Well here it is... my wildlife instructional video debut

For example, here are a few things that I think are lacking informatively or just omitted in the video...

Good points all, and you're right that we're not trying to be comprehensive in that video, but just to share our own experiences and opinions. It's part of Chapter 8 of my book, which is intended to be much more comprehensive. The videos are designed to compliment, supplement, and extend the written text.

BTW, that monopod that Chelsea's using in the picture does have a tilt head. We still all hate it for that type of work. I mean, if you try to tilt it up, it's rotating around a point that's not your head, so you'd have to lower your head. That's true of any monopod or tripod... In our collective opinion, it's just easier to raise the camera, than to lower your head, and that's easiest without anything attached.

But I do have a whole section in chapter 8 that discusses the proper use of monopods and tripods for wildlife work, and there's also a detailed overview of different types of tripods, monopods, and heads (in Chapter 10, I think). I even cover flash with wildlife, even though I'm not a fan.

LOL...'SorryCanada" -that is awesome you are great!

I looked at amazon.com first (linked from your website, nice website by the way), which as you know is the US site, and your book cost $20-ish. Then I went to amazon.ca where I can order from, but your book was $80 there, which irritated me- not your fault because I bet you don't get that extra $60 (if you do then more power to you!), but it always bugs me when there is a big price difference like that. Here's the link to the Canadian side so you can see what I mean: http://www.amazon.ca/Tony-Northrups-Dslr-Book-Photography/dp/0988263408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372471543&sr=8-1&keywords=tony+northrup%27s+dslr+book+how+to+create+stunning+digital+photography+paperback

I actually have no problem paying the $31 USD, but I will take advantage of your coupon because I love how you titled it :) And thank you very much!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For example, here are a few things that I think are lacking informatively or just omitted in the video...

Good points all, and you're right that we're not trying to be comprehensive in that video, but just to share our own experiences and opinions. It's part of Chapter 8 of my book, which is intended to be much more comprehensive. The videos are designed to compliment, supplement, and extend the written text.

BTW, that monopod that Chelsea's using in the picture does have a tilt head. We still all hate it for that type of work. I mean, if you try to tilt it up, it's rotating around a point that's not your head, so you'd have to lower your head. That's true of any monopod or tripod... In our collective opinion, it's just easier to raise the camera, than to lower your head, and that's easiest without anything attached.

But I do have a whole section in chapter 8 that discusses the proper use of monopods and tripods for wildlife work, and there's also a detailed overview of different types of tripods, monopods, and heads (in Chapter 10, I think). I even cover flash with wildlife, even though I'm not a fan.

oh okay, yeah if its just supplementary to something more comprehensive in the book, then that makes a lot more sense.

I'm not a huge fan of the tilt heads either, I don't like the low pivot point below the lens, I don't like where you have to hold the monopod down below everything making it feel top heavy, etc. Personally I use a sidemounted gimbal with the panning axis completely locked down, and use the tilt axis with a slight drag on it, it allows a better pivot point, lets me grab and stabilize the pod laterally to the lens rather than below it, etc. it just is a lot more balanced and works well for me although its a bit unconventional. I still prefer handholding like most people here and for obvious reason, though with a 600f4 + body + TC (if used) its not an option a lot of the time, so monopod technique comes into play much more with that one, it takes some getting used to though.

Looks like I have missed a lot today. First thanks for all your kind words :)

Congrats on your video debut :) I have great respect for your work, but after watching the video it has jumped tenfold. I didn't realize all that went into getting those great bird shots. Informative video and nicely done.
This is only half of it, we didn't mention hiking for miles being covered in mosquitoes and horseflies and finding no birds :( or the early hours... yuck :)

Nice video. Kris I'm surprised you admit to the "spray and pray technique":)
LOL, MS, I know you shoot Ospreys and have seen their dives... I would love to be able to take 1 shot and catch the perfect dive shot and not spray and pray, not gonna happen lol.. It was funny I started mumbling about pay and spay and spay and ray, lol, It was like my conscious wouldn't let me say it :) Of course I call it Fire and Admire :lol:

Both videos are great! Lots of good tips in them.

Coastalconn - I got a kick out of watching you watch those ospreys fly by...lol. Nice debut - I bet you were nervous (I would have been!) but you spoke well.
Thanks I was nervous for sure, but Ospreys kept flying around and I did laugh about my eyes (and my sketchiness, lol) when I saw the video :)

Wow as if Tony N is on this forum :)
I promise you it is Tony Northrup himself...

I totally agree with this, I have a monopod but rarely use it for wildlife. It's not only about when you need to shoot up, but also down. I've also done those upward shots where my monopod was flailing around in front of me like you guys mentioned in the video, but also have had a few times when I was trying to shoot a tern hitting the water to catch a fish or something similar, and my monopod was hitting me in the shins. Very awkward for sure!

There is no way I'm gonna bow down and pay homage to a "Movie Star" now, Kris ;) No matter what you're still "Just Kris" to some of use.

Good video. Informative and well done.

I do carry a tripod with me most of the time though. Not for in-flight shots, they most assuredly do not work for that, but when you reach a point that the hands start to shake a bit they are worth their weight in gold for the still shots. I have a monopod but seldom use it since it doesn't provide the stability that I want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back