding itself is mainly outside.

That's kind of how I feel... I've been down there before but it was 3 years ago on motorcycle ride and we didn't do a lot of looking around the . It's a small mountain rage her in Oklahoma ... Well if wanna call it that. :)

farleyfoto said:
That's kind of how I feel... I've been down there before but it was 3 years ago on motorcycle ride and we didn't do a lot of looking around the . It's a small mountain rage her in Oklahoma ... Well if wanna call it that. :)

Sorry for typos on phone.

Who asked you, the friend, or the bride, and what are they expecting? Going down as a friend and taking some pictures at the wedding is a VASTLY different enterprise than being the wedding photographer.

tirediron said:
Who asked you, the friend, or the bride, and what are they expecting? Going down as a friend and taking some pictures at the wedding is a VASTLY different enterprise than being the wedding photographer.

Mother of the bride. She saw a few from when I took pictures at sister in laws wedding last year. She has talked to the bride(her daughter) and they both want me to do the pictures. I wasn't planning on charging them cause it's just practice for me.

Well, if it's 'just practice' for you that kind of increases the chances of failure.
I'm not saying you can't shoot nice photos, but if you happen to have a bad day it can never be fixed.
Make sure you can and want to do it because if you fail that might not improve your relations... And you wouldn't want that. :)

Judobreaker said:
Well, if it's 'just practice' for you that kind of increases the chances of failure.
I'm not saying you can't shoot nice photos, but if you happen to have a bad day it can never be fixed.
Make sure you can and want to do it because if you fail that might not improve your relations... And you wouldn't want that. :)

I agree with that. And I have asked myself that question over and over the last week since she asked me. And I want to do it and I KNOW I CAN. I'm honestly excited about doing it...:)

Remeber that what they saw of the pictures you took were probably the best pictures you took and they are extrapolating that you can do that well with every circumstance.
Be aware that they don't understand lighting and distance etc., so you will have to produce no matter what.
Can you do that well with what equipment you have and your experience?

The_Traveler said:
Remeber that what they saw of the pictures you took were probably the best pictures you took and they are extrapolating that you can do that well with every circumstance.
Be aware that they don't understand lighting and distance etc., so you will have to produce no matter what.
Can you do that well with what equipment you have and your experience?

Yes I can... In the last two years I've been taking classes on learning lighting and how to use my equipment... I feel good about taking this on...

Do you have backup equipment if your camera decides to stop working or you trip and crack your lens halfway through the wedding?

I do have a back up and I am prepared for it.. But thanks for speaking your mind.

Im very new to photography. I have noticed how negative some (alot) of people are on here. I dont get why people have to trash other people when they ask a question. Thats how they learn. There are many ways to answer something without being so childish. I sometimes feel like I'm reading high school kids talk! Its also refreshing to find pro's on here that are nice and want to help! I just can't stand the ones that come on here and try to be so mean to make themselves feel better!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back