What do you use editing software for?

simple edit using photoshop cs4
before
2yy3tpf.jpg

after
2n1rmaf.jpg

Yes thank you very much! So helpful indeed

A bit off topic but it says you posted those messages at 4:30am! Im guessing thats the time here in England.

Yes, It was only 8:30pm when I posted that! I do stay up to 2-3am most days anyway.

I'm glad it was helpful for some. :D

Grrr i just wrote a huge post and then it said something like the 'token had expired...'

Again.. :

Ive only had my camera for 4 days and so i shot these trees as they are right outside my window. - Subject is C**P i know, but i just did it to try editing :)

All photos are Jpegs. f/4.5 (for 1st photo) f/8 1/80 34mm

1. Original without polariser

2. with polariser - im amazed at the difference!

4229659904_1577d36d06.jpg

3. Edit 1 - first go at editing

4. Edit 2 - editing some more.... - cropped it a little bit

4229659090_aef15e6cd9.jpg

5. went for the B&W/Grayscale :)

4229658540_f2e7f4655a.jpg

Thanks! just my first goes at editing - please give me feedback :)

Last edited:
^^^

Wrong code for the pictures. Copy the image address and put it inside the IMG tags.

Haha, i did it and then a moment of 'Oh S**T ive c**ked this up!'

had a quick look at the guide thingy - searched for it, i have no idea where it is, and that sorted me out. Thanks for the help though!

I see you used the patch tool on the clouds and so it reminded me when i edited some photos for a friends magazine - i was 14 at the time so they arent great - they were taken with a P&S i think so quality isnt great either!

4229694478_675d51d154.jpg

4228928207_1b2f1bff2e.jpg

4229691954_7276a0ce5d.jpg

4229693576_cde66405cc.jpg

4228921815_6486142e4a.jpg

4229691116_da72164816.jpg

thanks to everyone who has posted in here. one of the most helpfull threads yet!

Thank you for telling me an idea of what you did! Puts me in the right direction to learn more :)

Well thank god you did. Im amazed at how you have put them together! The best thing about it is that when i look at it, it relaxes my eyes because of the soft colours - sounds 'gay' i know, but it really does! Im in awe.

I went ahead and posted what I did to each image. The pink shows the transparent on that layer.

Top image (_IMG_9701):
01-073a_mask.jpg

Middle Image (_IMG_9702):
01-073b_mask.jpg

Bottom image (_IMG_9704):
01-073c.jpg

Here's a screen print of the layers in CS2
01-073_layers.jpg

How did you select your area that was to be transparent? I'm familar with the layers and masks concept, but more from the selective coloring aspect where an individual just "erases" what they don't want on the top layer. Obviousy, you've done something different here.

If anyone else knows how to acheive the result HIkinMike did, please chime in.

I'd struggle with the original images, as I'd have to go back and find, resize, then pop them on a host, but these are a few rather more radical edits I've done.

All being well, you should be able to click on them and find out a little more detail of what was done to them.

How did you select your area that was to be transparent? I'm familar with the layers and masks concept, but more from the selective coloring aspect where an individual just "erases" what they don't want on the top layer. Obviousy, you've done something different here.

If anyone else knows how to acheive the result HIkinMike did, please chime in.

I use a soft brush (300px @ '0' hardness) as my default brush. I can then use the [ ] brackets to decrease/increase the size of the brush. I also vary the opacity to fine tune the mask.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:

I have been learning photoshop and really use it for tons of stuff. Color balancing, white balancing, dodging, burning, saturation, touching up portraits, B&W conversion. I am not at my home computer so I can't upload any examples right now. I would recommend checking out this book. Its a great reference book for just getting started. Photoshop CS4: Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks (Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks)

I liked your pics, but should mention one thing ( and maybe you were going for this effect ) Watch for unwanted color casts created in your photos when you do your adjustments. You should try using levels or curves to fix that. It looks like you brought up the red saturation for the bricks and in turn also gave the wood a yellowish tinge. Try masking off just the bricks, or using Color Range to select only the red in the bricks.

Original:

annie-posing1original.jpg

Finished Photo:

annie-posing1small-1.jpg

For this one, I straightened it up, as it was unbalanced, and cropped it some to make it a closer portrait. I cropped out all the background and left just the wood paneling in the background. I adjusted the color on the bricks to give them some warmth, and adjusted the brightness and contrast. I also sharpened her eyes up to make them more visual.[/QUOTE]

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back