What's new

Well, it was only a matter of time!

480sparky45 45

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
25,394
Reaction score
9,148
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before IT happened. IT being what happened to me tonight.

I got a nice used copy of a Nikkor 20/2.8D AF in the mail the other day, and decided to take it on a test run at a nearby courthouse. I like this one because it's full of detail and is a good test subject. It's also in my home town, so I'm prejudiced.

D62_2361post.jpg


D62_2369post.jpg


As I'm taking the second image, a guy walks up and asks why I'm taking photos. I tell him I'm testing out a new lens I just got.

"But you can't do that! It's against the law!"

Me: "Huh? It's a public building, and I'm on public property. There's no law against taking photos like this......."

Him: "They passed a law making it a crime to take photos in public like this......"

Me: "Are you a lawyer or a law enforcement officer? If so, let me know what law I'm violating."

Him: "Well, I can't quote the law because I don't have it with me, but............"

Me: "Actually, you can't quote the law because it doesn't exist."

At this point, I start to walk away and continue shooting. He follows me.

Me: "Look, I'm not asking you to quote this 'law' verbatim. But is it a city, county, state or federal law?"

Him: "I don't know, I just know it's......."

Me: "Well, then you'd better call Google up and tell them they need to take their Street View web site off the internet."

I walk away again, and he just stands there. His wife was standing by their SUV, talking (to the local constabulary, no doubt!) on the cell phone. They continue to watch me until I finish and get in my truck and drive away.

OK, rant over.


BTW, I love this lens. I had a 20/2.8 back in my film days and boy does this classic piece of glass take me back.
 
:lmao: at that story. Somehow, it never ceases to amaze me, the level of ignorance some people can attain.

On another note--dang, now I think I'm liking that 20/2.8. I was thinking more the 28, just for the price, but...I just don't know! Well, I took the leap and bought that Tammy anyway, so the wide angle will depend on whether I find ANY of them for a really good price...we're talking REALLY good here. ;-)
Unless I don't like the Tamron and return it.
 
Next time tell them you're doing surveillance

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
 
Call Google - now there's a response! LOL

You know, I think people might see something somewhere online and don't really know what it's all about. Obviously there are concerns about public buildings that I don't think used to even occur to us before some of the things that have happened in the past 10 or so years. (I mean, who could have imagined the kind that when you first hear about it, it seems unbelievable...)

I think being informed yourself is the best thing to do then you can inform someone who's asking about it and help educate them as to what is allowed or what isn't.
 
Before IT happened. IT being what happened to me tonight.

I got a nice used copy of a Nikkor 20/2.8D AF in the mail the other day, and decided to take it on a test run at a nearby courthouse. I like this one because it's full of detail and is a good test subject. It's also in my home town, so I'm prejudiced.





As I'm taking the second image, a guy walks up and asks why I'm taking photos. I tell him I'm testing out a new lens I just got.

"But you can't do that! It's against the law!"

Me: "Huh? It's a public building, and I'm on public property. There's no law against taking photos like this......."

Him: "They passed a law making it a crime to take photos in public like this......"

Me: "Are you a lawyer or a law enforcement officer? If so, let me know what law I'm violating."

Him: "Well, I can't quote the law because I don't have it with me, but............"

Me: "Actually, you can't quote the law because it doesn't exist."

At this point, I start to walk away and continue shooting. He follows me.

Me: "Look, I'm not asking you to quote this 'law' verbatim. But is it a city, county, state or federal law?"

Him: "I don't know, I just know it's......."

Me: "Well, then you'd better call Google up and tell them they need to take their Street View web site off the internet."

I walk away again, and he just stands there. His wife was standing by their SUV, talking (to the local constabulary, no doubt!) on the cell phone. They continue to watch me until I finish and get in my truck and drive away.

OK, rant over.


BTW, I love this lens. I had a 20/2.8 back in my film days and boy does this classic piece of glass take me back.

Actually that helps a lot believe it or not. I was wondering why homeland security called and asked for your address. You might want to order extra pizza tonight. That usually puts them in a little bit better mood. Or so I heard.. lol
 
Big brother is us! Everyone with a cell phone is waiting to rat each other out to the law.
 
Last edited:
Big brother is us! Everyone with a cell phone waiting to eat each other out to the law.

Well I'm just really thankful that we have such concerned citizens that they are willing to take even laws that don't exist into their own hands. It's like, vigilantes with Alzheimer's really. Brings a tear to my eye.. lol
 
Actually that helps a lot believe it or not. I was wondering why homeland security called and asked for your address. You might want to order extra pizza tonight. That usually puts them in a little bit better mood. Or so I heard.. lol


Dammit. I brought home a couple dozen Kripsy Kremes instead.
 
Actually that helps a lot believe it or not. I was wondering why homeland security called and asked for your address. You might want to order extra pizza tonight. That usually puts them in a little bit better mood. Or so I heard.. lol


Dammit. I brought home a couple dozen Kripsy Kremes instead.

Well if nothing else toss them in the air if you have to make a run for it. No better distraction than flying cop food.. lol.
 
That is a pretty building. Anyone ever keep track of the architects for the buildings they shoot? i looked up a couple ive done that's it.
 
did you snap a quick shot of him too? That would have really rattled his cage.
 
Sparky, you should have asked him - Are you Little Brother? Can I call your Big Brother for you so that you can feel safe again?
 
That is a pretty building. Anyone ever keep track of the architects for the buildings they shoot? i looked up a couple ive done that's it.

Well, let's just say the original architects aren't around any more. It was patterned after this.

As a sidebar:

Back in the early 80's (when I lived a block away from this building), I was walking by it and an older man on a bicycle was taking a photo of it. As I walked by, he asked me if I'd take his photo with the courthouse in the background. I happily obliged, and commented on his French accent.

He, indeed, was from France, taking a bicycle trip across the US. This courthouse was very special to him as he told me some of his ancestors helped build the French chateau it's patterned after. Stopping to see this building was the highlight of his trip. I invited him to have lunch with me on the spot, and we spent over 2 hours together. I have long since lost his name & address, but I'm sure he enjoyed the photo I took of him.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom