What's new

What do you guys think??

That's what I was going for!

WHY? Do you like OOF overly yellow images that do not show either the subject or your photography at their best?

It's a popular "look" these days, charlie. You're wayyyyyy too old for it,though....just like you're too old for cargo shorts, Speedo swim trunks, and 25-year-old women....now, 25 year-old-booze, OTOH, you're in THAT target market!!!! I think the original photo might have looked better framed as a tall, or, cropped to a square...that empty space on the left hand background side, with the girl off to the right, looking to the right, leads the eye out of the frame. The steel beam (?) that's kind of growing out of her head is a classic flaw...

I see this kind of faded effect processing is available in like 4,749 different filter effects packages on the interwebz....it has its place in today's photography "game"...

I remember when the wet-head look, with TONS of Brylcreem or Vitalis or Lucky Tiger slathered into a boy's hair was the norm....remember those days, cgipson??? Hair so saturated with hair tonic/hair groom/hair grease//pomade that chairs needed doilies?????

Yea.. I know! But I still like Cargo shorts and 25 year old women! ;) lol! (you brought back memories.. I can still smell the Brylcreem!) :biglaugh:
 
SHocker of shocker Charlie--Brylcreem IS BACK ON THE MARKET!! Honest!

"A Little Dab'll Do Ya!" That slogan...is STILL on the product...I know cause I bought a tube of it last summer to show my son what old-school hair products were about. I swear...it's like Chinese restaurant deep-fry oil + toothpaste!
 
It's a popular "look" these days, charlie. You're wayyyyyy too old for it,though.
It sucks. It looks just as bad as many of the pictures in the J. Crew catalog that came in the mail the other day. ..............Oh, wait a minute. : )
 
Quite apart from the 'aig, I don't like that particular look, therefore it sucks and you are stupid' response, it's worth pointing out that the girls face and the overall background are rendered in almost exactly the same colors and tones, which makes it harder to look at.

I don't much like the look either, but that's irrelevant. You're trying to accomplish something here, and that's cool.
 
Quite apart from the 'aig, I don't like that particular look, therefore it sucks and you are stupid' response, it's worth pointing out that the girls face and the overall background are rendered in almost exactly the same colors and tones, which makes it harder to look at.

I don't much like the look either, but that's irrelevant. You're trying to accomplish something here, and that's cool.

Thank you! :)
 
Juga,

When you have a subject positioned in a horizontal portrait, you generally want more space on the side where their eyes are mostly facing. Having a subject "looking" at the side of the frame that they're close to creates compositional tension.


I fully agree with this 100%. It's not just with people. It's with anything that has a directional motion. Of course, in portraits, if the subject is looking toward the right side of the frame, that is where you want your negative space to be. If an automobile is facing to the right, same thing. You want your negative space on the leading side of the automobile. Airplanes, Tractors, Dogs, Cats, doesn't matter. You always want your negative space to lean to the leading side of the subject.
 
Juga,

When you have a subject positioned in a horizontal portrait, you generally want more space on the side where their eyes are mostly facing. Having a subject "looking" at the side of the frame that they're close to creates compositional tension.


I fully agree with this 100%. It's not just with people. It's with anything that has a directional motion. Of course, in portraits, if the subject is looking toward the right side of the frame, that is where you want your negative space to be. If an automobile is facing to the right, same thing. You want your negative space on the leading side of the automobile. Airplanes, Tractors, Dogs, Cats, doesn't matter. You always want your negative space to lean to the leading side of the subject.

Add the word "almost" after the word "You" in the last sentence, and I'd agree 100% with the above post!!!
 
Juga,

When you have a subject positioned in a horizontal portrait, you generally want more space on the side where their eyes are mostly facing. Having a subject "looking" at the side of the frame that they're close to creates compositional tension.


I fully agree with this 100%. It's not just with people. It's with anything that has a directional motion. Of course, in portraits, if the subject is looking toward the right side of the frame, that is where you want your negative space to be. If an automobile is facing to the right, same thing. You want your negative space on the leading side of the automobile. Airplanes, Tractors, Dogs, Cats, doesn't matter. You always want your negative space to lean to the leading side of the subject.

Add the word "almost" after the word "You" in the last sentence, and I'd agree 100% with the above post!!!

I will definitely keep that in mind when shooting next time!
 
I will chime in here because I tend to shoot with this haze effect quite often. (especially with backlighting) The only thing I do in post is generally increase the overall exposure and increase the vibrance a smidge. I will also selectively decrease the saturation of the yellows and oranges in the skin to make sure I don't get that yucky skin tone that can appear when using backlight. This edit is not working for me. Here is an example of one of my hazy shots.
$bluewedding-129.webp
 
I will chime in here because I tend to shoot with this haze effect quite often. (especially with backlighting) The only thing I do in post is generally increase the overall exposure and increase the vibrance a smidge. I will also selectively decrease the saturation of the yellows and oranges in the skin to make sure I don't get that yucky skin tone that can appear when using backlight. This edit is not working for me. Here is an example of one of my hazy shots.
View attachment 40577

Please dont take this personally, but why would you make the bouquet the focal point instead of her eyes?
 
I will chime in here because I tend to shoot with this haze effect quite often. (especially with backlighting) The only thing I do in post is generally increase the overall exposure and increase the vibrance a smidge. I will also selectively decrease the saturation of the yellows and oranges in the skin to make sure I don't get that yucky skin tone that can appear when using backlight. This edit is not working for me. Here is an example of one of my hazy shots.
View attachment 40577

OOOO, it's like a pretty piece of jewelry I want to put on and try myself :P I love it! How do you get this effect while shooting? I'll definitely go back and try to get out some of the yellows.
 
Fads come and go.

Yes, they do, and that was somewhat the point I was trying to make in my reply to cgipson1---but also, long-term "trends", like the entire wet look for men's hair styling, come and go. For many decades, the "wet head" look for men's formal hair was the norm....oils, tonics,pomades,and so on were relatively normal. That went on for literally decades, with men wearing hair tonics and pomades and cremes and oils in their hair for "formal" occasions of all types. Then, in the early 1970's, a corporation brought out the advertising slogan, "the wet-head is dead." I cannot recall exactly what their product was, but I THINK it was hair spray for MEN. I tell you what...just like, "Don't squeeze the Charmin!" and, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing," at that time TV advertising had a powerful and profound effect on Americans, as our MAIN source of information and cultural messaging.

Today, the internet and social media (Instagram, twitter, Facebook, etc) are HUGE, widespread image-sharing channels. We have seen not just a fad, but a long-term imaging trend in transition as these social media outlets have fundamentally changed the "look" many people expect in their photographs. New expressions, like "ducklips", or really obscene "photombing", as well as new poses, like "planking", are being brought into the field. Socially expected poses and expressions are the norm, the expected state of affairs, in photography. It seems like each decade has its own "look". This pale, filter-effects look the OP used is pretty popular.
 
I like my photographs to be classic and timeless. I think the post-process is too much.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom