What Camera to For a Newbie

SpenserEller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a a Canon Power Shot SX60HS. Over the last couple of years, I've started to getting into photography more and I feel like I'm starting to test the limits of my camera and I'm looking to upgrade. I've been doing research on DSLR's and mirrorless cameras and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the options and I would appreciate some guidance. What camera and lense(s) should I look into for landscapes and wildlife photography?

I don't have a problem with purchasing used gear. In fact, I would prefer to purchase a camera that was top-of-the-line 2 to 5 years ago rather than a new entry level camera. I would like to keep the purchase around $2,000, but I could push it to around $3,000.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of wildlife photography are we talking about? Small birds, large animals, birds in flight, etc? Makes a difference on what camera and lens you need. Also is size or weight of any concern?

As Brent mentioned ... wildlife photography, tends to mean very expensive long focal length lenses; most often costing more than the camera body.

What kind of wildlife photography are we talking about? Small birds, large animals, birds in flight, etc? Makes a difference on what camera and lens you need. Also is size or weight of any concern?
Thank you for the response. I like to take pictures of wide variety of animals such as deer, turkey's, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, etc. really whatever I'm able to see while I'm out hiking. I will be taking the camera on backpacking trips, so I would prefer something that I'm able to carry in my pack, but weight isn't really my main concern.

Hmm, reading gear stuff on this forum I feel that current Digital SLR cameras are all quiet capable of producing good photos ... even if they are the low/cheapest models.

... though I will have to state that I went through numerous cameras and lenses over many years to get the camera at this moment that I want.

Thank you for the response. I like to take pictures of wide variety of animals such as deer, turkey's, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, etc. really whatever I'm able to see while I'm out hiking. I will be taking the camera on backpacking trips, so I would prefer something that I'm able to carry in my pack, but weight isn't really my main concern.

Well I can recommend an Olympus EM5mkii with the 12-100mm f4 IS Pro and PL 100-300mm OIS II. This will be a small lightweight setup that would cover all your bases. For around $2000-2300 you get a weather sealed camera and lens, And probably the best superzooms in the 12-100mm (eq. 24-200mm) that covers a huge range and sharp end to end with excellent IQ and a very nice long zoom that eq. 200-600mm. The Image stability is excellent.

Someone else can recommend DSLR's for you.

Hmm, reading gear stuff on this forum I feel that current Digital SLR cameras are all quiet capable of producing good photos ... even if they are the low/cheapest models.

... though I will have to state that I went through numerous cameras and lenses over many years to get the camera at this moment that I want.
I'm sure the lower end DSLR's could take a much better picture than I'm capable of, but I would prefer to buy something nicer that I could use for a while and not have to upgrade. What heave you found that works for you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well I can recommend an Olympus EM5mkii with the 12-100mm f4 IS Pro and PL 100-300mm OIS II. This will be a small lightweight setup that would cover all your bases. For around $2000-2300 you get a weather sealed camera and lens, And probably the best superzooms in the 12-100mm (eq. 24-200mm) that covers a huge range and sharp end to end with excellent IQ and a very nice long zoom that eq. 200-600mm. The Image stability is excellent.

Someone else can recommend DSLR's for you.
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll definitely put that one on my list. After some quick research, it seems that most reviews of that camera are very positive.

Wildlife and Landscape are two very different kind of requirement from the equipment standpoint.

Landscape mostly required wide angle lenses and low light performance AF or FPS is not a deciding criteria for the body as your subject does not go anywhere, most landscape photographers also prefer to use ND, polarizing and GND filters. On the other side wildlife requires large and bulky telephotos coupled with a body that has a lightning fast AF and good FPS, you also need good low light performance as most of the time you work with very high shutter speed so you have to boost the ISO.

Wildlife and Landscape are two very different kind of requirement from the equipment standpoint.

Landscape mostly required wide angle lenses and low light performance AF or FPS is not a deciding criteria for the body as your subject does not go anywhere, most landscape photographers also prefer to use ND, polarizing and GND filters. On the other side wildlife requires large and bulky telephotos coupled with a body that has a lightning fast AF and good FPS, you also need good low light performance as most of the time you work with very high shutter speed so you have to boost the ISO.
Thank you for the reply. I am aware that the two types of photography have different requirements. I guess my main interest is wildlife, however I still like to take the occasional sunset photograph. Is there a camera-lens combination that would offer a good compromise?

I will suggest Nikon D750 + Nikon 200-500 + Nikon 18-35mm....I guess it should be around your budget.

Personally, for wildlife, I would look for a used D800 or 800/E. Then pickup a used Tamron 150-600 or Nikkor 200-500. Should fall within your budget. Might check out Roberts camera on eBay. They have a great reputation and return policy. They are also a little cheaper than the common bigger stores.

I would stay away from the D750, great camera but to many issues.

I'd go for a used Nikon D800 or D800e around $900 or so. Plenty of these around. I bought a D800 used for $798 on a really good deal, 38,000 clicks on it. LOT of crop-in capability, great files, easy-to-use camera, battery life is exceptionally good. I agree with JC above: the 200-500 Nikkor, or the Tamron 150-600 for a lens.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to have to do some research on the D800.

I agree with the others, Canon will have better "IQ" image quality and a wider selection of lens ... and better and cheaper lens .... and take a good look at that 150 - 600 lens .. (for wildlife)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back