What brand ND filter to get?

photosanity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherelainephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright guys... I need to get a 46mm Neutral Density filter for my camera preferably one that lets me have an exposure adjustment of 3 stops (0.9). I've had bad experience with the "more affordable" ones like a $15 Tiffen filter. Any one you would recommend for me to get?? Thanks!

I just ordered some heliopan in 77mm and 67mm. i heard they are excellent

B+W or Hoya.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you have larger lenses, it is a lot cheaper to get a larger filter and some step down rings to match your smaller filter threads. No point in buying a different filter for every lens.

B+W or Hoya.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you have larger lenses, it is a lot cheaper to get a larger filter and some step down rings to match your smaller filter threads. No point in buying a different filter for every lens.

I will be using the nd filter outdoor for portrait and (i might be wrong but )with a step-up ring from 67 to 77mm my lens hood wouldn't have fitted

Personally I wouldn't buy a 43mm ND filter. I would buy square/rectangle ND and Grad ND filters from Lee or Singh-Ray.
Lee Filters USA | Neutral Density Standard Filters
Singh-Ray Filters: More Filters
With square filters at a later date if you want to use it on something besides a 43mm diameter lens you can.

There is also Cokin that makes square filters. Keep in mind then ND filters are not true neutral filters. Some people experience a bit of color shift with the Cokin filters.
Neutral Density (Solid)

B+W or Hoya.

I only have one lens and don't plan on getting others for awhile. I may get the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for it.. but really have no idea when that sucker is coming out lol. I'm waiting though. It is on B&H as not yet available for $800 something, but you can get them on eBay for more. I don't want to spend more than $900 though on it, so I'll wait haha.

I am just worried with it being that cheap that I am going to have the same problem I had with the $15 Tiffen. It had distortion on the edges of the photo as well as loss of saturation in the photo. Granted I know I can fix it in photoshop or lightroom, but I don't want to have to worry about doing that. I guess I could always try it out and return it if it doesn't work out lol.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 43mm ND filter. I would buy square/rectangle ND and Grad ND filters from Lee or Singh-Ray.
With square filters at a later date if you want to use it on something besides a 43mm diameter lens you can.

There is also Cokin that makes square filters. Keep in mind then ND filters are not true neutral filters. Some people experience a bit of color shift with the Cokin filters.
Neutral Density (Solid)

+1 ^^^ The colour shift in the Cokin filters can almost always be controlled by shading the filter from direct sun.

Neutral Density (Solid)

+1 ^^^ The colour shift in the Cokin filters can almost always be controlled by shading the filter from direct sun.

Good to know, hadn't heard that before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back