What do you think of the color here?

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing with my levels and curves and wondering how the color is here? Any cc welcome.

53tjq0.jpg

The pinks look overly saturated on her scarf. The yellows and greens behind her head are competing for attention with her pretty fair hair. Perhaps the background highlights could be brought down a bit in brightness? Maybe a little?

The pinks look overly saturated on her scarf. The yellows and greens behind her head are competing for attention with her pretty fair hair. Perhaps the background highlights could be brought down a bit in brightness? Maybe a little?

I get this a lot. In my pictures, the background competes with the subject. I just can't figure out how to get the background darker without messing up the subject. When I select her and inverse to the background, change the levels, it looks odd. I def. don't like selective coloring either....

I get this a lot. In my pictures, the background competes with the subject. I just can't figure out how to get the background darker without messing up the subject. When I select her and inverse to the background, change the levels, it looks odd. I def. don't like selective coloring either....
You do that by using strobed (flash) light, and turning the camera to the vertical orientation so there is less backgraund in the scene. Using strobed lighting shutter speed is used to control (make darker) the ambient light and lens aperture controls the flash exposure.

When you select her, you can use Refine Edge to feather the selection before you invert it and use an exposure, levels, or vibrance adjustment layer to darken the background.

If all you have is GIMP or Ps Elements, your editing options are limited because you likely don't have a Curves tool.

Last edited:

You do that by using flash. Then shutter speed is used to control (make darker) the ambient light and lens aperture controlds the flash exposure.

Meant I didn't know how to change it correctly in pp. I didn't use the flash b/c she was moving so much, so fast. I personally really do like the bright, vivid backgrounds, but the cc I get on this forum is that it competes with my subject. Totally fine, love everyone's cc, but I really do like it!! :)

When you select her, you can use Refine Edge to feather the selection before you invert it and use an exposure, levels, or vibrance adjustment layer to darken the background.

If all you have is GIMP or Ps Elements, your editing options are limited because you likely don't have a Curves tool.

I have photoshop cs3. I will def. try this. Thank you.

Don't do anything with that background. That's how your eyes viewed this scene. Nothing wrong with that. You achieved an amazing bokeh. The color is amazing.

I am NO WHERE near a professional BUT coming from a mothers perspective I LOVE this picture-I kinda like all the colours :) as a mom I'd be very happy with that :)

I think you must have gotten rid of a lot of the pink out of her face, surely there was a pretty strong color cast from that pink scarf. :)

I think you must have gotten rid of a lot of the pink out of her face, surely there was a pretty strong color cast from that pink scarf. :)

I think you're right, I can even see it on her right fingers!

I do like the shot though.

Pretty girl =)

I think the skin was soft exaggerated. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back