What camera? $7000.

Well i really feel that it depends on the desired outcome. If your doing professional studio work, you will get better results with a nice camera. But if your doing creative work you are probably just as good with a disposable camera

Easy, sell everything I've got and add a few thousand to the mix.

THAN, I'd get:

2 D300's
D40 kit
17-55 f/2.8
80-200 f/2.8 AF-S
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.4
1 SB-800, at least 5 SB-600's, light stands, umbrellas.

The rest would be spent on business cards.

The best answer I heard all day. Am man after my own heart.

If Sony plays their cards right, the "big two" will become the "big three."

:lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::smileys::smileys::smileys::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao:​

Now that has to be the funniest thing I have heard all day. Man!!! I have tears in my eyes and my sides hurt I laughed so hard.​

Oh yes I am aware Sony currently makes sensors for certain Nikon cameras which changes nothing in my opinion. It is the entire system that matters glass included and don't try the "Sony uses Zeiss glass" on me the put a sticker on their lenses that Zeiss tells them they can use.​

The best answer I heard all day. Am man after my own heart.
lol, only if I had $7000 and learned how to sell myself! :lmao:

Please point out where you found that information, JIP (in regards to Zeiss). You seem so sure about it.

You won't see Panasonic branded lenses on Leica's website but Zeiss has the full catalog of "Zeiss" lenses specified as "for Sony" on theirs. I know it isn't definitive but I'm just wondering... Is the Sony/Zeiss line more like Sigma (by Sigma for X) or more like branding re-stick?

I own a couple ZM lenses and their build quality is pretty obvious (nice). I'd like to see a Zeiss/Sony lens in person just to see if the build quality is up to the same standards. I have also seen a Zeiss ZK lenses "for Pentax" and I can tell you that it isn't made by Pentax and neither is the ZF for nikon stuff. Two examples that show business decisions/behavior that are counter to your statements.

Btw.... The word is that Leica provided the design for Panasonic's lenses but the glass is actually manufactured elsewhere. Just clearing that up before you head in that direction.....

Btw2... I also know that Zeiss leverages Cosina for manufacturing of several product lines... Zeiss design but manufactured elsewhere... Just clearing that up too for the expert in you.

Btw3... I also know that Cosina isn't a name known for high photographic quality but their glass manufacturing is one of the largest in the world. Rumored the manufacturer of glass elements used by several photographic companies including the big ones. just clearing up that too....

:lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::smileys::smileys::smileys::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao:​

Now that has to be the funniest thing I have heard all day. Man!!! I have tears in my eyes and my sides hurt I laughed so hard.​

Oh yes I am aware Sony currently makes sensors for certain Nikon cameras which changes nothing in my opinion. It is the entire system that matters glass included and don't try the "Sony uses Zeiss glass" on me the put a sticker on their lenses that Zeiss tells them they can use.​

Your lack of understanding of history is painfully obvious.

I have my lens kit pretty much set... so I would probably buy a 1DsMark3... that way my interfaces would be the same... and send my 5D in for Enhanced IR at Lifepixel....

THAN, I'd get:

2 D300's
D40 kit
17-55 f/2.8
80-200 f/2.8 AF-S
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.4
1 SB-800, at least 5 SB-600's, light stands, umbrellas.

The rest would be spent on business cards.

And now the Canon Equivalent (almost):

40D Body
5x 2gb CF Cards
Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II
Canon 50 f/1.4
Canon 85 f/1.8
Canon 17-55 f/2.8
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS
Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS
2x Canon 580EX II
Bogen/Manfrotto Monopod, 10kg support
Bogen/Manfrotto Swivel Tilt whatever head

:D

Are you kidding???? the whole economy of the US is based on "wants" over needs. If we made all our purchase based on things we "need" there would hardly be a DSLR out there let alone flat screen TV's or surround sound stereo SUVs etc. etc. etc.....

Very true that life is short, so why worry about it? But the view of the people in the house are restricted by the wall that surrounding them. But if you read these two short articles in these below links it will remedy the situation a bit. I will copy small part from the first link to highlight the content.

You know that the US government have been using the small economic aid to smaller and weak countries, and they demand change of their policies after giving it? It is very ruthless method to my eyes really. But it seem they are mute against these elephants, or at least one who is holding such huge American treasury bonds.

This past August, two Chinese government officials highlighted China’s massive U.S. dollar holdings (which include treasuries) and how it supports the value of the U.S. currency. They also noted that Beijing could use those holdings as a political weapon to counter congressional calls to revalue the yuan and impose trade sanctions on Chinese goods. Chinese state media referred to the country’s stockpile of U.S. dollars as its economic “nuclear option,” capable of destroying the dollar at will.

Beijing also clearly signaled that it would begin “diversifying” out of the dollar earlier this year when it announced plans to rebalance its $1.34 trillion currency reserves, which are mostly U.S. bonds. Already Beijing has created a $300 billion investment fund to use those dollars to purchase other assets in an attempt to increase its investment returns.

http://english.pravda.ru/business/finance/10-09-2007/96909-us_economy-0

http://housingpanic.blogspot.com/2008/01/psst-ya-got-400000-cause-thats-what.html

I wonder if he knows that Sony built the sensor that's in his camera.
Exactly.

You asked us the question and I answered. You had very few rules so I don't see why Sony doesn't count. Canon does many electronics too but not as much into everything else like Sony.

People develop in different ways as do companies. Some get faster and higher than others. I agree that if Sony plays carefully, there'll be a, "Big Three".

And to those of you bashing the A100, there were many mistakes in that camera but it was one of the best selling dSLR's in 2006. And I know many people who were happy with their A100's. And if they weren't, that's why there's an A200 now. :) Companies (and people) make mistakes.

My goodness, for that price you can barely get a Leica M8 and a decent lens. I like the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit, or the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux.

Yup, I would certainly consider that. :)

skieur

I'd get....

Sony Alpha A700 Body $1300 = $1300
50mm f/1.4 $300 = $1600
28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle $250 = $1850
50mm f/2.8 Macro $400 = $2250
HVL56AM Flash $300 = $2550
2 HVL36AM $325 = $2875
HVLRLAM Macro Ringlight $250 = $3025
2 SanDisk 8GB Extreme III Memory $200 = $3225

And I'd put the rest ($3000-$4000) in a bank to save for the new Sony Full frame model because I'd have all the accessories and two backup bodies.

Rather a strange choice of lenses. Why 2 50mm lenses and why primes versus zooms that are just as good quality?

The 18mm to 50mm 2.8 zoom would cover all 3 of your lens choices and provide a better macro lens and portrait lens at 75mm (35mm equivalent) on top.

skieur

So if some one that is an accomplished photographer is given a $400 d40 and a $40,000 Hasselblad, the pictures from the Hasselblad wouldn't turn out better?

Depend on the need.

If I only print post card size prints, or even A4 size paper prints than there is no justification to use 20 MP or more camera. But if I am doing it for the diverse customers who pay me and who are calling for wedding for one day and another day want printing 2 x 4 meters size ads along the main road - than yes I will spent for camera/cameras that are capable to handle all situation. Spending it like this become necessity.
I need a longer lens than what I have now, which I am going to buy sooner or later because many missed shots. To me it is fall into necessity category, not because I must have it.

Rather a strange choice of lenses. Why 2 50mm lenses and why primes versus zooms that are just as good quality?

The 18mm to 50mm 2.8 zoom would cover all 3 of your lens choices and provide a better macro lens and portrait lens at 75mm (35mm equivalent) on top.

skieur

"Why 2 50mm lenses..."
One of his 50mm lenses is a macro. The other opens to f/1.4.

"...why primes versus zooms that are just as good quality?"
There is no such thing. Zooms are a compromise. Quality is sacrificed to obtain versatility.

"The 18mm to 50mm 2.8 zoom would cover all 3 of your lens choices and provide a better macro lens and portrait lens at 75mm (35mm equivalent) on top."
No. First, it doesn't open up wide enough to replace the f/1.4 40mm lens and second, it won't provide the IQ of any the primes.

Thank you Socrates! :)

skieur

I have the kit lens too, but from a few pictures, I wouldn't say it's the best quality because I have seen a lot of CA in my photos. I do understand your point but I see no reason why to have just one lens that does two things than two lenses that specialize in two different areas. It kind of contradicts my belief in Sony but my choice is my choice.
Would you hire a landscaper to mow your lawn and clean your house or a maid to just take care of the cleaning? (I know horrible metaphor)(I don't have a maid or landscaper just to let you guys know)

And if that zoom lens were to become incapable to use, then I'd lose "two" lenses by losing one. But I can understand why you don't think it's not a well thought out plan.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back