What did you learn in 2013?

Well say what you will about Henry the VIII, but you have to admit, the boy had game.. rotfl

Oh I adore him! He's one of the most fascinating historical figures. Who couldn't love a vain, misogynistic, self-absorbed, self-serving, impulsive, neurotic tyrant?

And his daughters were equally fascinating: "Bloody Mary" and "The Virgin Queen."

What I learned:

Portraiture
Advanced lighting techniques
Women have orgasms
Long exposure techniques
Off camera flash trickery

The thing about women is a myth dude.

You just haven't met the right partner yet...

Anyhow, I could write a book on the things I've learned in 2013…Photography related.

Learned nothing , as a matter fact I might have forgotten more than a few ;)

I would say that I learned that Lightroom is one of the best photographic software applications to have. Photoshop is nice, yes, but Lightoom offers efficiency and a better interface, and a faster workflow for me.

I'd say I learned that I LIKE using parabolic reflectors and grids and diffusers as KEY lights, more so than I thought I would. I'd been using umbrellas and softboxes as main lights for a long time, and have recently been learning how to light using smaller sources, which work very differently than umbrellas and softboxes.

I think in 2013 I also expanded my horizons a good deal with respect to being able to branch out into more-processed "looks", and more varied "looks". For a long,long time I have strived for what I call "a quiet eye", meaning a very natural, calm, non-exaggerated, non-theatrical "look" in almost all of my photos. I would say that the year 2013 was the year where I decided, proactively, that I would start a process of reinventing my processing approaches to be more open to different "looks", even if they might be construed as hip, trendy, or over the top by people like say d.gypsum, or whoever.

I think in 2013 I also finally learned the lesson that I shoot BETTER with LESS. I've spent years learning this lesson. I'm very fortunate that I've been able to have been in the photo game for a long time, and have had the opportunity to slowly acquire a lot of nice glass over the decades, to get to a point where I have almost anything specific that I might want, or need. But I've learned that carrying LESS means shooting BETTER, at least for me.

This year was very chaotic for me and believe me I really don't know what I learned this year, I mean, the last year, photographically speaking. I was on a pause for quite some time during that period. I haven't answered this question when you started the thread because I was thinking about what would my answer be, but I didn't come up with anything.

I would like to start 365 project but I'm not sure if I'm able to do that, I think I couldn't. Maybe some day, because it's a great thing.

This year was very chaotic for me and believe me I really don't know what I learned this year, I mean, the last year, photographically speaking. I was on a pause for quite some time during that period. I haven't answered this question when you started the thread because I was thinking about what would my answer be, but I didn't come up with anything.

I would like to start 365 project but I'm not sure if I'm able to do that, I think I couldn't. Maybe some day, because it's a great thing.

.....why not a 365,mmmmmmmmaria?That was one of my mini-goals this year.Almost forgot about it yesterday.About 10:30 last night I remembered.Took a pic of an apple on the table.Meh....not much more than a humble beginning....

What I learned:

Portraiture
Advanced lighting techniques
Women have orgasms
Long exposure techniques
Off camera flash trickery

We as men, have nothing to do with this AT ALL..... :greenpbl:

As far as 'the-photo-graphy', I have learned a tremendous amount. I learned how to shoot in Manual, consistently, not perfectly but I get it in 3 shots or less most of the time. I learned that the picture I take is not always what people see when I am done with it. Look at a visual setting and see what it could look like more or less. Which leads to Lightroom, I had no idea how fun that program would be when I bought it. I also learned that as a portrait photawg, I would starve.....lol. ....which leads to 2014. Moving forward I want to show substantial improvement in that area this year. My focus is on anything nature related but I would love to be able to shoot at at least a high level ameture quality.

I relate the majority of my improvement to TPF, I am glad I found this site and enjoy the random banter and educational discussions as well. Happy new year.

.....why not a 365,mmmmmmmmaria?That was one of my mini-goals this year.Almost forgot about it yesterday.About 10:30 last night I remembered.Took a pic of an apple on the table.Meh....not much more than a humble beginning....

That was the cause of many of my filler pictures in the first month. I kept forgetting because I wasn't yet in the habit. It happened maybe 2-3 times again over the course of the year, but overall, the habit got a LOT stronger the longer into the project I got. All day yesterday, I was vaguely anxious and kept thinking that I had forgotten to pay a bill or lost something, but then I realized it was because I was done with the project and didn't have to post a picture. It felt weird :)

I love reading about everyone's accomplishments! It's really inspiring :cheers:

Last edited:

Because I'm not sure I would be able to get a decent capture per day. That would be a big responsibility.

who's to judge whats decent?Besides, even an indecent exposure (forgive me,lord),is better than none.<----thats something i learned in 2013

who's to judge whats decent?Besides, even an indecent exposure (forgive me,lord),is better than none.<----thats something i learned in 2013

lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back