what do I get in a D80 over ....

Most importantly with the D80, you get a MUCH better autofocus system (the 11 point system is FAR superior to the 3 focus points even if you only just use one focus spot... you can move it around a lot more) and a vastly superior image processor... You also get a built in commander mode for so that you can use the nikon flash system to remotely fire several flashes, you get depth of field preview (which is IMHO essential for any serious photography work), you get a more robust shutter, you get the ability to use FP flash mode (basically use flash at high shutter speed... a big advantage the D80 has over the D40x... surprisingly, the simple D40 is better than both with its native 1/500th of a second flash sync speed), and you get a top LCD so you don't have to just rely on the back LCD for your camera info. The histogram is better too.

The D80 is a wonderful camera. The kit lens (18-55mm) is okay and a good start. Better lenses are to be had. When you decide to increase your arsenal look at photozone.de for reviews.

The D80 is a wonderful camera. The kit lens (18-55mm) is okay and a good start. Better lenses are to be had. When you decide to increase your arsenal look at photozone.de for reviews.

I was actually curious about the lenses they say come in the pack...The body ( D80 ) is $850-$900 or there abouts, and then a body and two lense kit is only $1200. I don't know much about photography lenses, but I do know about rifle scopes, and I won't buy a scope for less than $500. The better scopes preform much better under certain conditions important to a hunter, and I imagine camera lenses would be the same. Bottom line though, for a professional entry level kit...$850 camera with two lenses for a total or $1200 still seems to be good to get started on a serious level and much better than my current Kodak prosumer.

I would just get the body + one kit lens. With the money you save, decide what lens you need. I'd hate for you to spend all that money then have one of the lenses go unused. Get what I mean?

Most reactions

Back