What could you have shot but wouldn't?

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My little guy had to spend a few days in the hospital (he's fine now). Obviously there are some powerful emotions going on here. The potential for good shots was there. However I obviously wasn't going to sit in the room banging away with my camera. It's not that I wish I had, I'm just curious as to what has stopped you guys from shooting something that might have yielded results? What makes something inappropriate? Some of the most memorable photos involve traumatic moments. Does motive play a part? Is it exploitation, or is it an important service? Is the suffering of others photojournalism and the suffering we feel private? Where do you draw the line? I didn't post this to criticize anyone's work, just to start a conversation.
Jason

I have taken pictures and not turned them in! Useualy if I have a camera with me I will take pictures. But this happend to be a house fire. I saw the smoke and drove towards it. I was only a photographer for the local college paper, but I put things on the wire all the time through the local city paper.

Anyway I stopped by, threw on my small press ID and started taking pictures of the fire. House was fully engulfed in flames. Then I caught the owners obviously in agony. And I started moving back to get the shot just right. A police officer actually stopped traffic so I could stand in the middle of the street to get a picture or two.

I was there long enough to take 2 rolls of film. I left feeling that wow what great shots. Definately going to sell a couple on this one. Well I went straight to the darkroom and developed the film. After looking at one print with the owners, I got a sudden case of guilt. Just the agony on their faces. I kept the prints that I did make and filed away the negatives. But I could not sell the pictures. Not too long ago I saw one of the fire prints. Looked at it and thought, yup did the right thing.

None of the papers had a picture of it. So nobody went to take pics or didnt get there in time. I am sure I could have sold some of the shots. Whole time I was thinking $120 front pager (per paper that picks it up). Guilt got to me big time.

I have also missed quite a few opportunities by not having a camera with me. :er:

Photography is an exploration. Not a service. We explore emotions and feelings and convey them. Suffering on both sides of the lens is certainly part of it. Wether you want to convey that or not is up to you.

Drawing the line in photography is a bad idea. If you think it needs to be photographed then shoot it. Nothing is inappropriate if you approach the subject with respect.

Love & Bass

Photography is an exploration. Not a service.
Love & Bass
Don't you think photojournalists provide a service to society? They tell a visual story about places and events most people wouldn't know about otherwise.

There are times when I will stop shooting at a zoo -- especially on darker days when flash is often a great aid I will try to limit how many times I flash at a single subject - see they ain't got bugeye sunshades like celebraties do ;)

Aside from that there are other dark areas with wildlife where flash is needed to get the shot and I will choose not to fire. Its very much based on taking each situation as it comes and remembering that me and my camera are not all that is important.
Besides sometimes its worth it just to put the camera down (or look through the viewfinder) and just watch something rather than take a shot - it distracts you as you thing about framing, settings, exposure, lighting - oh wait the sight just left.

There are times when I will stop shooting at a zoo -- especially on darker days when flash is often a great aid I will try to limit how many times I flash at a single subject - see they ain't got bugeye sunshades like celebraties do ;)
I did a night safari in Singapore and there was no flash photography at all. No tripod, no dice.

I think they would have quickly stopped you from taking photos in a hospital. The patients have a right to privacy. I don't know about the hospital you were in, but the ones here don't allow you to take any photo, even of loved ones, without clearance.

I dont shoot when I am doing something with my children. Sometimes we go someplace so I can take photos. But if it is an outing for them, I leave my big camera at home and bring my P&S. I dont want to miss their childhood by standing behind a camera trying to document it. Not a subject I avoid, but rather a situation.

I think they would have quickly stopped you from taking photos in a hospital. The patients have a right to privacy. I don't know about the hospital you were in, but the ones here don't allow you to take any photo, even of loved ones, without clearance.

I dont shoot when I am doing something with my children. Sometimes we go someplace so I can take photos. But if it is an outing for them, I leave my big camera at home and bring my P&S. I dont want to miss their childhood by standing behind a camera trying to document it. Not a subject I avoid, but rather a situation.

I agree, in a hospital you would be over the line. At the hospital I work at you would most certainly be asked to stop or leave if taking pictures of people, and it is against the law to photograph patients without written consent. With permission you could however photograph things like our lifeflight helicopter.

I dont think there is a single thing I would not shoot or post. I would even shoot funerals if asked, well I might not have to be asked.

No restrictions here.

Hospital shots. No one wants to remember a hospital stay and most patients look terrible in any hospital shot.

skieur

Funerals. NEVER.

Take the pictures when they are alive and take LOTS of them... not after they are gone.

Last edited:
Funerals. NEVER.

Take the pictures when they are alive and take LOTS of them... not after they are gone.

It sounds weird but I have heard of people wanting the funeral documented. Not so much the dead person, but the people at the funeral.

It sounds weird but I have heard of people wanting the funeral documented. Not so much the dead person, but the people at the funeral.

I know, and I've been asked to do just that three times, I have adamantly refused each time. Let them use a damn P&S to document their day. :thumbdown:

I understand that funerals are often times when people that usually never get together, do... but again, if it is so important to take pictures of people you rarely see, go pack a bag and see them on a good note, not take pics of them during a sad time when they are grieving.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back