what can i do to make my portraits better?

MHB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been working hardest on portraiture lately. I really like the look that alot of senior portrait photographers have nowadays but cant figure out how to get those kinds of results. Probably because I know my way around the camera more than I do the editing software. Heres two I shot the other day. What else do you think they need?

PS-I shoot a Nikon D3100 and 50mm 1.8g.

$photo1.jpg
$photo2.jpg

I think they need supplemental lighting (reflected or strobe) to help separate the subjects from the background, which provides what is often called 'pop'.

A basic tenet of the visual arts is that "light advances, dark recedes", which is based on human perception. Humans tend to give more attention to the brighter parts of an image, be it a photograph or a painting. Having the background darker (receded from) than your subjects emphasizes them by advancing their visual weight in the image frame.

Watch the backgrounds. The tree they are leaning against is somewhat distracting, as are the diagonal branches in the more distant background.
Strobist: Lighting 101
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter)
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Step-by-Step Posing for Portrait Photography: Simple Lessons for Quick Learning and Reference
Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A photo is good or not at the moment it's captured. Software enhances, but it doesn't make the image. In fact, in portraiture the photo is usually 90 to 95% finished in camera. In portraits, we retouch because people desire perfect skin and the best look of themselves, and every image is processed somehow anyway, but technically the elements and light are 90 to 95% there at the time of capture. What portrait photographers do is apply understanding of light and photography to people. That means posing techniques (yes, it's actually an art in itself), and understanding light -- natural and artificial. Your pose in #1 isn't bad but there's no quality of light -- none -- and the bright background is distracting. These issues can be solved with an understanding of light and controlling the background. Kelbytraining.com is one place to learn more about portraits.

WHite balance/color tint in the first shot makes the woman's teeth appear somewhat yellower than in the second shot, so that is an issue to address. KmH and hirejn gave good advice...it might sound harsh, but it's spot-on. The idea that a portrait is 90 to 95% complete in-camera is something many,many more people need to consider.

EDITED TO REMOVE COMMENTS

I generally would not comment on a thread where the OP wants advice and help but doesn't allow editing.
This is a visual art.

Last edited:
As already stated- white balance is something you need to teach your eyes to pick up on a little more. Cropping is too tight on both images, even more so on the female by herself, get more negative space above her head and on the sides. Also, as already stated the arm folding is distracting when she is facing directly at the camera- try again with a rotation if the hips.
Third- strobes (preferably off camera) and reflectors will help with the shadows and front tonal values.

Also, look into picking up a circular polarizer filter to help eliminate the glare from their glasses. Keep in mind you may loose several stops of light so you will need to adjust the strength of your key lights.

They look nice. Maybe get your subject a bit further from the background and maybe lighten the skin either with a flash, reflector or in post processing a bit. Other than that, you're on the right track.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back