what camera would you recommend?

chloewindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My camera had unfortunately broken and far to expensive to repair, sad times. I shoot horses, not like that has anything to do with the camera lol. Must be in the price range of £400- below. Will stretch a bit more for the right camera.

Do you currently own any lenses ?

forgot to mention must be nikon.

i own the standard 18-55 kit lens and 70-300

hoping to get 70-200 for my birthday :)

forgot to mention must be nikon.

i own the standard 18-55 kit lens and 70-300

hoping to get 70-200 for my birthday :)

Well as it just so happens I've got a D5100 for sale if you think that might suit your needs - I was offering it for sale with the Kit lens but if you don't need it I can keep the kit lens and reduce my asking price and sell it body only. If your interested send me a PM.

I was looking at the D7000, any opinions on that?

My camera had unfortunately broken and far to expensive to repair, sad times. I shoot horses, not like that has anything to do with the camera lol. Must be in the price range of £400- below. Will stretch a bit more for the right camera.

I've got a D7000 that I currently shoot with and am very happy with (no, I'm not selling it). One of the things that would be a big plus to you is the ability to really push the ISO. Also, it gives you the options of setting a couple of standard settings. You could have one for outdoors shooting moving targets under a gray sky, the other for shooting inside stables with artificial light and relatively stable (no pun intended) targets. You might be pushed a bit to buy a new D7000 for 400 pounds--might be possible if all you're buying is the body.

Regarding lens options...considering you've got a kit and a 300mm zoom (which I assume is not fast), I'd like to suggest you look at the 35mm f1.8 DX lens. It will allow you to shoot in low light situations (like a barn) and to get into a stall and capture the entire horse. It's light, remarkably hardy and reliable, has some chromatic aberration issues at the extremes but is otherwise a great fit for shooting inside barns or stables. Plus it's small and light--could easily fit in a pocket if you've got the 300mm cannon on your body or attached to the body you'll feel like there is no lens there it's that small and light. Also pretty inexpensive. Part of the reason I suggest that over the 70-200mm is that you've probably got two relatively slow lens right now, neither of which is good for inside ambient light. The 35mm f1.8 will give you some fast glass. And then you can save up your moolah to get a 200mm f2.8 professional caliber zoom. Then when you get outside or are watching a race or competition at an indoor venue, you'll be able to shoot at a good shutter speed.

The D7000 is a very good camera overall, just make sure that when you purchase one you inquire with the seller and ask if it's ever had any autofocusing problems. Some of the early models had problems with the autofocus, but as long as you get one that's been refurbished or purchase one of the later models I think you'd be very happy with it.

The D7000 is a very good camera overall, just make sure that when you purchase one you inquire with the seller and ask if it's ever had any autofocusing problems. Some of the early models had problems with the autofocus, but as long as you get one that's been refurbished or purchase one of the later models I think you'd be very happy with it.
I think either the D5100 or D7000 will be good choices, I am also a bit hesitent with the D7000.
I had a Nikon D7000 and had back focusing issue that was never resolved, Nikon service centre tried their magic but it was never fully resolved till I gave up and goe the Nikon D7100-now I am happy :)
My camera was not an early model it was purchased on late 2012 only few months before the D7100 came out.

I like the D7100 a lot, and can't image the 7000 being very far behind it. I THINK it's weather sealed and has a magnesium frame, which are both big time selling points for me. I don't own a 7100... yet. Maybe next week (or sometime this month) that will change. So that being said, sure, I'll add to the GET A 7000 crowd.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back