What brand ND filter to get?

photosanity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherelainephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright guys... I need to get a 46mm Neutral Density filter for my camera preferably one that lets me have an exposure adjustment of 3 stops (0.9). I've had bad experience with the "more affordable" ones like a $15 Tiffen filter. Any one you would recommend for me to get?? Thanks!

I just ordered some heliopan in 77mm and 67mm. i heard they are excellent

B+W or Hoya.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you have larger lenses, it is a lot cheaper to get a larger filter and some step down rings to match your smaller filter threads. No point in buying a different filter for every lens.

B+W or Hoya.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you have larger lenses, it is a lot cheaper to get a larger filter and some step down rings to match your smaller filter threads. No point in buying a different filter for every lens.

I will be using the nd filter outdoor for portrait and (i might be wrong but )with a step-up ring from 67 to 77mm my lens hood wouldn't have fitted

Personally I wouldn't buy a 43mm ND filter. I would buy square/rectangle ND and Grad ND filters from Lee or Singh-Ray.
Lee Filters USA | Neutral Density Standard Filters
Singh-Ray Filters: More Filters
With square filters at a later date if you want to use it on something besides a 43mm diameter lens you can.

There is also Cokin that makes square filters. Keep in mind then ND filters are not true neutral filters. Some people experience a bit of color shift with the Cokin filters.
Neutral Density (Solid)

B+W or Hoya.

I only have one lens and don't plan on getting others for awhile. I may get the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for it.. but really have no idea when that sucker is coming out lol. I'm waiting though. It is on B&H as not yet available for $800 something, but you can get them on eBay for more. I don't want to spend more than $900 though on it, so I'll wait haha.

I am just worried with it being that cheap that I am going to have the same problem I had with the $15 Tiffen. It had distortion on the edges of the photo as well as loss of saturation in the photo. Granted I know I can fix it in photoshop or lightroom, but I don't want to have to worry about doing that. I guess I could always try it out and return it if it doesn't work out lol.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 43mm ND filter. I would buy square/rectangle ND and Grad ND filters from Lee or Singh-Ray.
With square filters at a later date if you want to use it on something besides a 43mm diameter lens you can.

There is also Cokin that makes square filters. Keep in mind then ND filters are not true neutral filters. Some people experience a bit of color shift with the Cokin filters.
Neutral Density (Solid)

+1 ^^^ The colour shift in the Cokin filters can almost always be controlled by shading the filter from direct sun.

Neutral Density (Solid)

+1 ^^^ The colour shift in the Cokin filters can almost always be controlled by shading the filter from direct sun.

Good to know, hadn't heard that before.

Most reactions

Back