What's new

What do you guys think??

Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
62
Reaction score
15
Location
Missouri
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$8182_450417965037339_1510724203_n.webp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...48818567.38927.116450425100763&type=1&theater

My first 'extreme' edit. I usually keep my photos really basic, right out of my camera. I personally LOVE this. But I'm curious as to what others think. :) I wasn't sure how big the picture would turn out so I also put a link :) Feedback please!
 
The background is kind of distracting.
 
Sorry, but the background is too bright plus the photo doesn't feel sharp.
 
I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.
 
I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.

That's what I was going for!
 
NO FAIR, you can't say "that's what I was going for" after he says thats what you were going for!!! :lmao:

I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.

That's what I was going for!
 
NO FAIR, you can't say "that's what I was going for" after he says thats what you were going for!!! :lmao:

I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.

That's what I was going for!

Why? It was what I was going for. He just pointed it out:)
 
I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.

That's what I was going for!

WHY? Do you like OOF overly yellow images that do not show either the subject or your photography at their best?
 
There are a number of things that I do not find appealing about this image.

1. The subject should be on the left hand side of the frame if you're going to rock the horizontal portrait.

2. The edit is really jarring. There's no semblance of remotely accurate color anywhere. It's just yellow... And not just slightly tinted yellow; it's seriously over the top yellow.

3. The background doesn't work at all. Too distracting. Along with the intersecting lines towards her head.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I can't figure out why you would like this type of processing.
 
There are a number of things that I do not find appealing about this image.

1. The subject should be on the left hand side of the frame if you're going to rock the horizontal portrait...
QUOTE]

Does it make you feel uncomfortable? What is your reasoning for that? I have read several things that oppose this sort of thinking. Mainly that most of us think right to left and anything else is subconsciencly unsettling. I agree that her picture is flawed but I wouldn't say that she has to solely do horizontal portraits on the left.
 
Juga,

When you have a subject positioned in a horizontal portrait, you generally want more space on the side where their eyes are mostly facing. Having a subject "looking" at the side of the frame that they're close to creates compositional tension.
 
Actually I think the problem is two-fold...

1. It doesn't look like an old polaroid, it looks like a very poorly executed attempt at one.
2. The old polaroid look is really cliché these days.

To the OP... don't fret about #1. You said yourself this is new to you and editing is a skill like any other. Practice and you'll get it. Then you can question whether or not you're doing something cliché. :)
 
Thanks everyone! I will play around again today and try different! Next time I will try to shoot her on the left for the horizontal portrait shot. :)
 
I think that is the purpose of the edit ... to make it look like a faded Instamatic snapshot from the olden days (and it should be more out of focus).

What you need is a blurry finger.

That's what I was going for!

WHY? Do you like OOF overly yellow images that do not show either the subject or your photography at their best?

It's a popular "look" these days, charlie. You're wayyyyyy too old for it,though....just like you're too old for cargo shorts, Speedo swim trunks, and 25-year-old women....now, 25 year-old-booze, OTOH, you're in THAT target market!!!! I think the original photo might have looked better framed as a tall, or, cropped to a square...that empty space on the left hand background side, with the girl off to the right, looking to the right, leads the eye out of the frame. The steel beam (?) that's kind of growing out of her head is a classic flaw...

I see this kind of faded effect processing is available in like 4,749 different filter effects packages on the interwebz....it has its place in today's photography "game"...

I remember when the wet-head look, with TONS of Brylcreem or Vitalis or Lucky Tiger slathered into a boy's hair was the norm....remember those days, cgipson??? Hair so saturated with hair tonic/hair groom/hair grease//pomade that chairs needed doilies?????
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom