What are you reading?

Recently finished How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy, by Jenny Odell. Decent enough, with some local history (she lives in and around Oakland, CA), and lots of good anecdotal stories. Her argument is how to step back from the thousand little things that sap our attention, like social media and excessive work habits in particular - and learn to give yourself down time to do with what you will.

This was written only last year, yet it already has a dated feel to me. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed so much about our lives - a lot of people are learning to do what she's advocating out of sheer circumstances. It's very strange.

Still an interesting read for its own sake.

@Designer
Hi I read the back issues for ideas or to refresh my brain on how to do something, never really looked at the tech/gear
I fine that the back issues are still talking about things I can do with my PSE9 a lot of current issues talk about things I have not got on my old version
As for technology/gear a lot of mine is from the used section of my local ish camera shop
Or I will look up reviews on line for items I am interested in

Just starting "The Quest" by Nelson DeMille. It was first published in 1975, when he was not so well known, this one is a substantial rewrite done by the author in 2014.

I started reading Outlander but then watched the first episode of the TV series, which was pretty dreadful so I stopped.

51PzH+nOj3L._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Recently I've read The Chemistry of Death by Simon Beckett and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Right now I'm reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The written word continues its winding tale in the shape of Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon, Three Stories and an Observation by Patrick Süskind, and a collection of short stories by Roberto Bolaño: German title Cowboygräber (Sepulcros de Vaqueros).

I started reading Outlander but then watched the first episode of the TV series, which was pretty dreadful so I stopped.
Ugh, I got drawn into that series. My wife started it, and then was like, “hey, can we watch this at night together?” Now I’m trapped and hooked waiting for the next season. In a similar fashion to several other fantasy related shows on paid channels, the sex scenes tended to stop after a couple of seasons, meaning there was more room for dialogue and actual substance. LOL

So bored that I read the eight books of the Harry Potter series, then I watched the eight videos TWICE.
The biography of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz.
Now I am reading the Temeraire (dragon) series. I finished #5, and am waiting for #6 to arrive.

This summer inreread some Michael Connelly books and now onto Vince Flynn. I read these years ago but enjoy both authors. They are 'comfort' reads for me..

Almost finished with Noah Boyd's "Agent X".

"Ghost in the Shell" by Shirow Masamune (or Masamune Shirow as he is called in Japan)

By chance, I stumbled into a bunch of videos reviewing and explaining the "Ghost in the Shell" franchise. Being old, and having lived through stuff, my opinions and experiences are sometimes different from those of people who are not. Sometimes, I am interested to find out things I did not know, and sometimes I reflect on things that I remember, and sometimes, I disagree with what some people say or do. The "GitS" franchise was a significant experience for me, but it has become a much bigger franchise, with legitimate differences. So I found more that I disagreed with than usual, but how I "feel" about it is variable -- depends on what I ate for breakfast. . . .

What separates me from the most common views is that I come at it more as a fan of Masamune Shirow's original manga (Japanese comicbook), whereas most of todays fans take their opinion from the Oshii Mamoru's first movie. The first time I saw the original movie, I thought it was ok, but disappointing on a few points. I remember hearing much stronger negative opinions from Shirow fans. If I were to rate that movie today, my opinion has not changed. It is/was a "very good" movie. When I read or hear exalting praise for it, it makes me cringe a bit.

The tone of the whole movie was downbeat and pensively dramatic. The original manga was more balanced, like Shakespeare. Yes it could have somber issues and gritty presentation, but it also had humour and slapstick. His margin notes added philosophical and technical scope, and yes, more humour. From a technical film perspective, I eventually heard that in one particular respect, Oshii had the same opinion that I did. The colour palette and its use were not well done.

I felt that his later "version 2.0" release, with added CGI was much better. Ironically, I ran across opinions that the added CGI in "version 2.0" and the CGI in "Part II, Innocence" was inferior. I would wonder if people like that would trash T S Eliot's poetry because he mixed his styles and genres? I don't have such a limited appreciative scope, and when those people grow older, they might find that they don't either.

Regarding the "2.0" release, the worst moment in that whole movie was still there. There is a short "moment" in a morning scene which was only drawn in outlines, signifying bright light as one wakes up. I didn't like that the first time I saw it, and overall, I think it's just plain lame. It just looks like the artwork was "unfinished".

I'll shorten my thoughts about this stuff by saying that the best animated version of "GitS" was the first season TV show. I found out recently that Shirow did actually consult for that show. The funny thing is that years ago, when it was "new", I was talking to another Shirow fan and we agreed that despite its changes, that TV show was much closer to Shirow's manga, and we were both much more enthusiastic about it. Yet neither of us knew that he had anything to do with it. We just recognized the balance, the details, and generally, the feeling of the show.

Lastly, about the Scarlet Jo movie: I didn't mind that SJ played the Major. I have heard that Shirow did not mind it either. In fact, if you go to real Shirow fans in general they could probably predict that Shirow would not have minded. Why? Well, because in the "Vol 2" manga, the Major takes a few new bodies (yes, plural) and the main body she uses is a red-head with, I think, a deliberately western look. This came long before the movie. The fact is, as a cyborg, she could look like anyone, and in Shirow's books, the world, and specifically Japan, in the future, is much more cosmopolitan.

What I did mind was the "Robocop" re-write of the story line. Whether you come at it as a Shirow fan or an Ohshii fan, either had strong stories, and Shirow in particular, I think was more optimistic, and original. It was like taking a Batman story and changing the names to characters from Hamlet and trying to pass it off as a new version of "Hamlet". Why bother? But I do feel badly that SJ herself became any kind of a target or negative opinions. All things considered, she did fine in the movie, and handled the criticism as well as could be expected.

Anyway, you can file this under books or television or movies. The franchise covers all three. But it started, essentially as a set of magazines and books.

Dr Zhivago, by Boris Pasternak.

Just started to re read/listen to my Terry Pratchet disc World Series books/audio books

Most reactions

Back