What's new

Well, it was only a matter of time!

That is a pretty building. Anyone ever keep track of the architects for the buildings they shoot? i looked up a couple ive done that's it.

Well, let's just say the original architects aren't around any more. It was patterned after this.

As a sidebar:

Back in the early 80's (when I lived a block away from this building), I was walking by it and an older man on a bicycle was taking a photo of it. As I walked by, he asked me if I'd take his photo with the courthouse in the background. I happily obliged, and commented on his French accent.

He, indeed, was from France, taking a bicycle trip across the US. This courthouse was very special to him as he told me some of his ancestors helped build the French chateau it's patterned after. Stopping to see this building was the highlight of his trip. I invited him to have lunch with me on the spot, and we spent over 2 hours together. I have long since lost his name & address, but I'm sure he enjoyed the photo I took of him.

What a great story!
I love it when a "chance" encounter like that leads to something more interesting.

Big brother is us! Everyone with a cell phone is waiting to rat each other out to the law.
If you see something, say something. Yeah, we've come a long way, baby!!

The ONLY reason that I don't get stopped constantly when I'm out on the bus platform taking pictures of buses and operators is because they all know me. But without fail, when we hire new operators, at least a couple of them will call security and report me.
But one of my favorite stories was back a couple of years ago; I was out at the local university taking pictures of the buses we had serving that area. I was out on the public sidewalk, taking pictures as the bus rolled up to the stop. The operator stopped the bus, opened the door, motioned to me, and when I came over, she said "I don't think you can do that."
"Do what?" I asked.
"I don't think you can just take pictures of the bus."
I really wanted to lecture her, but I just said, "Well, actually, yes, I can and besides, I work for the same company you do, and it's my JOB."
Her response when I told her I worked at the same company: "Wait. Let me do my makeup." :lmao:
 
That's a nice photo, and a great story of the french guy !!

the 20mm is awesome. I nearly bought one but got the 24/2.8 instead and have since sold it due to overlap.
Enjoy your lens .. the 24 I had got me started in taking building photos .... It also started my itch on a wider lens .. now I'm at 18mm on FF
 
Sparky/Sharon, those are some classic stories. I know that they will help me be prepared when I encounter something like this in the future.

Nice photos too Sparky.
 
Nice photographs, 480Sparky. Congrats on the lens.

Interesting story, too, thanks.
 
That is a pretty building. Anyone ever keep track of the architects for the buildings they shoot? i looked up a couple ive done that's it.

Sorry, I don't, but it is a good idea. Some extra work, unless the building is already famous.

As a side note; one of our local architecture professors has written a book with photographs of the county courthouses in Iowa.
 
Ńice test site you have over there. Good pictures, the 20mm seems to be real sharp glass.
I know it's a drag, but befriend two local bikers and always take them with you on the shoot. NO ONE WILL BOTHER YOU. Psychos, self appointed defenders of Western Civilization, wanna be righteous, born to be just malicious and other vigilante (which is all above) have limited courage. I discover that, when my sons where assisting me while shooting on the streets.
 
OK. I can go back to work. I'm all legal now.


PhotoLicensesmall.jpg
 
Okay, that gave me a good laugh. :)

The funny part is: The barcode reads:

"If you've gone to the trouble of decoding this, you'll realize this is a bogus license. I made it up to show people who, for some stupid reason, seem to think taking photographs in public is a crime. It isn't. It's an activity protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution."
 
Okay, that gave me a good laugh. :)

The funny part is: The barcode reads:

"If you've gone to the trouble of decoding this, you'll realize this is a bogus license. I made it up to show people who, for some stupid reason, seem to think taking photographs in public is a crime. It isn't. It's an activity protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution."

I guess it's a good thing most busy bodies don't run around with barcode readers.. lol
 
OK. I can go back to work. I'm all legal now.


PhotoLicensesmall.jpg

Nice one Ken. I bet you could market these to street photogs and make a killing. They send in the picture and vitals and you make them up send them back where they print and laminate them.
 
That's a beautiful building and your photos certainly do it justice. I enjoyed your stories too.
 
That is a pretty building. Anyone ever keep track of the architects for the buildings they shoot? i looked up a couple ive done that's it.

I recently started researching the type of architecture [period\style] of certain buildings I've shot, but i haven't come across many architect names, but it would be interesting to add them too.
 
I hope you're not this big of a ***** pushover:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I need to blow off the dust on my 20mm. It's a good lens IMO. Thanks for the inspiration Sparky.

Diggin' the shots, but my preference is #1.

Your tolerance for the passerby is much greater than mine.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom