What are the wekness points of these photos?(street photography)

Heeey. please help:(

#1 The subject is to dark, I can't see any detail in the faces. The background is ugly too.
#2 The highlights are clipped.
#3 The background is distracting.

#1: I wish there is more hint of interaction between the three of them. It can be a very interesting photo, all of them doing pretty much the same thing yet seemed unrelated. The silhouette works because we really don't need to see the faces. If the body language itself can express the story better, it will be a much stronger piece.

#2: I supposed you were trying to capture a pair of unsuspecting couple hanging out at the beach, but didn't work out. So it didn't work out.

#3: Try using much bigger aperture next time to narrow down the DOF. Not sure what lens you were using, but I'd go to the max to see how it turns out, than dial back if it's too much. The photo's DOF is too much. It's not a landscape photo, you don't need every detail in focus, just the ones you want to emphasize.

#1: I wish there is more hint of interaction between the three of them. It can be a very interesting photo, all of them doing pretty much the same thing yet seemed unrelated. The silhouette works because we really don't need to see the faces. If the body language itself can express the story better, it will be a much stronger piece.

#2: I supposed you were trying to capture a pair of unsuspecting couple hanging out at the beach, but didn't work out. So it didn't work out. about the second, I like it when man was whispering inthe woman's ear but was staring at me rudely. it shows a little disloyalty of him :) but I don't like the composition myself. and about the third one, I edit the light myself and I wanted to make a bright color photo but I didn't care about the BG. thanks for that. yeah!everything should not be in focus:p

#3: Try using much bigger aperture next time to narrow down the DOF. Not sure what lens you were using, but I'd go to the max to see how it turns out, than dial back if it's too much. The photo's DOF is too much. It's not a landscape photo, you don't need every detail in focus, just the ones you want to emphasize.

Thanks so much for the tips. I tried to take some silhouette in the first one but I agree with u. well my very first shots have lots of problems:)
I tried to capture some silhouette shots in the first photo. Thanks for the tips about gestures. I try my best next time. about the second I tried to capture them while man whispering to her and star to me, it shows a kind of disloyalty of him and I liked that:) but I don't like the composition myself. yeah. didn't work! and the third one. I edit the light by aim. I like this light in PS, maybe it's wrong and I shouldn't do that. I agree with u. it wasn't necessary to focus everything. I didn't mention that:p
My camera is canon 500D and my lens is Tamron 18-270 / 1:3.5/6.3 zoom lens

Last edited:
#1 The subject is to dark, I can't see any detail in the faces. The background is ugly too.
#2 The highlights are clipped.
#3 The background is distracting.
dear the first one is kind of sillhuete
what does the highlights are clipped mean? help me.
I agree with u about the third one.
Thanks for the help:)

Since street photography is people photography, the faces and the eyes need to be the strong focal point of the shots and that unfortunately is not the case here.

skieur

Since street photography is people photography, the faces and the eyes need to be the strong focal point of the shots and that unfortunately is not the case here.

skieur

Thanks but can't it be another subjects? or not only focusing on the faces ? is there any difference between candid photography and street photography?

skieur

Thanks but can't it be another subjects? or not only focusing on the faces ? is there any difference between candid photography and street photography?

Well, in the last one, a viewer would say that the interaction between the buyer and the seller is the point of the photo but the shot is not close enough to see what precisely is being sold, what the buyer may be interested in, what the reaction of the seller is, whether they are bargaining, etc. The background is somewhat busy and distracting and yet does not really contribute to the shot in the sense that the viewer does not know whether it is in a park, on a main street, near a beach etc. The old rule with picture elements is that if "it" does not contribute to the image, then it should NOT be in the shot.

skieur

skieur

Well, in the last one, a viewer would say that the interaction between the buyer and the seller is the point of the photo but the shot is not close enough to see what precisely is being sold, what the buyer may be interested in, what the reaction of the seller is, whether they are bargaining, etc. The background is somewhat busy and distracting and yet does not really contribute to the shot in the sense that the viewer does not know whether it is in a park, on a main street, near a beach etc. The old rule with picture elements is that if "it" does not contribute to the image, then it should NOT be in the shot.

skieur

n

Last edited:
Please number your photo and it is better that you post these on a new thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back