What camera to purchase for both still and video

Knitnr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m getting ready to launch a knitting blog and occasionally would like to post a video when a visual would provide a better platform for individuals to learn from than just the written word. Also, I want to insert still photos into written instructions. When I go mousing around trying to find information on cameras that provide both video and still photography and would be good for this task, as well as not terribly spendy, I get completely overwhelmed. Can you provide any suggestions?

Also, when one is shooting their hands doing a procedure, how do you attach the camera to yourself to do this? Also it would probably be good if the camera had a built-in mic or had a way to attach a portable mic so I could incorporate voice with the video. You can tell I’m a complete neophyte, but I’m looking forward to learning.

Do you have a budget amount a little more than "not spendy?" Almost all modern cameras will handle both video and stills. Offhand, I'd think a point-and-shoot (P&S) from one of the better kn own companies (Nikon, Sony, Canon, Fujifilm, etc) should be just fine. Pick up an inexpensive lightweight tripod as well.

Shoot over the shoulder, but with the camera mounted firmly on a tripod, or a boom arm, so the camera is STEADY. One does not want the camera mounted to one's body...on a precision-movement type activity like fly tying, or crochet or knitting, or sewing, it is imperative that the camera remain rock-steady, so that the viewers can SEE what is being done, and from a consistent vantage point. Also, make sure that on close-in shots, that movements are done slowly. When looking at video images, or motion picture images, it's an old rule of cinematography to move the camera slooooooooooooowly. This is one basic camera operator rule that maybe 75% of YouTube videographers are unfamiliar with.

Panasonic makes some nice cameras that shoot stills and videos. And do great stills, in the m/3 format.

The small-sensor video options, like a digital point & shoot cameras are actually workable workable.

Get a decent light source, and some diffusing material for it, or a nice and BRIGHT continuous light with some type of diffusing material.

Do you have a budget amount a little more than "not spendy?" Almost all modern cameras will handle both video and stills. Offhand, I'd think a point-and-shoot (P&S) from one of the better kn own companies (Nikon, Sony, Canon, Fujifilm, etc) should be just fine. Pick up an inexpensive lightweight tripod as well.
Thank you for your reply. I'm willing to spend what it takes to get good results without going to the top of the line. Being a beginner I probably need to be a bit cautious and get all the information I can gather before I take the plunge. Again, thank you.

Shoot over the shoulder, but with the camera mounted firmly on a tripod, or a boom arm, so the camera is STEADY. One does not want the camera mounted to one's body...on a precision-movement type activity like fly tying, or crochet or knitting, or sewing, it is imperative that the camera remain rock-steady, so that the viewers can SEE what is being done, and from a consistent vantage point. Also, make sure that on close-in shots, that movements are done slowly. When looking at video images, or motion picture images, it's an old rule of cinematography to move the camera slooooooooooooowly. This is one basic camera operator rule that maybe 75% of YouTube videographers are unfamiliar with.

Panasonic makes some nice cameras that shoot stills and videos. And do great stills, in the m/3 format.

The small-sensor video options, like a digital point & shoot cameras are actually workable workable.

Get a decent light source, and some diffusing material for it, or a nice and BRIGHT continuous light with some type of diffusing material.
Thank you so much for the information. All of this information is REALLY helpful for a newbie like me and much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back